1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My old Warwick, sell or keep?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jonah, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Sell

6 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Keep

24 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. Jonah

Jonah Lord of the String

Jan 19, 2007
    Vantaa, Finland
    Ok, here's the deal.

I have this old custom Warwick which I ordered in '98. I worked my ass off to pay for it, was only 16 at the time. After a *really* long search I found a NOS Kahler tremolo from Bass Central (God knows how old it is), and had it shipped to me (thanks Beaver!). It cost a friggin' fortune in that day.Then I convinced the Warwick CS to install it. Also, the EMG electronics it has, were not in the option list. Same thing, they were expensive, and the Warwick CS charged *a lot* to install them.

Ovangkol body, wenge neck, Kahler, EMG DC + 3-bang EMG EQ @ 18 volts.

Over three months after I sent the Kahler and EMG's to Warwick the bass arrived. It is really an awesome (and hugely expensive) bass.

But it rarely gets played nowadays. This is the main problem. It was my main and only bass for years and years, but now it just hangs on the wall. Maybe somebody else could have a better use for it. It sounds awesome and plays great. Perfect for recording. I just have other basses that get played more often. :rollno:

Should I keep it, incase I "find" it again, or just sell to someone who really has some use for it?

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading,
    Jonah

2. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Warwicks tend to have poor resale value, especially the ones made in '98 or later. Being a Fortress, however, might work in your favour now they're discontinued.

3. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    If it's one of the good ones with the all-wenge neck and original Just-A-Nut, I'd hold on to it.

4. Terrik

Terrik

Jul 21, 2007
    Alamo
    would i be gauche to say "Give to me!"... :p

imho...

it sounds like you love the bass..

i think you would find your "love" for it someday down the line, and regret selling it...

KEEP IT :D

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    On the ONE hand:

1) It's just a thing. A tool, a hunk of wood. Basses come and basses go, but there will always be more in the world. Why stick with this one if your tastes have wandered elsewhere?

B) It's true: someone else can be enjoying this bass. You could let it sit in your closet, but then it won't get the playing time that it deserves.

On the OTHER hand:

3rd) You saved up a lot of money at a young age to pay for the bass - you've got more than just the cash invested into it; you've got xx amount of hours at a crappy part time job (probably) and skipped movies, CDs, and concerts that helped pay for the bass.

IV) There are a few things about this bass that make it inherently "yours". It's not like if you realized that you were missing it you could go to the store or eBay and find another Fortress Masterman with a Kahler tremolo and EMG electronics.

6) They don't make Fortresses any more!

Which train of thought speaks more to you?

6. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I have to say keep it. Its YOUR custom Warwick. You will probably find a use for it at some poitn down the road, and something that unique that you paid for with blood, sweat, and tears will likely cause you huge regret if you ever sold it. Nice bass, btw.

7. Yeah...I kinda get the same thing with my Fender Jazz. It's a really nice bass, but I rarely play it because it's not really my style. I've thought about trading or selling the bass repeatedly. However, it's my first bass and I do still love it. Just that alone is what has justified me to keep it. I know I'll probably come back to it anyways, but as of right now, I'm just happy with it being apart of my family.

8. Jonah

Jonah Lord of the String

Jan 19, 2007
    Vantaa, Finland
    Some good points addressed here.

First, the resale value. It will be piss poor, the bass cost well over $3000. I'd be surprised if I would get get anything over $1000 for it, despite having an all-wenge neck and that "old-school" Warwick stuff.

Second, I'd bet my house that this is the only one with these specs.

But, at the moment it is just hanging at the wall. Not being played, and that's what makes me think about selling.

I don't know.

Damn.

Well, it does look pretty in my living room :)

9. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Get some 1" ~ 2" molding and a wall-mount guitar kit... Make a faux-frame on the wall and hang the bass in it.. PRESTO!!! COOL INSTANT ART!! :bassist:

10. Jonah

Jonah Lord of the String

Jan 19, 2007
    Vantaa, Finland
    That actually is a cool idea :ninja:

Hehehe

11. You would be a nut to sell that bass, its a beauty. Besides you worked your ass off to aquire the bass then went to whatever lengths to get that tremolo, its your bass.

12. Yeah...the only reason I'd ever tell you to sell that bass is because that is like my ideal bass. But seriously man, I think you should keep it.

13. I'm going to do that w/my 'player' basses(w/the wife's blessing, no less:eek: ). On topic, my first high-end bass was a bolt-on Thumb- sold it under similar circumstances(mine was a '98 I got for my B-day)& although it wasn't custom, I did pine for the wenge for years- in fact, I just paid for an older FNA(not Jazzman)4-string to complete my arsenal. I vote keep it.

14. I voted "keep it". Its too unusual a bass to let go. Plus it carries a lot of memories with it. Making or buying a nice wall mounted bass display case would be an option to consider. Plus, you can always take it down to play when you feel like it. ;) :D

15. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I wish I had my original guitars that I saved up for and personalized, you'll probably do the same if you sell it.

16. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    Do you need the money? How much would it fetch? How would you feel without it?

IIRC, you've been trying to sell it for some time. Personnaly, I'd keep it at least for sentimental reasons, and Selling a bass with that much depreciation (I'd figure, well < $1000 resale?) would be pointless. I think it needs a good shine and buff to make it look good and desirable again.

17. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    You posted this awhile back and it still amazes me. I have two older Warwicks and one newer one. I could always use a third older one. A Fortress One at that! :p :hyper:

18. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic

Apr 9, 2006
    I say keep...but I think you could get more than 1000 for it.

19. Jonah

Jonah Lord of the String

Jan 19, 2007
    Vantaa, Finland
    I posted the same question in Warwick.de forums a while ago... just thought I would get a more unbiased opinion in here. :meh:

I don't need the money. I really have no idea how much I could get from selling it, but I'd guess it wouldn't be even half of what I paid in the time... not a big surprise though as the market for these kind of basses is very limited.

Anybody more familiar with Warwicks, would it be a bad idea to give it a light sanding with steel wool or something similar? It doesn't look as good as it used to. Maybe a light sanding and a load of wax could to the trick?

Atleast I'd like it to look as good as possible if I decide to frame it :p

20. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I suggest you to keep it.
    You`ll surely never find a similar bass and your customization is after all, part of your own history.
    I`ve owned many basses in my life, but I`ve realized that some of them will be keepers for me.
    If it`s a great bass as you said, you`ll surely want to play it back someday. It`s just a matter of time.

Now if you really need the cash, that`s a completely different story.