No Stupid Questions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SgtHulka, Feb 7, 2020.

1. SgtHulka

SgtHulka Suspended Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Fort Arnold
    The spirit of this thread is to answer any question someone brings here as seriously as possible. I know there's going to be jokesters, but no question here is too dumb and we aim to find the truth behind every question no matter how stupid you may think it is. This Thread was inspired by the following question:

If kinetic energy is converted into thermal energy, how many times would I need to slap a chicken to cook it?

Where are the physicists in the house??

If you have your own stupid question, please ask.

J_Bass, MattZilla, MYLOWFREQ and 3 others like this.
  2. I dunno, is it faster to Chicago or by train.

3. HUH?

4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I don't mind the dumb question, but I do mind when the answer is given & the asker basically calls the person who answered a liar.

LBS-bass and the harp unstrung like this.
  5. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Why do I need to drink so much alcohol to be happy???

6. It's the cause of,and answer to, all life's problems. - Homer

7. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    There is significant data that indicates that 'Facts' are less important the 'Emotional Resonance' for many people in the Western 'Democracies'.

8. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    Why is Alcohol ( and by extension Tobacco) treated differently to other addictive carcinogens?

9. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    Apparently 23,034 slaps will do your average chicken. Don't ask me why someone had worked this out already but you know, physicists aren't bass players, they have time on their hands.

MattZilla, Lizooki, PWRL and 3 others like this.
  10. OK, here's my stupid question:

Were the USA and USSR really on the brink of nuclear war during the Cuban missile crisis?

Everyone says that they were, but whenever I try to think it through, I just can't get there. Suppose Kennedy doesn't withdraw the naval blockade. A Soviet ship charges straight into it. Two ships collide. One of the captains loses their cool and starts shooting. There's a naval battle and some ships are sunk. I still don't see either Kennedy or Krushchev deciding to escalate to launching nukes. Am I wrong?

fhm555 and J_Bass like this.
  11. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Did ya drive or did ya flew?

corndog likes this.
  12. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Impossible to cook that way. Humans don't have the speed or energy to generate enough heat.
    At least, not one person trying to do it alone.

13. Yes. It was only after did Kennedy/Krushchev work to keep us from getting to that point again.

Growing up in that time we had regular air raid/nuclear blast drills, a lot of us had bomb shelters in our houses.

Back then the Cold War was actually fairly warm. We were constantly testing each other at that time and a war could hav broke fairly easy had it not been for rational minds at the helm.

Atshen likes this.
  14. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

what is the difference between a duck? asking for a friend.

DrMole, Atshen and kesslari like this.
  15. What would have been the outcome if Dorothy had not followed the Yellow Brick Road?

16. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    :thumbsup:

17. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    Mrs. Winslow, who happens to be a genuine Person of Science, says the answer depends on whether you want the chicken fried or baked. :roflmao:

I'm also thinking that to build up sustainable heat, the slaps would need to be applied much faster and harder than one human would be able to achieve. :bookworm:

:wacky:

blastoff99 likes this.
  18. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    OK.......let's try again.

"Why does #2 (the naughty word) roll down hill?"

and

"Why does what comes around goes around?"

19. She would have just stayed there and gotten fat being a Lollipop Tester.
    Living happily ever after.

fhm555 and shadowtippy like this.
  20. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Where do photons go? (I was an art major, sorry if this is an easy one for other people.)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021