1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Bass Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iriegnome, Jul 18, 2007.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    OK. The age old question - - I have a budget of $2000. I want a 5 string. HELP!!! I live between Chicago and Milwaukee and there are no places where I can try anything like what I am looking for. I think I would prefer 35" scale and a Maple Fretboard, but I really like the Modulus Q5's. I have not played one, but I like the look.
    Any suggestions would be a great help.
    Thanks

2. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Here are some thoughts I have. Modulus, Music Man, Fender Deluxe, Dingwall are a few of the names I am thinking. I don't like G&L or Lakeland, Sadowsky or ESP, Ibanez, Washburn, ect.

3. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I'd visit the Lakland place in Chicago if I lived that close to it and had 2k to spend.

4. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    2k isn't going to get you a Lakland new, sorry.

Try MusiciansFriend.com to check on prices. They have a decent selection. Also try www.bassnw.com or www.atlantabassgallery.com for higher end things.

5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    The have a Modulus Q5 and an EBMM SR5 HH. Both are very good basses.

The Modulus is one of the best basses I have ever played...period. The sound is incredible, the playability is phenominal, the look is awesome. The low B is awesome. It's my go-to bass for anything but slap.

The SR5 is another super awesome bass. I really like it. The low B is very good for a 34" scale. It plays great and sounds great as well.

I usually put equal time to both basses.

I don't think that $2K will get you a new Modulus though. And you might want to rethink a Sadowsky USA 5er. They are REALLY nice. I'd like one, but my Wal or home built Wal is coming first!

6. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Heh??? I didn't see him specify it had to be a US model. Nor did I see him say it had to be brand new. I took it to mean new to him. He could easily find a slightly used US model in that price range. Anyway, a new Skyline is definitely under that price.

7. Hmm, I have a PV Cirrus 4 and 5, as well as a EBMM SR4. I wouldn't trade any of them. I didn't hear what music you play, but if it were me, I would get both a Cirrus and a Stingray used. They have different sounds but both are great. The PV has two soapbar single coils and the Stingray has one big humbucker, so you can really cover some tonal variation. Actually, I got both of mine used off the 'bay and never regretted not spending double. Both are MINT and I got them for about $850 each. Never discount the idea of used when your talking about quality equipment. The instruments are usually very well taken care of because they are so valuable.

8. Yeah, I agree with that. Cirrus and Stingrays are great for the price, and even better for the used price. Bongos are not just a gimmick, too, they have great sound and playability. You could also look for custom stuff. Valenti is the best bass I've ever played, and he does work for under 2000. Do a search and you'll find a lot.

9. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Lakland. No question.

Here's a Lakland 55-02 Deluxe for $2100

Lakland 55-02 Deluxe

or a Lakland 55-02 for $1900

Lakland 55-02

You could get a 55-02 right from Lakland with their Lakland pickups and preamp for about the same price. You won't find a better B string.

10. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I play Jam style. 90% free form and lots of groove. Very 1974 Grateful Dead. New to me is what I am looking for. I don't mind used at all. Especially with skyrocketing prices of New basses.
    The guy at Lakeland actually assembled my "Custom Modulus" that I had built for me.
    I don't like Lakland or G&L because they are way to "Fender". I think if I want a Fender, buy a Fender.
    I don't at all have my mind made up with anything yet. So, I really would not even rule out a G&L or Lakland, if I could play one.

11. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Maple Fretboard options would be cool as well.
    I know Mod does not do them on the Q5, but I have seen them on the G5

12. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Obviously, you need an Alembic. ;^)

13. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Series II - $36,000 with all the options I picked :eek: :bassist:

14. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    $2000 would go a long way on a Stingray5, but they are 34" scale. They do have a great low B, so if you aren't totally hung up on scale length, I would give it a whirl. Fender 5 strings are also 34". Modulus will give you 35" scale, but not likely to find a maple fretboard and will definately have to go used. Dingwalls are probably the best basses I have ever played. The Afterburner I is in your price range or close enough to it. It has no maple fretboard, but wenge is much better than rosewood. Dingwall low B slams!!!

I would go Dingwall AB-1 myself, with the EBMM Ray5 HH w/ maple board being a very close second. Also, maybe consider the Fender Custom Classic line as they are REALLY nice and a little under $2k brand new.

15. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    if you considered a used bass then an F-bass or an AB I or AB II Dingwall would give you great bang for the money. Other options are Kinal basses or US Masters too

16. Stingray 5 H or HH, but it is a 34" in scale-sounds amazing though...

Spector Euro's are in your price range and are 35" scale...comes down to tone of the EMGs.

17. sjb64

sjb64

Aug 2, 2007
    Hold out for a used Lakland 55-94; you can buy one used for under $2K if you're willing to wait.

18. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Have one made to spec!!