Need help

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by dbase, Jul 14, 2020.

1. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    My band is practicing in our studio without amps.. we use a Berhinger X32 console and a headphone amp so everyone has their own channel with volume controls.. Drums are electronic and go into the board also. I record the sessions with a Tascam Dr-44WL. My problem is that I cant hear myself in the mix. I'm tired of constantly asking the guitar player to give me more gain (he runs the board from the other side of the room). Sometimes I turn on my bass pre-amp for more boost, but he compensates saying I'm red lining the board. I want to be able to control my volume on my own and also hear the mix without interfering with the signal going to the board. What do I buy? ;)

2. ahadl2500

ahadl2500 Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    Have not used either... but if you can find a Mackie HMX-56 it would do it at a basic level. Roland HS-5 should also work well, but at a much higher price (due to significantly more features than the Mackie).

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    That x32 can do multiple monitor mixes. Can you do your own mix? And record it.

4. spantini

spantini

Jun 13, 2020
    Lakeland, FL USA
    +1^

DirtDog likes this.
  5. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    Limiters can be set via the x32 to keep you from going into the red, cutting frequencies below the audible level might help with that as well.

Also, you could buy a Behringer P-16M to plug into the ultranet port of the x32. It's not cheap @ $300 but it gives you control over your own mix once you get it setup, and just takes a cat5e cable. Other members can buy them and you can daisy chain the ultranet connection so they have their own personal mixers as well. I've been using one and it honestly saves a lot of time and has pretty much eliminated those conversations I was having with the owner of our M32, aside from getting the initial gain level high enough to have some headroom in my personal mix. There's an initial setup hurdle, but once done, it gives any member using one control over what they hear. And setup only needs to be done once, if any other member adds their own p-16M, all they have to do is plug into the first p-16m in the chain and they have control over their own headphone output, no additional setup required after the first one is routed.

People tend to start playing harder/louder once the jamming actually starts.. so getting our individual mixes right was kind of a PITA before I put the p-16 on a microphone stand and had the owner of the m32 set it up for the first time. Now we focus more on playing.

One thing is for sure, a guitar with its higher frequencies can sound louder with less dB than we do with our low end instruments just on how our ear hears the frequency spectrum.

Caveat with the P-16m, it's only going to work with something like the X32 or the Midas M32, which is what they were designed for.. so if you ever leave this situation.. unless you find yourself in another situation using a mixing board like this it kind of becomes useless, or a used piece of gear to sell, unless you also go for a P-16I

The P-16I would have to be used to use it with any other mixer without the built in ultranet port found on the X32 and M32, and whatever that is would need enough sends to cover the band, and at that point everybody in the band would likely need the P-16M. (the P-16I has 16 1/4th inputs that can be routed to the ultranet connection)

The X32 has it's own ultranet port though, so you can use just one without it being a required piece of gear for everyone else.

In my situation, another member bought one, and then sold it to me for $200 when it was determined he wasn't a fit for the band.. so myself and the guitarist always have control of our personal mixes, and the drummer/owner of the M32 sets his mix at the board.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    seamonkey likes this.
  6. ahadl2500

ahadl2500 Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    Ignore my post. Didn’t realize which Behringer that was. Pay attention to the other replies. Should be a way to make your current setup do something for you.

7. Tosh

Tosh

Jul 12, 2020
    Salem, Oregon
    I fixed that problem in a previous band by using a small secondary mixer, placed near the guitar player (the one who asked for "more" in his mix). Gave him his own gain controls, made him happy, and kept the main board out of the red. I used a pre-fader send from his input routed back to a FX return in the small mixer, to augment his level, in his ears only.

dbase likes this.
  8. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Get the X32-Q app for your phone or tablet. You can control your monitor mix directly from this for $0. Way better than relying on your guitarist.

The question is the headphone mix. Are you sharing a mix or does everyone have their own. If everyone has their own, you're set. If everyone shared, buy a Behringer P2.

Even, if you have separate mixes on the current headphone amp, I'd still consider the P2 just so the volume control is on your belt or music stand instead of on the other side of the room.. Now you can control your mix (via the app) and volume (via the P2) for around $40. Or get the P16M for $300.

9. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Try an HPF to prevent clipping... But also running separate monitor mixes seems like a good plan.

10. tchristian

tchristian Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Missoula, MT
    That mixer must have more than one auxiliary send. You'd need another headphone amp.

11. I don't understand whether you record it using console outputs, or using Tascam's mics. If you are using mics, you might benefit from looking for the right spot in the room, where the sound is best, and put your recorder there. In my experience, this is the fastest method to get reasonable rehearsal sound.

I would also think that if you can't find agreement with your guitar player, more equipment won't solve it. He's surely not mixing only by the red lights, he's using his ears. If you get louder, he'll turn you down. This might be because he might be sitting in a place where the bass is just louder.

Much can be achieved by shifting people and equipment around the room.

dbase likes this.
  12. Have everyone else turn down, like it should be.

13. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Hearing yourself in the mix is a skill to be developed. If you're running the same mix for everybody in-ear, get used to your levels being lower than when you play with an amp pointed at your ears.

I prefer individual mixes with my instrument up a little, but I can deal with a FOH mix if it's balanced. It takes a lot of practice to do that without overplaying.

I worked with a rhythm guitarist who never figured this out. We had a single frontline Mon mix, and he always had to be the loudest in that mix. But he still complained he couldn't hear his guitar, overcompensated by playing harder, and constantly broke strings.

Make sure you've got your IEMs fitted properly. If they don't seal up your ear hole you'll lose most of the bass. For rehearsals I like a good pair of over-the-ear studio headphones.

Just go for it likes this.
  14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I'm not sure what you're asking, nor if I have an answer, but since I saw you live close-by... this might be something you'd be interested in. I bought it a while back because there was a blowout sale, and never even opened it up. Its I guess what you'd call new old stock. Anyhow... if it might be able to help, I'd be willing to let it go for $100. The one in the link isn't mine... but it has all the info JamHub BedRoom 5-Section Silent Rehearsal Studio System | Reverb .

15. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    My band uses a Behringer X32 board. I adjust my personal monitor mix with the X32 cell phone app.

Goatrope, JRA and dbase like this.
  16. Relsom

Relsom

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    We use an X-32 Rack. We're a 7 piece. 4 are using P16Ms and 3 using the M32Q app. Personally, I love the P16M. Much more versatile and user friendly than the app, IMO.

17. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    We are all using headphones. guitars, bass and drums(electronic) go into the board, singers use mikes. then we all plug into our own headphone amp channel. Tascam plugs into the board output and records the sessions, works great. (short story here) me and two guitar players chipped in to buy a complete (old iron) JBL pa system, Berhinger x32 board, 4 QSC RMX 2450 power amps, two subs(4x18's), 2 towers (2x15's+horn), and 4 stage monitors (1x15+horn), 2 light towers with 8 Slimpar 56 lights and DMX controller and also an enclosed trailer to tow it to gigs. We use just the board at our practice site. Now since the board is at the guitars players house where we practice, he has had people over showing him how to work the board, it's complicated. I haven't had a chance to play with it and have no idea how to work it so I rely on him. I want my channel on the board to give me everyone including me but I want only me to be a little louder so I can hear myself above the others.

18. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I have an Android tablet I use for song charts... does the app only work on Apple?

19. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    My cell is an Android.

dbase likes this.
  20. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Turn your gain down, and up your volume on the board. If you're properly gain staged, you won't redline anything.

dbase likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021