1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBA rules/plays you hate

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'd like to start off by saying that I don't watch as much NBA as I used to, but still enjoy what I am able to catch a great deal. The athleticism and grace of some of the players is astounding, and the renewed focus on assists by some young players is great to see. I still like the playoffs and the jostling for position that leads up to them.

But some of the rules that exist and the plays that occur as a result really take the fun out of the game for me at times. My short list:

1) If you fake a shot and the man guarding you jumps to contest your shot, jump into his body, get up a half ***ed shot, then flop to the floor while yelling like a wounded banshee. You'll get a foul called every time.

2) If you're an all star guard or small forward, barrel out of control into the lane, run into somebody on purpose, yell, then flop with arms and legs flailing. You'll get a foul call 9 times out of 10. EDIT: and on that 10th time when you don't get the call, stare at/argue with the ref to make sure you get that call the next 9 times.

3) Traveling, period. What's so hard about the "2 steps and done" rule many of us older folks grew up with?

4) Palming the ball. It was illegal before, it should be illegal now.

I'm sure other folks will add to this beginning, and I'm curious to see what others have to say. I'd just like to add that D. Wade and Kobe are great players, but I might actually appreciate them a lot more if they didn't get away with 1) and 2) on multiple occasions every night, especially when it affects the outcome of the games and other "lesser" players don't seem to get the same consideration.

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Honestly, basketball just..no offense to fans, but i really hate the game. it is really uninteresting to me. Raise the hoop to 20 feet and i might watch it.

3. If the ball ejected 1 inch spikes in all directions every 5 seconds, it would certainly pick up the pace.

Though you have a point. The game was originally conceived as having a net higher than the players could reach, so they were forced to make skillful shots, no?

4. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I'm a fan of Kobe (not his mouth and attitude) and his playing but I'd like to add that he gets away with number 3 a lot too.

As does this guy. Also a great flop in this too.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=526583

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    +1 zillion

"Wont you give me three steps,
    Gimme three steps mister,
    Gimme three steps towards the hoop?"

Except make that more like 5.:meh:

6. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I follow pretty much every sport except basketball for the following reasons:

Every dunk is pretty much a travel
    There is no defense

7. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
  8. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    I don't follow the NBA much. I like individual players more than I like any team. The NCAA tournament though, I love that!

9. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Oh, I see he can't count once he reaches past the 6'5" mark, so we give him a pass? :eyebrow:

10. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    no they just tend to cut 7 footers a break when they decide to run. (they could hurt somebody!)

11. Olajuwon walked two miles a night throughout his career and was never called for it, so I can see how you'd get that idea.

12. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    im not a real fan of the sport... i can watch it occasionally though.

i think that they could make it more interesting by having boards around it like hockey/indoor lacrosse... that plus the ability to hit/check/fight without calling fouls would make it a sport to watch!

13. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    i agree. i'm in nc so it's all about college ball. i think i might be the only guy who likes the nba here. but i'm not ashamed... i love the nba. the athleticism is AMAZING. the stuff those guys can do blows my mind. and it's really cool to see a resurgence of team play and assists.

OH MY GOODNESS I CAN'T STAND THAT. i understand that if you get someone in the air and you go up for a real shot and they foul you that you should get that call. but HOW THE HECK DO YOU JUMP INTO SOMEONE and they are the ones that fouled you? i can't speak strong enough about how much i hate that rule.

agreed again. and this brings up two that are pretty annoying to me. focusing on that word flop... i wish they would come up with a rule that if there is an obvious flop that the player is fined and the other team gets the automatic points, two free throws and the ball back. they need to stop floppers - anderson varejao :spit:
    and the blocking/charge calls are so subjective. and that dang defensive circle.

agree. unless it's a "crab-dribble" :eyebrow:

hard to disagree with that.

i think other than flopping you pretty much nailed the things wrong with the nba. it's still amazing to watch. but i wish there were real basketball rules applied to them. but i do have to say.... lay off d wade. he's probably my favorite player in years. hope he gets the mvp. i don't think he will... but i think he should.

good post.

14. They need to do two things:

1) Re-instate the hand-check.
    2) Re-outlaw any type of zone defense.

Tough, down and dirty one-on-one defense is what made basketball great in the 80's. The guys that averaged 20-10 were not only talented, but tough as **** to boot.

15. crimson_basser

crimson_basser

Jul 9, 2008
    Montreal
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    The NBA is killing younger basketball associations trying to teach kids proper basketball. They see all their superstars traveling, carrying, forcing shots and fouls etc etc etc and bring it to their courts. Its terrible, because the quality of ball has degraded so much in the past years.

Take this from a ref of over 7 years.:rollno:

16. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the tuck rule......................oh sorry this is a nba thread:bag::D

17. HAHA.

The Wang Fu avatar is awesome, BTW. :D

18. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Exactly, they want to give LeBron a medal for passing like it's some alien talent. The kid moves without the ball, and plays fundamental b-ball well. That should not be a shock to the league, but apparently they haven't seen anything like it since the 80s.

+ the proverbial zillion about the carrying and traveling. More ball palming than the Bunny Ranch, and apparently if you can jump from the free throw line and dunk, you are allowed as long a run as you like to make it happen.

college b-ball rules! Go 'Cuse!

19. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I've seen more and more of that in the leagues my 11 year old son plays in. This past winter one of his coaches even told them not to watch the NBA. Instead he suggested watching women's college basketball since they play a game much closer to what the boys are playing at this age - passing, defense, setting up plays, shot selection, and especially no dunking.

I also hate the NBA rule that says the more you make per year the fewer rules you have to follow.

20. crimson_basser

crimson_basser

Jul 9, 2008
    Montreal
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    My dad is the director of all of the boys at my local league, and this year he changed all the team names from NBA names to college teams.

He also encourages the watching of college ball over NBA constantly.

Even though i must say, there are some things that are changing in college as well, nothing major (yet) but theyre starting to get away with a few calls, and i dont like it.