"Neck dive"...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by theFixer, Jun 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. theFixer

theFixer

May 30, 2017
    Michigan
    I've heard quite a few different terms to describe an effed up neck, but I'd never heard the term "neck dive" until I got to this forum. Would someone please enlighten me?

Willie and eJake like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Neck dive is nothing wrong with the neck, other than perhaps a heavy headstock - it's just the tendency of a poorly-balanced bass to have the headstock fall towards the floor when worn on a strap rather than hanging nice and level.

3. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    It can be a factor of materials like light body with heavy neck, heavy tuning keys, large headstock. It can also be due to strap button positioning. General rule of thumb is the upper strap button wants to be even with the 12th fret for good balance.

Gearhead17, eJake and theFixer like this.
  4. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    The biggest problem with neck dive is you end up using your fretting hand to hold the bass up and/or changing up your picking arm position to keep weight on the body.

Ewo, Gearhead17, gebass6 and 2 others like this.
  5. theFixer

theFixer

May 30, 2017
    Michigan
    Gooooootcha! My second favorite guitar I've ever owned, was a white Gibson SG, so I'm familiar with this "condition". It's weird that, in my 30+ years in & around music and musicians... I've never heard the term. I come to this forum, & I'm the only guy here who HASN'T heard it! I was wondering if it might've had something to do with the "plyability" (for lack of a better term) of the neck. For instance... with my Talman bass (as well as many other thin-necked low-end models), it's incredibly easy to raise or lower the pitch simply by applying forward or backward pressure on the neck. I shall henceforth refer to THAT condition as "rubber neckin'" to avoid confusion!

Thank you!

6. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Neck dive defined:
    When your bass neck goes HERE. Snapshot_20170414_5.JPG

When you want it to be here. Snapshot_20170414_7.JPG
    This bass,by the way,is not neck heavy.
    I had to make it "dive"for the pic.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  7. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

8. Rocknrollover

Rocknrollover

Apr 30, 2016
    thunderbird and neck dive go hand in hand....

9. It's not a very big surprise that you hadn't come across it before because the much shorter and lighter guitar neck wouldn't dive like a long scale bass. It's usually only bad if the strap button isn't at or close to the 12th fret. A wide strap with suede on the inside can help a bass stay where you want it to.

10. theFixer

theFixer

May 30, 2017
    Michigan
    We always used the term "neck-heavy". NBD... I can adapt! ;-)

Sartori likes this.
  11. cool breeze

cool breeze

May 13, 2016
    So you actually apply pressure to the neck of your bass when playing? I'm curious as to the benefit of this practice ! Thx

12. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    In some territories, it's a federal offense to force 'neck dive'...

... smart move photographing yourself, Mr. Federal Witness Protection Program man, as you went headless...

... which amazingly prevents neck dive...

... brilliant.

13. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    That was a random snipe. FWIW, I have three 'birds and don't have any neck dive issues.

hillerup, Sartori, jd56hawk and 6 others like this.
  14. BassUrges

BassUrges

Mar 14, 2016
    Denver
    FYI: "NBD" means "new bass day" around here.

15. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Same thing here. Have several TBirds and Firebirds from "back in the day" the 60's. And no issues. Neither with my Epi's but I have tried a few that did have that issue.

Did not know what to attribute that issue to as these were seemingly identical to mine.

16. physics

physics

Aug 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    I have a 2015 Gibson Tbird that had a mild to moderate tendency to neck dive. I experimented with different straps until I found one that minimized that behavior, a 4" Moody leather strap with suede backing. It seems to me that it's the suede that's doing the trick in keeping the strap from sliding on my shoulder.

Italia also makes a nice 4" leather strap with suede backing for about half the price of the Moody, might be a good choice.

davidprice likes this.
  17. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    To alleviate neckdive, search "adding tungsten to a bass body." :smug:

18. GBarnstable

GBarnstable

Apr 12, 2015
    My first 5 string bass had a wonderfully light swamp ash body and was probably under 9lbs. At the time I also had a 4 string bass with a solid padauk body that was close to 11lbs. The 4 string bass balanced perfectly on the strap while the 5 string would drop like a rock if I didn't support the neck and because of this was very fatiguing. At gigs I would play the 5 string as long as I could stand to wrestle it and then I would grab the heavier but better balanced 4 and play the rest of the night in comfort.

Sartori likes this.
  19. theFixer

theFixer

May 30, 2017
    Michigan
    uuhhh... not exactly. I'm just sayin' that, if pressure is applied forward or backward, the pitch changes. More easily on some than others. You've probably seen guitar players do it intentionally to achieve a vibrato effect or show off during a solo. I can't really think of a practical application for it in the world of bass... but I'd be willing to bet that Les Claypool has done it!

20. theFixer

theFixer

May 30, 2017
    Michigan
    HAH!!! It's "No Big Deal" in cell phone world. Again... I'll adapt.:thumbsup:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021