NBD: Steve Harris Sig P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fcleff, May 26, 2018.

1. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Picked it up today. It’s in really good shape cosmetically and functionally. Needs new strings and a setup, stat. The volume and tone knobs are a little tight against the pick guard. Sound is great. I look forward to plugging into the full rig soon.
    (I had to pick it up on my way to the weekend job at the liquor store, in case you were wondering about the backdrop.)
    04617A81-1ED4-4258-8A1E-58013588093A.jpeg
    f

2. GeorgeBassPlay

GeorgeBassPlay

Apr 27, 2013
    Play her in good health….

3. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    As I stated in my other thread about this bass, I was leary of the MIM designation. I have never played an MIM Fender that I liked until now. This bass is extremely well made and solid as a rock. It’s heavy but, as far as I can tell, not unduly so. Right off the bat, I think I will be really happy with this P Bass.

f

Spidey2112 and charlie monroe like this.
  4. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Nice bass, @fcleff! What body wood is yours? I just got a MIM Precision, in CAR (alder), and it's no more than 8.4 lbs (bathroom scale method).

Youngspanion likes this.
  5. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    This one is made of solid maple. That accounts for the heaviness (around 12 lbs.). And I love that it has a maple fretboard. I love playing on maple.

f

Arthur U. Poon and Spidey2112 like this.
  6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I love playing on maple cookies, eating them afterward...

... while I'm clothed, of course.

Enjoy that bass, sir! 4" strap, at the very least.

Loring and fcleff like this.
  7. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Maple on pancakes and waffles is good, too. Def gotta look for another strap.

f

Spidey2112 likes this.
  8. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    You a west ham fan?

-Asdfgh- likes this.
  9. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    No. I know next to nothing about sports. But Steve is a HUGE fan. So much so that he had the bass made with the WH colors on the pinstripes and the logo decal. Now I feel like I should be a West Ham fan just in case anyone ever asks at a gig. Or if I gig in England I’ll have enough knowledge to keep from getting beat up.

f

nonohmic likes this.
  10. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Just say 'The problem with Arsenal is they always try and walk it in'

That'll be enough to keep you from getting beat up

11. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    You see, this is why I love the the TalkBass community. They always have my back.

f

Robb Fesig, Microbass and Spidey2112 like this.
  12. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    It's probably best to check crowd attire first, and adjust comments, accordingly...

... :thumbsup:.

13. Nice! UP THE IRONS! \m/

hintz and fcleff like this.
  14. led4thehed2

led4thehed2

Sep 29, 2008
    Indiana
    Looks pretty cool. All of the stock photos I see online make the bass looks terrible. And then actual owners take pictures of theirs, I think it looks a lot better. For some reason. I have no idea why.

15. I’m forever blowing bubbles, pretty bubbles in the sky...
    They fly so high....
    @fcleff if this doesn’t make sense consider it homework for your new bass! :smug:

Never tried a SH and can’t say I’m a fan of his but I do like the look of his sigs! It’s pretty much my ideal looking P. Just needs tort :thumbsup:

Davbassdude and fcleff like this.
  16. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Congrats.

If the knobs feel tight against the pick guard, the fix is a simple matter of loosening the screws on the side of them, raising the knob slightly and holding it in the preferred place while re-tightening the screws.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    bobyoung53 and fcleff like this.
  17. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    yep, that’s exactly what I thought.
    f

18. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    That’s the wackiest story I’ve ever read. Funny you should post it as I had literally Googled ‘how to be a West Ham fan’.

f

Microbass likes this.
  19. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010

fcleff likes this.
  20. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    Being a Steve Harris fan i could be ok with playing the blue sig.....but never the west ham...(also a Manchester United Fan)

enjoy...btw how do you like that neck?

cheechi and Loring like this.
  21. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Doesn’t bother me a bit. I’m partial to the thin, fast neck on my Geddy but I have no qualms with the bulk of this neck.

22. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022