1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New mxr bass distortion!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Patchbass, Jan 22, 2015.

1. ToS

ToS

Mar 4, 2014
    Europe
    I'm still fighting with settings on mine. It is either too much or inaudible (to my ears).
    It is not helping that I got one with a dud switch (new, from Amazon) that won't turn off on occasion. So, I'm often reluctant on turning it on in the first place.
    Can't even sell it since it's broken (sort-of). Sorry for the rant, just wanted to share my experience.

2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Contact MXR. I'm sure they'll help you out.

Marihino and rratajski like this.
  3. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Touché

JimmyM and Frodolicious like this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well that time anyway...I did sell an Animato clone only to buy another one :D

gregmon79 and ugly_bassplayer like this.
  5. 1590D26A-56F9-401F-8E88-41C0F1797E8D.jpeg

I bought one second hand last week. Tried it out for the first time with the band last night.

Found a good setting, but I feel like there’s way more possibilities! I followed your advice and used no Dry signal, pretty much like a classic Rat. My SansAmp BDDI v2 is my main tone shaper anyways, I usually go straight into the rehearsal room amp’s power amp.
    Finger style (one song) with just the SansAmp, all other songs played with a pick and the MXR on. Sounded quite interesting! I play on a PJ Fender P-bass Special btw.

Quick question: as you can see on the pic, the Wet volume is not very high. It’s basically at unity gain/volume so that when I turn the M85 off, I have the same volume. When I look at some of you guys’s pics of your M85 settings, some of uour volumes are way higher. How do you explain that? Input level? Thx

BrentSimons likes this.
  6. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Really hard to answer that as everything plays a factor. I know I was rippin with it last night and I felt "unity" for my clean was just about 9 o'clock. I would find your unity with the dirty side completely off and then go from there.

On a side note, as I said above, I was rippin through this thing last night with my PJ with the EMG GZR's in it and WOW. Did it sound good. I followed Jimmys advice, I ran the dirty and and clean high past 1 o'clock, tone about 3 to 5 and gain lower though, maybe 11. In Sil mode. Man did it sound so good. I REALLY like this pedal again.

ugly_bassplayer and JimmyM like this.
  7. What I don’t get is that you said that your unity volume is around 9 o’clock. Basically, that means that with the pedal on, your volume is the same as with the pedal off, right?

Then you said that you’ve tried with dry and wet both at 1 o’clock. Should I understand that if you turn off your pedal, your clean volume will drop?

8. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I’m confused. If I turned my pedal off with my dirty and clean at 1 o’clock, I’d lose volume. If I have clean set to 9, it’s roughly unity. If my dirty side is off that is.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I run mine way higher because it works for me.

10. ToS

ToS

Mar 4, 2014
    Europe
    @gregmon Nice convoluted way to say that your pedal was not at unity gain (with pots around 1 o'clock). I like it.

I used to run mine similarly, but I am still varying settings like this:
    gain 7-8,
    wet 8-9,
    tone 1,
    dry 9-12 (o'clock).

11. droneboy

droneboy

Mar 28, 2009
    how do i make it sound like the right one (83 they say)???

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  12. Late to the party, but I have one of these on the way. I currently run a Pork Loin for overdrive, but I've been wanting to add something that covers distorsion / semi fuzz to my pedalboard for a while. It looks like it can cover a lot of ground...even low gain OD, uh? I'm somewhat skeptical I'll prefer the M85 as an OD over my Pork Loin, but I'm curious to hear it for myself (even though OD is not the reason I'm getting it).

ToS, rratajski and JimmyM like this.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I ended up preferring a more mid-mellow pedal for OD. Love it for near fuzz and fuzz, though. Ain't no fuzz getting eaten up in the mix with it!

rratajski and Frank77 like this.
  14. Frodolicious

Frodolicious

May 29, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I really enjoyed the break up on it with the low gain settings in LED mode. I miss this pedal.

Frank77 and rratajski like this.
  15. Which one, if you don't mind me asking?

It seems like a "polarizing" pedal (especially when it comes to the dry blend), but demos sounded good enough for me to want to check it out (especially Zach Ryzer's and "ProGuitarShopDemos" on YouTube). Like I said I REALLY like the Pork Loin for low-to-moderate gain OD and going to try the M85 mostly for nastier dirt, but I'm willing to be surprised. One thing I sure don't like about the Pork Loin is the humongous footprint and how it complicates my pedalboard since it needs 18V to be happy (it's all good, mine's modified). I know the new-ish Pork & Pickle is smaller, but I'd also have to mod it and I don't know if I could easily find the parts I need to swap on the new layout.

So the Pork Loin is most likely here to stay UNLESS the M85 really blows my mind in that low gain niche. It's still probably a couple of weeks out before I get to try it though, with Canada Post being delayed due to the pandemic and dramatic increase in volume.

JimmyM likes this.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Don't mind at all, Frank. But you'd have to ask "which ones?" Got two that I vacillate between...my Ampeg Scrambler and my JohnK Greedtone OD clone that was modded for bass. However, since it's so convenient to have for a single pedal with good clean, OD, fuzz, cab sim, and backup DI, lately I've just been using my Tech 21 VT Deluxe.

Frank77 likes this.
  17. droneboy

droneboy

Mar 28, 2009
    got mine in the loop of a "ff-audiotechnik - royale ts" (ts 50 b inspired preamp) and it realy shines here, glad i tried this!
    board 2-21 abrichten.jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 10:21 AM
    gregmon79, JimmyM, rratajski and 2 others like this.
  18. Peaveylover

Peaveylover Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2019
    How does one go about actually purchasing one of those ts50 pedals?

droneboy likes this.
  19. droneboy

droneboy

Mar 28, 2009
    at the moment it's a small business and their first limited run of 50 pieces but they are going to built more and are planing to sell it. there is a fuzz called woody with a lot of additional features, too. they built here in germany but i guess, they are going to sell internationaly soon.

the rts has a fx-loop, a built in high pass filter, a di with speakersim, a boost contoll and a lot more kool stuff in it.

if you are on facebook, check them out:Log into Facebook

soundcloud: FF Audiotechnik

a website is comming soon: https://ff-audiotechnik.de/

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 11:16 AM
    Peaveylover likes this.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Makes me a tad bummed that I sold mine off in my Covid sale, but now that I'm finally getting unburied from all the financial muck, I think I'm going to have to pick up another one soon. Nothing quite like it. Now all I need is a reason to use fuzz again :D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021