1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New 2019 Rickenbacker Bridge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maestro29, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggbassplayer.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    That must be the hipshot bridge? It doesn't have the mute assembly.
    EDIT- sorry, I see you were replying about an issue with Hipshot

2. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    It’s called “go away” pricing. They are in the bass/guitar making business, not the aftermarket parts business. They focus on their core mission. They’ve compromised on an accommodation for those with strong interest in repair/upgrade. There isn’t a boundless number of customers who would pay for this product. Ric has a feel for what moves and what doesn’t. They are following their business model with information no TB member has, combined with their experience in the business.

It’s not about a win-win, best case scenario for them. It’s not about maximum unit sales. Same reason they have no import line.

This is a like a popular single person who gets plenty of dates for their liking, and feels no need to arrange their schedule to get more dates, nor ensure everyone gets a date.

Ukko, Picton and lug like this.
  3. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    I understand your point. Think of it this way: there have been complaints about overall Ric bass bridge design since the beginning, including the specific topic of (not) having individual saddles. It is one of the common complaints among many customers, over a long period of time. They finally decide to address the topic with a redesign, knowing that it can resolve the issue for a potentially very large existing customer base (the people who gave the feedback that led to the redesign), and instead of making it an easy drop-in replacement, they make the installation process complicated and charge an unnecessary high price?!? With a drop-in design they could stay true to their core business AND satisfy existing customers - so why not do that - why must the two be mutually exclusive?

I understand the concept of focusing on core business, but like most things there should be a balance, and they seem to focus to their own detriment. As I wrote - they just don't get it, IMHO.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  4. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I see your point as well.
    For all I know, they see design change as an admission of prior error. Sticking to their guns may give them comfort. We have no clue what’s driving the decision, other than ownership with a comfort in their own vision. A small group of Internet malcontents vs. their known sales numbers over decades. I’m guessing they’ve got it figured out so that they live the lives they want to live. I accept the 4003 as an art, not a science. I’m happy with mine.

5. Teijo K.

Teijo K. Commercial User

Sep 8, 2014
    Jyväskylä, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: CCP
    I would much rather take light tuners. I would have actually rather have light tuners than that new bridge. I could take of that counter weight I have zip tied in my strap to make the bass balance more to my liking. :D

6. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
  7. RissKippery

RissKippery Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Have you contacted them? Worth a shot I’d say.

8. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Just did earlier tonight, in fact... so we'll see what they say.

RissKippery likes this.
  9. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Commercially available. The new production basses have them installed. Aftermarket purchases are available too. It started with the limited edition AC model, but became the new standard.

10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I think the up-against-the-end-of-the-neck placement to be perfect, for me. :thumbsup:

Different strokes for different folks I guess. :)

The old hairpin rods used straight channels in the neck, whereas, the modern compression rods have curved channels, similar to those on Fender/Gibson/etc. necks. That, most likely, explains why the newer neck are generally, thicker. I will say though, that the neck on my old 4001V63 was virtually the same as that on the two '73 4001 basses I had.

bobyoung53, Picton and Teijo K. like this.
  11. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Same thing here. That’s why my hipshot bridge sits in a drawer and I call it a hot mess in every thread where it’s relevant. I’ve had the saddles even flip over with little more attack. Not. Fit. For. Purpose.

Garret Graves likes this.
  12. Teijo K.

Teijo K. Commercial User

Sep 8, 2014
    Jyväskylä, Finland
    I need space right under the neck to scoop pops, absolutely essential for me, and at 48 I am too old dog to unlearn it. :roflmao: I fully get your point though. Different styles of playing and all that.

Jeff Scott likes this.
  13. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    @Teijo K.
    Was your bass neck heavy right from the start? The walnut basses seem more prone to that with a lighter body. Some people have countered that with a Hipshot brass bridge, which is heavier than the aluminum ones. The Hip shot HB-5 are drop in, but only a little lighter.

Teijo K. likes this.
  14. Teijo K.

Teijo K. Commercial User

Sep 8, 2014
    Jyväskylä, Finland
    It's not super neck heavy, the headstock doesn't drop if I let go of the neck. I just want the neck pointing up a little. Honestly I would also rather take a little weight of, than add some. So that's why the lighter tuners would work better. I used to build my basses, so I am not afraid of drilling holes y to them. Not just keen on using money on stuff I may not like, at least before the car repair shop gives me an estimate on that new clutch. :roflmao:

Jeff Scott and Gilmourisgod like this.
  15. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    It seems like they were looking to avoid anything that would require two exposed screw holes in the chromed "hood" at the back, hence the separate string retainer. Remember the attempted tail lift cure by adding two screws? People hated the look. This isn't the only bass with a separate string retainer, this one is just concealed. Yeah, it's borky and overcomplicated. Ric does respond to customer complaints/preference, but at a mind bendingly glacial pace. And really, if people are willing to put up with bad design features that don't hurt sales one iota, why should they? I agree, they don't really care if people buy this aftermarket, they don't have to.

Guzzi Toad likes this.
  16. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    Step 6...

Jeff Scott and Guzzi Toad like this.
  17. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    Nope; still exists. It’s not an issue unless you’re digging in hard, but your d and g string saddles can be knocked out of their channels by playing fff notes. My fix is to keep a pick between those saddles for stuff like the Immigrant Song and Schism so they keep themselves true.

18. Guzzi Toad

Guzzi Toad

Mar 10, 2019
    Indeed.
    And the four tailpiece mounting holes are slotted so any variation in longitudinal location can be accommodated.
    As I said before, it looks like a well thought out kit. But I guess if you don't want it to work, its guaranteed to be a failure. A modicum of lutherie/fabrication/wood-working skills are required. ie ... you have to be smarter than it.
    As in all aspects of life, the ability to read and follow instructions is essential.

19. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    Have you tried a strap lock? It’ll add probably 2cm to the horn...

20. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    The mute itself does. The "cage" that surrounds and covers the mute does not. It's an integral part of the casting. When Ric folks talk about "teeth" on the bridge, that cagelike thing is what they're referring to.

They're right that it's hard to palm mute. But there are several workarounds.

This.

A lot of people here don't get that Rick has its niche, seems satisfied with it, and doesn't want to become FMIC. They have people willing to pay exorbitant prices for EVERY INSTRUMENT THEY MAKE, both new and used. By that metric, the only one that really matters in a capitalist society, why should they make any kind of major change?

They certainly shouldn't, without thinking about it very carefully. They lived through (and, I'm sure, watched carefully) Norlin and CBS. They know what happens when you expand in an ill-considered way.

Phud and Guzzi Toad like this.