1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Noble tube preamp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bassmanbrent, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  2. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    Dave reimer has one..

reimerbass likes this.
  3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    For that money you can get a 2 Channel Felix. A Headway EDB-2 for much less. :)

jleguy likes this.
  4. Oh, I know :) This is a different animal altogether. Just wondering if it has any DB applications...

Ric Vice likes this.
  5. I know! Dave has the best stuff. I might just have to see if he'll let me check it out for a couple days...

6. Jim Dombrowski

Jim Dombrowski Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I believe “Vanselus” has one also

7. ericsmith

ericsmith

Dec 22, 2008
    I haven't yet got to try mine in real life but it seems like a good solution to maybe save a lousy amp or if the DI to FOH is the only option, it should make for a very good direct sound.
    And the low cut might come in handy sometimes.

8. jkumnick

jkumnick Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Southern Maine
    I have a Noble and it is an excellent preamp/DI. I play bass guitar and an NS Design EUB so I can’t say how it works for doublebass but it is a very musical and simple box that sounds good in every situation I use it for. Live and recording. The tubes make it sound full and present and the tone controls are simple and effective.

bass08053 and nbsipics like this.
  9. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    I have been using a Grace Felix with an Ischell and Yamahiko blended, then I send it to a Demeter Tube Direct (similar to Noble) before the amp. Sounds utterly stellar.

bassmanbrent likes this.
  10. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    You know, I'll have to try this with my newly refurbished B-15N(C). Ampegs have a Amp In on the rear panel. It was originally designed to allow the bassist the option to use two B-15's and have one "slave of the other" so it will work that

way. There's nothing quite like a Double Baffle Reflex cabinet with a JBL-D130 being driven by an all tube amplifier. The only drawback will be that, I believe the Amp in bypasses the three 6SL7's in the preamp, so some of it's warmth

will be lost. Not giving up my MAS 1/8 mind you it's the bees knees, and weighs 1/4 what the B-15 does. I'm just curious how it will sound.

11. I can not see why you would want to bypass a valve preamp with a valve premp. But ofcourse, there might be a difference in sound.

12. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Good point, but the B-15N isn't really set up to use the Remic Green or any other type of condenser mic, without an additional box for Phantom Power, so you can only use a pickup, like the Ehrlund EAP and

it's Ehrlund Preamp. I've definitely used the B-15N as a complete system, and it sounds fantastic! It is very heavy and bulky compared to the MAS 1/8 and isn't all that loud at 25 Watts RMS.

13. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    I heard a bluegrass cat friend of mine the other day and he had a Grace going into one of those new Ampeg 50 watt tube heads with a 12 (looks like a mini fliptop B15) and it sounded stellar.

14. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Well, one thing for sure, the front end of older tube amplifiers like my B-15N, are pretty noisy compared to the newer preamps. It's just something we used to live with when I used the B-15N a lot. I never really gigged Double Bass much with the B-15

because my pickup choices were so bad in the mid to late 70's that I played most gigs with the Fender. I had a Barcus Berry Bar and Polytone for a short while and you really couldn't use them in the pop band's I played in so by the time I had a useable

pickup in the Underwood I had already gotten a Walter Woods MI-100-8 and was using it. So experimenting with it will be fun.

The new Ampeg PF 50T's are way more sophisticated electronically, with effects loops, better shielding and DI's.

15. Ok sorry, I thought you meant the Noble (which also hasn't got phantom power).

16. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    I bet it did! Imagine that amp on top of a MAS speaker. Lordy, that’s a rabbit hole I’d love to go down. Not today though.

Ric Vice likes this.
  17. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Yep, the PF-50T is a sort of a re imageining of the power in a B-18N head with the SVT preamp. But smaller and more compact. The weight is still heavier than the new Ampeg PF series heads. It weighs 19.4 lbs.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  18. vanselus

vanselus Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    That I do! It’s a pretty amazing little box for both electric and upright. Honestly I typically just bring the EA Doubler II and the NL-112 to most gigs because I don’t want to carry another box and that combination sounds great. However, the Noble into the return sounds even better, especially for electric. Tightens everything up, adds some musical sheen, and I love the voicing of the tone controls for both purposes. I still LOVE the REDDI though, which is a completely different animal - so thick and rich in the low mids a’la B15-land. They are quite different takes on tubey goodness.

I second the sentiment on the Noble on top of a MAS-18. I’ve been trying (not very hard) to get ahold of Mike to discuss that. Sounds delicious.

I did record some Noble tracks for basstasters I just need to find time to put them up...

bassmanbrent, Ric Vice and nbsipics like this.
  19. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Mike’s powered cabinets have worked with any pre amp I own Grace, Hedway, and 3Leaf Audio

20. bigshiny

bigshiny Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2010
    St Louis MO
    I tried my Genz Benz Streamliner into a MAS 66 Friday night. I was using my aluminum pfretzschner into my broughton 2 channel pre. When I switched over to the Tecamp Puma 900 I really felt like there was something missing. And mind you, I know that Puma. It’s been my go to head for 2-3
    Years now. I think I’m going to start using the Genz more. I know we are doing an apples to oranges comparison here using my aluminum. Now I’m interested in using the Genz with my ‘37 Kay.