New gk mb112 vs old gk mb112s?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by mikeln, Aug 14, 2011.

1. My trusty gk mb150s died on a combo gig yesterday...
    I'm wondering how the new mb112 compares?
    I use this amp with my upright for small jazz combo and bluegrass gigs.

2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard Commercial User

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works
    Are you are referring to the MB150S vs the new MB112?

3. Yes, you are correct.. mb150s/112. Circa 1994

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Mikeln,
    I owned two different 200MB's, a Series I, and a Series II.
    I wished that I'd kept them. Those were the first GK 112 combos. I had a MBE 150 but I sold it very quickly, because I just didn't like the way it sounded. The new MB200 head sounds more like those earlier amps, so I would assume that the MB112 also does. I played through a MB115 liked the EQ section. Just my opinion.

Ric

5. I just got the MB115 yesterday, and it seems like I can't get a mid-rangy tone at all, like I could with my Acoustic b100.

6. I have owned a GK MB150S for several years and a GK MB112 for the last few months. Overall I prefer the MB150S to the MB112 after using both amps for a while. In real-world situations, I've found I like the sound of the MB150S better (as do the other musicians I play with), and the MB150 is considerably more compact and schlep friendly. Personally I'd get the old MB150S repaired vs. getting a new MB112.

7. Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works
    My 150S sounds clearer and maybe a bit punchier than the MB200/MBX combo. The latter is much warmer to my ears. Is that your take on it Bob?

8. Thanks for the responses. I will probably get this one fixed, or replace it with the same model.

Another Q. I've had off and on problems with the input jack on this amp. Where it would cut out while playing, but jiggling the plugged in jack usually fixed it. I found that cleaning the contacts and re-bending them seemed to help. I suspect this jack is what finally gave way. Anyone else experience this?

9. Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works
    Yes. Cleaning makes mine right again.

10. Despite any shortcomings it may have, the MB150S works in the less-than-ideal situations I often play in. That and being able to walk in with the bass on my shoulder and the MB150 on the other side, is why I like this amp. Also I'm not totally sold on the voicings of the new GK MB-series amps (MB200, MB500, MB112, etc.) Just my opinion of course. :D

11. pjleo

pjleo

May 27, 2003
    del valley
    FYI
    I had a similar problem with shorting out on my mb150s...circa 1989
    as suggested here on talk bass i ran a small patch cable from effects send to effects return...
    it works for me ...some kind of problem in there , i do not recall exactly what it is.
    i have a new gk mb115...I find it is a little to big to be carrying around for upright...It has been fine for electric

12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    @pjleo: I had the same problem on my MB150E ca 1999. The problem is that the contacts inside the effects return jack corrode over time and the connection goes bad.

@mikeln: Input jack problems can sometimes be due to cracking of the solder joint between the jack and the circuit board, or even cracking of the board traces themselves. This can be hard to spot (for guys my age) without a magnifying glass and bright light.

13. Follow up: took the amp to the local authorized GK repair shop. Input jack contacts corroded, input jack solder joints broken, caused one of the Op Amps to fry. Quick cheap fix.

14. ghiadub

ghiadub

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    I have an mb150s and a MB112. I prefer the 112. It has more low end and is louder. I prefer the eq on the MB150.

Glad you were able to fix the MB150, I have a real emotional attachment to mine. So many gigs......

vin*tone likes this.
  15. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    I input jack problems on my old mb150s as well. My cabinet also rattles at high volumes, which I have tried to have repaired several times. I bought both a series 3 mb150s and a mb112 combo, and don't like the sound of either with DB. The new voicing of the amps causes me problems as well... On the other hand, the new mb 112 has been my preferred rig for all my slab gigs lately....

16. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Dylan,
    If you have resources the Headway EDB-1 pre amp will plug right into that little auxiliary input jack with a 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor it's got a incredible 5 Band EQ. Clink has had very good luck with this setup using the MB112.

Headway EDB-1 ACOUSTIC PREAMPLIFIERS for Guitars, violins, bouzoukis, mandolins, etc. Preamp.

It's not cheap however at $300.00

Ric

17. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    Thanks, Vic. I'll watch for one in the classifieds.... The mb112 is so cheap that maybe it is worth it to get into a headway or something similar. I wish they would make the old version of the mb again as it just seems to work. Always has that mid presence that works so well as a monitor in a band.

18. Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works
    Actually, I've been using it into the MB200 head which appears to be very similar to the new combo. My only concern is that the jack seems cheap and may not hold up to repeated use.
    When my SWR Amplite arrives I expect to use it for all DB gigs and hold the GK as a backup.
    FWIW, the Headway is nice on electric bass as well, especially fretless. It's really a great unit.

19. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    I have a new MB112 that I've used with a Realist-equipped Eminence (semi-acoustic, small-bodied double bass).

I just used it the other night, and was pretty happy with the sound for some small group jazz. It is, however, voiced more towards the electric bass thing. For its size it has a fairly big bottom end -- though not so over-the-top tubby as its sibling the MB210.

Imho, it's not an amp that's at its best when pushed to its (considerable) volume limits. I find it starts to sound boxy when cranked. But up to a good solid medium volume it's really quite viable. And especially considering the price: you can hardly go wrong. Even if you don't gig with it it'll come in handy for something.

Note: I was using the Headway EDB-1 as a buffer to deal with the fairly high impedance of the Realist; then into the Active input of the MB112.

Ric mentioned the 5 band EQ on the Headway: It was an attractive feature to me; but it turns out that it's not particularly voiced for bass -- the freq's are a bit high. For DB I like the lowest EQ band for "oomph", and the second one for pitch intelligibility; but the top 3 are, like, 3 different shades of presence, imho.

20. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri

PBass Wil,
    When I used the Headway EDB-1 into the front end of either of my Walter Woods amps it was overpowering, so I ran it through the effects return, bypassing the Woods EQ section. I could see where using it into the GK MB112 pre EQ would just be sending a good pre amp voicing into a preamp voiced for Bass Guitar. Just my opinion though.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021