Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nice four-stringer for 2K or less?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Just wanted to know what your recommendations are, and either new or used is OK. I'd like something under 9 lbs, and somewhat tighter-than-Fender string spacing is OK too. There are a lot of things on my list to try before I make my mind up:

-Rickenbacker 4003 (I've played 4001's but not a 4003)
    -Used Alembic Essence or something (not so sure about weight)
    -Used Mike Lull (I like Jazz Basses)
    -Reissue Fender
    -Lakland Skyline Darryl Jones
    -Gibson SG Reissue
    -Rickenbacker 4004 (never played one)
    -Used Spector

I'd consider just about anything, doesn't have to be terribly expensive, just punchy and comfortable. The Schecter Exotic Zebrawood bass is pretty cool (or looks cool, anyway) and it's about $800. Likewise, USA Fenders (I've had a few) are in the running as well.

And tell me why you like what you're recommending.

Thanks.

2. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

Sadowsky Metro - no brainer

3. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    ZON ZON ZON!!! :hyper: :bassist:

4. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    If you like Jazz basses the Lull, Sadowsky, Fender Custom Shop would be my suggestions.

5. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Vigier Excess 2. Handmade European craftsmanship, light weight (6.5 lbs), no cheap veneers, SUPER low action and
    fast playability, excellent growl, impeccable fretwork & detail,
    HUGE tone. Puts (ahem, er) Sadowsky in the cheap seats..

Slug

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am a big fan of MusicMan basses. Music Man now has two pickup versions of the Stingray and Sterling which should be nice. The Sterling would be good for a Jazz bass lover. The main downside of MM basses is that they tend not to be light basses.

7. There are basically unlimited options here. It all depends on what you want, tone wise. If you like fretless, go ZON. If you like all out balls, go MM Bongo. If you like a lot of flexibility, Sadowsky is a good choice.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The Sadowsky Metros are definitely very nice basses for the money, as are the Lakland Skylines. But, if I didn't have the luxury of owning a bunch of instruments, and I wanted one do it all axe, with tons of clarity and a huge tonal range, I'd be talking to Pete Skjold about a Stage or Pro series bass. These are definitely attainable in the sub $2k range (the Stage for sure), and they are an exceptional handmade bass at a mass production price.

Tom.

9. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    For that kind of money, you could also consider a used Lakland USA Joe Osborne. I've got one and it's the nicest bass I've ever had. I've also played one of Mike Lull's Jazzes and it was a very nice bass.

10. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Wishbass...

5 of them...

11. Might also want to consider Dingwall Afterburner basses (either a AB I or II). Well w/in your price range and under your weigh requirement (www.Dingwallguitars.com).
    36.5" E string and the novax board add up to some amazing tone, punch, and playabvility. The ABII have onboard active electronics (aggie OB1), but honestly the FD p'ups are so good in passive mode you'll almost never need active. You can get almost every tone; modern and not so modern out of these basses

12. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    What he said :)

13. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    What he said too lol

14. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    +1
    Exactly what came to my mind when I saw the thread subject.

15. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    You could probably get yourself one of the cheaper Jerzy Drozd models for that: http://www.luthiersaccessgroup.com/drozd2.html , Jerzy Drozd Basic would do nicely in the budget. Dunno about weight but they're hardly giant slabs of wood so I can't imagain them being too heavy, Jerzy is very into ergonomics so I can't imagain them being that heavy. His site is being updated atm so check back in a few days, http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/basic.htm is the details on the basic for ya, remember it's very cusomisable, he can do just about anything. Supposedly they're awesome to play and very tonally flexible so go give one a try if you can :p.

16. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Valenti? I've heard good things - and you can get some custom options and keep the ticket under $2K. :)

17. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    AJ*, I had not realized that Jerzy Drozd had basses in that price range. Dang. The Excellency is pretty close, as well. Maybe close enough. :eek:

18. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I say go for a Carvin LB70.

The configuration options are almost endless and they look, feel and play great IMO. Will cost you well under 2K for a very high quality instrument.

19. I second his second. :smug:

20. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I fell outta my chair and hit my head on the floor. I hope you're friggin happy!!!!!! :D