1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need some Ibanez hollow body help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BobDeRosa, Nov 9, 2018 at 6:43 AM.

1. BobDeRosa

BobDeRosa Supporting Member Commercial User

May 16, 2012
    Penfield, NY
    Owner, Tritone Jazz Fantasy Camps
    Hey Folks, I'm thinking about adding a used hollow or semi-hollow bass to the herd, just because many of the gigs I play generally call for a mellower sound.

Ibanez makes two that look interesting -- the SRH500, fretted or fretless, with only a piezo; and the SR30th anniversary 4, which has a much smaller body cavity but offers the advantage of both magnetic (Bartolini) and piezo pickups.

I played the fretless SRH500F in a store and liked it a lot, but am a little concerned about limited tonal range with just the piezo. Haven't had a chance to play the 30th anniversary model (called SR30TH4, I think).

Anyone have experience with either or both? Thanks very much.

2. Jewce

Jewce

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    That bass is amazing. I feel the fretless version just sounds and feels far more acoustic/hollow than the fretted one does. To me at least. But, just an all around great instrument. If you can play them, do it. You'll love it. Everybody does.

BobDeRosa likes this.
  3. BobDeRosa

May 16, 2012
    Penfield, NY
    Thanks very much, Jewce. That SRH500 has certainly gotten good reviews and I know it's fun to play. So you don't find the piezo-only tonal range limiting at all?

4. Jewce

Jewce

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    What do you mean?

5. BobDeRosa

May 16, 2012
    Penfield, NY
    I'm assuming you can get a wider tonal range out of two different types of pickups -- like the 30th Anniversary bass offers -- than only a piezo. Probably a tough question if you haven't had the opportunity to compare the two.

6. Jewce

Jewce

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    Yeah, I've only tried the standard. But I guess you would be correct, if they came out with one that had two types of pickups. But the reality of the matter is really that I would only use the sound I liked the most anyway. Like a P, or a neck J, or a neck soap bar, etc. I also dont care for active eq, so I always play either passive instruments, or actives straight flat.

7. BobDeRosa

May 16, 2012
    Penfield, NY
    I'm sorry, Jewce. No wonder you were confused! I guess I've been looking at too many hollow bodies lately. It's the Cort fretless that has both magnetic and piezo pickups. My apologies. B4FL MHPZ