1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need some string suggestions!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by CygnusZero, Nov 6, 2018.

1. CygnusZero

CygnusZero

Oct 20, 2017
    Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
  3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    TI jazz rounds.

Pbassmanca, ELG60 and Element Zero like this.
  4. CygnusZero

CygnusZero

Oct 20, 2017
    They are $70 and dont even have great reviews on amazon.

5. CygnusZero

CygnusZero

Oct 20, 2017
    Which do you like the most?

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Yes they’re $70 and Amazon reviews aren’t a universal consensus. You asked for opinions with two qualifiers. That’s mine.

SM2, Pbassmanca, packhowitzer and 3 others like this.
  7. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    My top three are fender, daddario and ziko

Sanchan likes this.
  8. Wide open question = wide open responses. Hope you're willing to try every set that is going to be recommended here. ;)

Pbassmanca and knight of ni like this.
  9. CygnusZero

CygnusZero

Oct 20, 2017
    Ill try some of them. Not all obviously if I get a lot of suggestions. Im going to order those fenders the other guy mentioned and see how they are. I dont think ive ever played fender strings that Im aware of.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  10. CygnusZero

CygnusZero

Oct 20, 2017
    I tried some rotosounds a while back and they were causing a lot of fretbuzz issues which I guess is common with them? Thats what I heard anyway. I used to use Daddarios a lot when I was younger and always liked them, but this set that I got recently that I posted a link to did not last long at all. It was like an absurdly short amount of time before they were completely dead.

11. Fender strings are now made by D'Addario, though to Fender specs. So, they will be similar (not identical) in tone and feel to the EXL220 you mentioned. Not sure whether they'll last longer than the D'A XL Nickels.

12. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    If you liked the D'addario xl220, you might try some of the round core DRs in a more conventional gauge.

HolmeBass likes this.
  13. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    I just put Ernie ball super slinky's cobalts on my sterling and love the sound. Also tried Dunlop super brites on my p and loved em. I tried to coated Ernie balls also and they are very very mellow which to me just makes the E sound dead. Took em off after maybe 6 hours of play

Maiden Bass likes this.
  14. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio

Shocked how much I liked the Super Slinky's.......might need to try a set

rob_thebassman likes this.
  15. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Have you ever played a new Fender?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  16. CygnusZero

CygnusZero

Oct 20, 2017
    Heh, sort of. Ive played them at guitar centers, but you know how that goes, the strings have been sitting on those basses for months, if not years, so they are always complete trash. So technically yes I have played fender strings, but not fresh ones.

17. G-Z

G-Z

Apr 13, 2018
    Straya
    GHS Pressurewounds

Pbassmanca, Kukulkan61 and Joedog like this.
  18. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    There really isn’t much of a difference. Fender, daddario, regular Ernie Balls....they’re all fairly similar. Just generic roundwounds. Not bad but nothing special. If you liked the daddario nickles than you’d kinda be wasting money on similar strings. DR would be significantly different. Dunlop super brights too. Cobalts, pressure wounds, alloy 52, TIs and so on are really more unique and noticeably different.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  19. One's "dead" is another's "well-broken-in"... When the OP complained about the D'A XL Nickels "going dead" too soon, I took it to mean they lose their initial brightness too quickly. If the fresh zing is what the OP is looking for, the Pressurewounds may not be the best option as they basically come out of the package sounding like already-broken-in nickel rounds, which is what I personally love about them.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  20. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK?
    Those Ziko sound pretty good, Chinese imports, first I am hearing of them, I can only find them in extra light both 4 and 5...hows the longevity and tension on them in your opinion?

Pbassmanca likes this.