1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New GK 800 Legacy!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by johnson79, Jan 25, 2019.

1. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    \

Class T is just Tripath's trademarked implementation of class D. It's still a PWM based class D topology.

Are they both the same preamps?

Correct IMO.

That's like comparing a Chevy Vega to a Nova, they are both Chevys but they are DIFFERENT amplifiers even if they wear the same nameplate. You could put the Nova motor in place of the Vega motor and the Vega still wouldn't perform the same as the Nova.

2. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    One of the reasons I just can't get rid of it. I has two channels and one with saturation with lots of control on the second channel. Just a great bass head.

agedhorse likes this.
  3. Can we get back to talking about the Legacy?

4. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    You would have to have a solid state and a class D with the same pre amp to know if they sound different.

gepettus and agedhorse like this.
  5. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Still waiting for a video. Its been over a year since they first announced the new line of amps. 2 NAMMs and not a single sound clip.
    Im very interested in this amp. I loved my RBs tone but cant beat the weight of my MB Fusion. The question is do these get the classic GK grind and what wattage is going to be enough volume test still low enough enough to get the power section working with out over powering the rest of the band.

sludgetail, BrentSimons and Clemouze like this.
  6. Blankandson

Blankandson Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    You might want to check out the Gallien Krueger Club thread on the new GK amps. Several on-line retailers are taking orders currently. Also have you looked at the GK Facebook page?. Move over to this:
    Gallien Krueger Club. GK Rules ! and go back to page 498, enjoy.

7. Clemouze

Clemouze

Sep 1, 2016
    Paris - France
    Guys I SEE you talking about how you love your RB tone but also the MB weight so could you please bring the light to me by answering my question ? :'(

8. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Let me suggest you ask here: Gallien Krueger Club. GK Rules !. There will be a much larger audience, and many who will be able to answer your question.

Clemouze and wave rider like this.
  9. Having used both, I believe that the grunty, drivy mids on the RB series is doable on the MB series heads. The MB500 definitely can, with its boost control and gain design. It has the most familiar control system if you put it right up against the RB.

The other heads will get you there, but you lose the front panel G.I.V.E. Boost control. It's still in the preamp, you just have to get it by playing with the gain controls and the EQ. Many people here just refuse to play with the controls on their amps and then blame the manufacturers for taking things away.

I don't think the point of the MB series was to completely duplicate the RB series heads on every product. Each of the MB series heads is slightly different (more than just output power).

Clemouze likes this.
  10. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Oh yeah? Name me one D class amp where it's desirable to crank up the power amp so that it's clipping. Maybe there's potential, but I don't think there's one amp that does what G.I.V.E. did on RB heads.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter. A good tone is a good tone, whichever way it's achieved. I've tried great D class amps (Aguilar, Darkglass, etc). I loved the Darkglass Microtubes amp tone (fantastic overdrive tones out of that one), and I really wanna try the new Legacy amp. I have nothing against D class amps.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  11. I agree! Why did I sell the gk800rb that was built like a tank and sounded so good, to replace it with Trace, Ampeg and other amps that I didn´t really like? And that broke down on me during gigs?!

I am very satisfied with my EBS Reidmar but I hope I get a chance to try the new GK Legacy.

jeff7bass and TomB like this.
  12. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I have been gigging a GK MBF 800 for several years and it is still very impressive. Enough that I am tempted to try one of the new Legacy 800's. But I am hanging onto my MBF800. It is incredibly musical. I too wonder about the sonic/voice differences of the Legacy 800 versus the MBF 800.

13. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

Me too... I'll wait and see how it goes when they hit the street.

14. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I'm curious about this too!

I don't know which design characteristics allow the RB-Series amps grunt in such a glorious way, but I'd guess that RAG (as the guy who designed that circuit in the first place) could figure out how to duplicate that behavior earlier in the signal path.

Then, you just have to deliver that grunty, growly, dynamic signal to a lightweight, efficient power section that will reproduce it faithfully, regardless of volume level.

[Editorial Note: my signature pic was taken at a festival where, for portability's sake, I only used one of my two 410 cabs. This led me to run the volume on my 700RB-II higher than normal, and I was rewarded with OODLES of growly GK goodness]

mouthmw likes this.
  15. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Hi Gary,
    I can say definitively it is different.
    Picture the unapologetic grunt that you something like the 1001 can give you with the sophistication of the MB.
    I seriously cannot wait to get my first one.

jwindham, GRoberts and ctmullins like this.
  16. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Thanks Tony. I am kind of excited to check one out. I have fully embraced the GK sound I get from the MBF 800, but add a bit of unapologetic grunt is highly appealing. No tube in the new Legacy series correct? But I am guessing it doesn't need any sort of preamp tubes to achieve a great sound.

TonyP- likes this.
  17. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    You are correct I no tube, not in the line.

18. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Yes truly indeed some of the class D amps don't play nice when they are clipped. I have an explosive playing technique and I usually find this out right off the batt. The Limiter in the GK MB500 Fusion works really nice for me. IMO they should put it always on in every amp.

mouthmw likes this.
  19. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I can see a Fusion+1200 in my future.
    These new amps are so damn sexy it's crazy.
    In no way am I parting with my 1001RB, 700RB, MBF500, and GK Plex just planning on increasing the count when these come out.
    I did have to loose the noisy Mesa Subway DI.

joel406, mouthmw and TonyP- like this.
  20. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    The Ampeg Class Ds shut down for a couple seconds when you clip them as well as Mark Bass and Shuttles. Sucks on a gig. Ask me how I know. :D

mouthmw likes this.