1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New mxr bass distortion!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Patchbass, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    I needed to ask you... Basically, what is ''clean'' in MXR BD? A kind of clean boost? It sounds different than my other clean boosters (mids emphasize, may be?). It colors my tone in some pleasant way...

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    I haven't traced it. I just trusted their expertise since IIRC that is their clean circuit that they use in almost all of their products.

Driven Crane likes this.
  3. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    Thank you!

rratajski likes this.
  4. Hydron

Hydron

May 11, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    I've had that pedal for a while but did not played a lot with the settings yet. What's your favorites settings. I will go to my rehearsal room tomorrow and I will have time to play with it.
    I've got a p bass with a geezers pickups.

;)

Thanks

gregmon79 likes this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't have a favorite setting. I love them all. But usually I run it as a fuzz, with the silicon diodes, dirt and wet level cranked up to about 2:30, treble almost all the way up, and no dry.

ugly_bassplayer and gregmon79 like this.
  6. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    :thumbsup:

7. Question guys:

Is that absurd to play this pedal with the Dry « off » and only with Wet set to unity volume? Does it lack any low-end that way?
    Some guys here mentionned that the Dry and Wet work weirdly together, like two parallel sounds instead of blending into each other.

So I was thinking, how does the pedal sound with only the Wet signal coming out? Does it make it closer to an actual Rat?

rratajski and gregmon79 like this.
  8. Frodolicious

Frodolicious

May 29, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    Turning the dry signal off, with the LED clipping, was my favorite way of using this pedal. Sounded awesome, and didnt think it lacked lows

Come to think of it, damn, I miss that thing.

rratajski and gregmon79 like this.
  9. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I've been thinking the same exact thing. I ALMOST ord one from Zzounds last night. But decided against it. Maybe I should go for it.

@Ian774 I think I ended up mainly running mine when I had it with either little or no dry on at all and I remember the low end was still pretty sweet. I've never been a fan of traditional clean blends and I think the MXR one in this pedal was a little weird for my tastes. But, the flavor is plain awesome. I may need to snag-a-pedal after further contemplation....

rratajski likes this.
  10. So you’re not a big fan of the Dry on this pedal but absolutely love the Wet sound?

rratajski likes this.
  11. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Haha I forgot about this post. They pretty much took a lot of liberty! And rightly so as it is a collab with a pedal giant. All things considered, it would've been so dope if they let us have one clipping pot to mess with. And used the same opamp. And gave a 3 way toggle for no diodes haha. But hey, it's the MXR bass dist. So I get it. Still way cool.

rratajski likes this.
  12. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    I run it diode on with all knobs around 1 or 2 o'clock..... adjust when needed.

JimmyM, rratajski and gregmon79 like this.
  13. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I'd have to sit down with it again, but I remember not liking the way the clean volume "mixed" with the dirty. It really didn't to my ears. It's like 2 totally different signals. But, I should've given it more live band time. That may or may not be a great thing in a band mix, their clean blend. But even with it off, I felt the low end was really solid with this pedal.

ugly_bassplayer and rratajski like this.
  14. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Ord another one. Couldn't resist. That demo MXR put out when it was released put me over the edge.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  15. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Haha

;)

BrentSimons and gregmon79 like this.
  16. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Well my second just came in. I need to get it in with the band. But so far, I’m as impressed if not moreso than the first time I got it. And the clean blend is more combined with the dirty signal than I originally thought. I dig.

17. Frodolicious

Frodolicious

May 29, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    After trying a big muff, I'm a much bigger fan of rat based pedals for my bass with flats. I'm really considering picking up another lol. This one was great

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I kept my original one so I only had to buy it once :D

19. Frodolicious

Frodolicious

May 29, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    Haha Jimmy, you have less madness than some of us others :rolleyes: I bought my first M85 used, and sold it about what I paid for, so no harm done, and probably NO lesson learned here :thumbsup:

JimmyM likes this.
  20. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I really like this thing. Can’t wait to get it in with the band. Running it through my Damnation bloop too. Def a blast to blast through.

rratajski and Frodolicious like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021