1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New GK 800 Legacy!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnson79, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Clemouze

Clemouze

Sep 1, 2016
    Paris - France
    Yes , same.

Someone please?
    More bass, cristal trebles and midscoop on the MB and more grind and grunt, drivy mids on the RB ?

J-Dub and LeonD like this.
  2. Hoping for a 610 or 810 cx cab to go with these new high wattage heads

3. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I dig the new Legacy amp and it's probably the only D class head I'd be interested in getting, especially if it gets close to 800RB that I've always wanted. That said, I feel bummed about RB being discontinued. Feels weird that a juggernaut powerhouse like 2001RB will no longer be produced (I gig this amp, it's an absolute beast). I mean, Ampeg still makes SVTs.

But everyone's doing these D class amps now. It's all just ICE power modules and different preamps really. I've heard some nasty rumors about a lot of these amps having a weaker poweramp module than their rating (not talking about GK here, but I did hear that about Eich).

So, both cool and sad for me.

4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Nope. A number of companies are making bespoke Class D power sections.

5. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Fine, but, how much better than ICE can it get? Not really IMO.

6. My favourite marketing gimmick is the so-called "Class-T" amp put out by Tripath - just their marketing-speak for their own Class D arch. They practically claimed they solved world hunger with that solution. lol!

mouthmw likes this.
  7. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    RB amps have a specific power amp that works wonders when pushed. It was one of the main characteristics of GK amps and one of the reason I loved all of the ones I had. D class amps don't do that, and don't have the same heft and response of a well designed big transformer power amp. Portability wins out tough.

8. Who says Bob can't get a class-D module to respond the same way?

El Apestoso and agedhorse like this.
  9. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    That would be pretty cool. Right one, nobody wants to push the D class power amp into any clipping.

Red Planet likes this.
  10. You don't have to push a class-d amp into clipping to do what Bob did with the RB series. He does have the knowledge to develop anywhere down the chain from the power amp to make it happen. Let's let him work his magic and see what he comes up with. I'm sure the new products will be satisfying.

11. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    Aguirar's AG500 is class T.

12. It's just a marketing gimmick. There is no real "Class-T" power amp structure that I know of.

13. Oh man, these amps look awesome.

What do they weigh? Any idea?

14. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    You must not be familiar with any high quality class D amps. You are underestimating both the quality and potential IMO.

sludgetail, TinIndian and kpc like this.
  15. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
  16. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    There is a difference in the sound though. I know, because I have both.

17. Yes, but the difference is absolutely not attributed to being Class-D or not, because it IS Class-D.

18. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    I have all the Aguilar amps and My AG500 sounds different then all the rest. It's cleaner with lots more midrange. It just is.....

19. That's because the AG500 has a completely different (older) preamp than any of the later Aguilar products, as far as I can remember. It's voiced like some of the older Aguilar products and tastes changed. I think the old DB 3XX series preamp "voice." I think there was even more than one revision of the AG500 power section.

There's so much of it that's different from other Aguilar products you can't attribute it to solely the power-amp module. I mean, it also had a toroidal transformer in it, instead of a switching power supply if that matters to you.

aledeville, tombowlus and Clemouze like this.