Not happy at all with this "new" forum layout !!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Forum Usage Help' started by Davyo, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Ok,,, I been playing with this new layout of TB and I am lost,,, I'm so lost I was not even sure were to post this complaint (please move to the correct category)

The search function for the forum category's ,,,,, where is it ????,,, is it the general search tab at the top of the page ???

I ran some searches from the top of the page but still not sure if I'm getting search results from the entire forum or the sub category (example: if I'm in the Amps section how do I search the Amps section only ?)

When search results come up where is the thread counts that show how many times the thread you searched has been been viewed ????

The original TB forum was so easy to navigate and view all the information on threads and everything else,,, this sure ain't the case now !!!

If it ain't broke don't fix it,,,,, nothing in the original layout was broken, it was clean, simple, and very easy to navigate,,,,,,,, now it is not !!!

Very bummed to see TB change a great forum layout that had a great UI into this new over complicated UI !!!

Please place this in the correct sub forum ,,, where ever that is :(

Davyo

2. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
  3. Davyo

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Yea,, I did read it and it still was not clear.

So how do you view thread counts (times a thread has been viewed) when search results come up ???

Any search I have done just takes me to the thread itself and does show how many views or how many replies ???

Davyo

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    using 'search threads and posts', and clicking the 'show results as threads' box just above 'search' gives you list of threads with number of replies.
    I don't know about the number of views, would need to research that.

As to the 'if it aint broke' comment, the FAQ addresses why we had to upgrade.

Nino Valenti likes this.
  5. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    IMHO this new layout is OK and slicker. It's normal to let sometime to get used to to something new. Only I hope TB don't change the layout too often.
    A bit critic from me about the layout is maybe the color contrast of some things can be emphasized...(sorry, it's already a very good result of hardwork surely, I Know)...

6. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    When I first saw the changes this morning, I immediately told myself not to respond in haste. Give it some time, calm down, see what you think a bit down the road. Change is inevitable, and many internet and computer users don't like changes of any kind, etc.

I especially felt that way after getting a sense of how much work has gone into the site overhaul. I know what it's like to pour all your energy into something you sincerely believe is for the best and then find that people are highly upset and dissatisfied with what you've done. It is very discouraging. I wanted those who have worked so hard on the changes to at least get some sleep before getting hit with reactions of dissatisfaction.

Nevertheless, despite all that, I guess there's no point in forestalling the inevitable. I deeply regret the changes that have been made to TB. I agree with Davyo's comments. I, too, was extremely comfortable with the old site design and am completely uncomfortable with the new design. This situation reminds me a bit of what happened at Harmony Central a few years back, when they tinkered with what had been a perfectly usable site.

Any part of the new site design that pertains to increasing monetization is completely acceptable to me. The owners and admins of this site deserve the opportunity to generate more revenue if that is a goal. But overall, I am struggling mightily with the design changes. It goes beyond functionality. It has to do with the core intangibles that go into creating a great online community such as TB.

In a nutshell, the old TB was more than just another site to me. It was a comfortable online home that I greatly enjoyed visiting. I think the now-departed look, feel, and user-friendliness of the site played a key role in how terrific a community took root and grew at TB. Now, the locks have been changed and the home has been leased to a new tenant. That's what it feels like. There is nothing about the new site design that feels like home. I guess the good old days ended yesterday and are gone. It was a great run while it lasted.

7. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    ^ a very good summary. Definitely wouldn't want to be seeming "screaming" at the admins after all the hard work. But I just don't feel comfortable using the forums anymore.

8. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Have you tried the "Retro" style? Style picker at the bottom left of footer.

This update has nothing to do with monetization. There are fewer ads, no left column when you're reading threads, and you can have 0 ads with a gold supporting membership. This update is about us not getting exploited and hacked to pieces. See the FAQ item "If it ain't broke".

9. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars

Thanks,

Retro style definitely works much better for me.

BluesBear likes this.
  10. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    This new design is more inline with other forums i frequent. Trust me, all the new features wll grow on you. You all are fans of a grossly outdated forum design.

paul likes this.
  11. Lebowsky

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    It's not the new looks and features that bug me, but how huge eveything now is and how I constantly need to scroll on an already big monitor (even with the Retro style) :)

12. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Not a fan of the "ad words", popup ads that get in the way every time my mouse passes over an innocent phrase like "direct box".

Also I must admit the Price Grabber ad on page 1 tricked me into trying to login to their site, thinking I was logging into the new Talkbass.
    Now they have my email address and I can look forward to spam from them.

Extra gadgets and unneeded/unwanted "features" are cluttering the interface, to me it's just more stuff I have to work around.

I wish I could switch back to the old Talkbass.

Tempted to say more.

BluesBear and BryanSwift like this.
  13. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Fixed. (gone for all but search engine traffic).

14. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    I wonder if maybe things just look bigger because they're not constrained by blue boxes. Looking side-by-side with the old site, there's like half an inch or maybe a quarter of an inch of more scroll per page for me...

You're clicking that big orange box closed up top, aren't you? :)

15. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    Lots of hard work, its not the admin fault but i can say as a designer that the graphic layout of the old site was much nicer, more texture and various other intuitive features. Maybe they will lose the bright white background, which is a bit annoying....my $.02

Mr. Majestic likes this.
  16. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Thank you!!

BluesBear likes this.
  17. Lebowsky

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    I think - feel like - a small message, with 1 line for example is much higher than before. Theres a lot of space between the body and the quote, due to the left part with the user info (I'm on the Retro style). Yes, I clicked the orange announcement ;)

18. Davyo

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Well, this ain't my first rodeo,,, ever since day one I was a member of the AVSforums,,, they "had" a great UI and then about 2 years ago they made the big forum change (also designed by Bulletin) and the AVSforum was never the same again and never regained that same user friendliness.

I tried for a very long time to like and embrace the changes AVSforum's made a few years ago but it never happened and nowadays I rarely go on AVS,,,, now to see TB make the same changes AVS did is really a bummer.

:(
    Davyo

60bass likes this.
  19. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Maybe this change is a good thing. It might mean that I spend less time on here and more time being productive. :p Also, the old smiley icons were a lot more charming!

jim nolte likes this.
  20. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada/Motown
    Greetings from the North,

Uhmmmm.... Where exactly is the 'Retro Style' function? I know that you mentioned about the footer but not being the most computer savy exactly where and how do I get to that? Thanks for being patient.

Rezdog

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021