1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New mxr bass distortion!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Patchbass, Jan 22, 2015.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Is it the wet/dry thing or can you deal with a single blend knob? I'm not especially into blends either, although I have learned they're a good thing with certain pedals if you don't want the character of certain pedals to grossly change your EQ but you like them otherwise. But you can turn them off. I've quit using the blend on the Bass D. I don't like how the clean signal gets boosted louder than the dirt signal when you throw a clean boost on it.

2. Hm, well i happen to like the clean and dirty lvl setup in the mxr. It becomes the same thing as i do it with an LS-2. I guess for me, I'm just used to having less bottom and more attack and mids in my sound. I might just be more into a sort of baritone sound with the bass. And there, too much bottom can be a problem(yes I'm looking at you swollen pickle too).

When i tried it out(extensively) i had about 8 other pedals up against it(mxr, dod, tc). I liked the mxr'78 distortion and even the mxr bass od slightly better. Just so you understand what kind of sound i'm into. Ended up with a tc mojo!
    But now i've put back the old RAT on the board again lol

gregmon79 likes this.
  3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Both really. I remember trying that too, not using the clean blend on the MXR and just using the gain volume. I did like it better that way. In the end, I found other dist and OD pedals that suited my needs better. The MXR didn't hold its own at higher volumes. Didnt stay tight enough for me. If that makes sense.

4. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Oh man, the swollen pickle would've been my fav muff style fuzz if that damn bottom could've been dialed out a little. Sucks.

5. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    Finally got my mxr bass dits after trying it when it first came out. It couldn't work any better for me and it tracked really well as well! It is going to be futured on five songs in our second album. Rock.

beer&bass, JimmyM, Unemploid and 3 others like this.
  6. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    It needs time to understand this pedal. But in the end - this pedal rocks!

zapped777, rratajski and MYLOWFREQ like this.
  7. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    Farty tones on the LED setting could be caused by the trimpot being set too low. I wanted to lessen the volume boost so I backed the trimmer way down: fart city. Brought it back up a bit and the fartiness went away.

I'll also second the suggestion to just turn the clean volume knob all the way down if you don't like blends. Sounds killer that way.

gregmon79 and rratajski like this.
  8. tomersg

tomersg

Aug 6, 2007
    Israel
    bought mine some tome ago... sounds very good.. still learning to control it and how to use it and when.. still didnt decided which mode i like more. the led mode is wild. trimed it for less gain but maybe need to trim some more. but generaly happy with it.
    anyway, i also have the mxr m87 compressor which is excelent but when working with the dist on, the low notes on E string get very squashed..other notes on other strings are ok. hapening with several basses. any sugestions more than disengage the comp when engage the dist? the comp settings are preaty gentle.

9. rjovin

rjovin Supporting Member

May 27, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    i had the same problem with my mxr comp until i moved it second in my chain after my tuner. now my fuzz pedals sound awesome.
    i think placement and personal preference play a big part with compressors.

tomersg likes this.
  10. tomersg

tomersg

Aug 6, 2007
    Israel
    yes, i usually put the comp at the end of the chain, always on, just before the preamp vtdi, to even things and eliminate peaks.

11. I got it almost a month ago and all I can say is that it's brutal, in the best possible way. Both modes are awesome, and the range of tones is insane. Also, the dry and wet signals work great together. I've always loved the Rat tones, and this thing really delivers.

image.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    So anyone can fall in love with a pedal over the first month or two and change their mind soon after, and I'm no exception. I bought some pedals last year that I really liked at first but had to drop because they just weren't right for me. The big test is how you feel about it after a year, and this one's been a mainstay on my board since I got it last June. When I got it, I was very unsure what specific role it would play, and it's played a lot of different roles, but now I've settled into using it for the heavier grindy sounds that Rats really excel at. I stick with silicon mode and blend off, and I have been using it for anything from moderately heavy to fuzz, and it rocks. No worries about falling out of the mix due to lack of mids, very edgy, not too bright but not too dark. Had a lot more pedals not pass the one year test than I care to admit, including some pedals I really enjoyed but weren't very useful for my thang. But this one is in no danger of being replaced. Personally, I think it's destined to be one of the classic bass pedals of all time. So happy anniversary to me and my Bass D :D

13. AJBass-85

AJBass-85

Jan 7, 2017
    Italy
    Hi guys! I'm a bass player from Italy. I have bought this wonderful pedal after watching a couple of videos and reading this thread. I replaced my Boss ODB-3 with it, but still I can't seem to make it sound as I'd like to. It sounds too much like a synth, and it seems to 'fart' :) I have adjusted the trim-pot inside with no use. Do you think I might get around with it using my Mooer Bass Eq? Or the Eq on my amp? I am quite new to pedals in general, and I'm eager to learn.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The trim pot only affects its output in LED mode. I do find LED mode a tad synthy but I like it. I don't know, man...maybe a lower drive setting? Maybe more blend with it?

rratajski likes this.
  15. AJBass-85

AJBass-85

Jan 7, 2017
    Italy
    I'll try ;) I've been reading the whole thread and noted down all the settings that you guys have indicated, let's see which one suits me better. I'll let you know!

16. AJBass-85

AJBass-85

Jan 7, 2017
    Italy
    Hey guys! I think I've found a couple of settings that I like. I haven't played for three weeks now because I cut my wrist while washing the dishes. -.- so I've just messed around using one hand. Do you think that using the SIL mode with my compressor on and the eq would be 'too much'? I know that mode is already a bit compressed, but I was wondering if this idea can work.

Attached Files:

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I think you'll find that you may want to turn the wet level up more so it sounds in line with your clean sound in a mix, but it should be fine.

rratajski likes this.
  18. AJBass-85

AJBass-85

Jan 7, 2017
    Italy
    Thanks a lot! :)

19. Seeing as how Mr Fuzzrocious himself helped design the MXR-version of the Rat OD, how similar/dissimilar is it from the Rat/Cat Tail/King?

20. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    MXR added their clean volume circuit.
    The values for clipping pots 1 and 2 are hard set for MXR.
    No "no diodes" setting on MXR.
    Different pot values.
    Different op amp.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021