Not happy at all with this "new" forum layout !!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Forum Usage Help' started by Davyo, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    For now at least, I'm certainly more comfortable with the retro style.
    I didn't know how to engage, that, so, thanks.
    That Function doesn't' "reveal" til you hover over that; might want to make that more obvious for dolts like me ;)

petch likes this.
  2. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    I like 'TalkBass Retro' ... pity that it's so hard to spot ... 'Talkbass 2014' looks like a copyright notice, nothing more.

Like the first poster, I am feeling a little grumpy at the moment, but that's just to do with having to work hard to find stuff that's different ... it goes with any forum change (I've seen a few) and I hope the mods can take it in their stride because I'm guessing a lot of work was involved.

So, I know (or I'm fairly sure) my grumpyness will pass ... apologies to the mods, sysadmins, penguins or whatever who worked on this ... your work is appreciated.

And to anyone who thinks this forum change is hard ... thank your lucky stars this isn't harmony central. Their forum upgrade a year ago was the cluster**** to end all cluster****s and a mass exodus ensued (I've seen the stats on Alexa). I'm pretty confident that for all the change and all the complaints, that won't happen here.

3. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    I can't get the mobile app to work on my Iphone5s. I am using tapatalk to get this far.

4. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    See note at the top of the page which says:

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'm not a fan of the new TB at all so far.

Hopefully this doesn't go the way of Harmony Central. They made an awful forum change and basically every member left or just thinks it's a joke now. I used to post there all the time but haven't been there since the change took place.

petch and Toolmybass like this.
  6. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I think part of what people are seeing is that the formatting isn't working properly on their desktop internet browsers. On my desktop the TB site looks like a poorly formatted Word document, but on my smartphone it looks like a regular website. Something is happening that is making the CSS or something similar not work properly on all browsers, or requires a specific configuration.

Crusher47 likes this.
  7. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    fwiw;
    you can get to "the old look" by hovering over "Talkbass 2014" in the blue bar at the bottom of every page, and then selecting Talkbass Retro

this may be helpful

petch likes this.
  8. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
  9. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    I just checked the site in all the browsers I could find on my mac ... Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera ... and it looks fine from here. If you want to help out the developers you may need to be very specific about what you're using (Win/Mac/Linux .., IE/Chrome/Firefox ... including versions) so they can address any issues.

10. bobicidal

bobicidal

Mar 28, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Very nice! I am going to try to stay on the new one for a bit. Is this setting tied to my profile or cookies?

11. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    As long as you keep the :atoz: smiley I'm OK. I really like how it hides the bulk of long quotes.

It takes a while to learn where stuff is, but hopefully people visit this site for the content provided by fellow deep-enders. Thus, a little searching will yield great results in the end.

But the "Retro" style is a must. Otherwise I need to think to see where one post ends and the next begins. Why wasn't that the default from the start?

12. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    A quick experiment with incognito mode (or whatever it's called in your browser) will tell you that it's cookies.

13. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    @bassgod0dmw

OMG! Harmony Central was my fav until the make-over. i never go there these days. :(

14. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    In this case I don't think its specific to the brower technology. Right now I'm using TB on a laptop with an aircard and it looks fine. Something in the architecture of the web application its self is triggering this behavior. Either the application is making a call to another server/service that isn't trusted as part of the session so the formatting isn't being applied, or they are using a plug-in/runtime that is disabled for secured browsing. Its hard to test this sort of thing in a lab because it requires settings they can't even guess at, but that's why I'm letting them know that some people's settings or proxy configurations don't like a fundamental part of their application. Judging by the number of responses, this isn't uncommon.
    Over all though, now that I see the site as it was intended, it isn't half bad. They just need to get this worked out.

15. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    Where can I find my subscribed threads?
    Edit: Nevermind, I think I found them under "Watched Threads"

16. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I must admit, my heart sank a bit after the first half hour of trying to make sense of it all, but after discovering the 'Retro' format, and spending a little time making a post, bumping a thread, and finding out how to see feedback for sellers, I am a LOT more optomistic ... I am far from computer geek, and this is pretty much the only 'Forum' type deal that I really have ever frequented seriously, so a bit of optomism and a little patience should make this whole transition at least tolerable for most (for now), although I do miss the simplicity of the other one, or was it just that my simple mind was used to it ? ;)

17. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    I can't find where to sign in?

18. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    upper right corner in firefox anyway

19. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination

Dec 30, 2006
    Tulsa
    i have messed around with this most of the day and feel I am grasping it just fine. When it comes to the digital realm one must accept that change is always going to be necessary. I am actually kinda digging the new layout - and a big thanks to the hard work putting it together so we can have our little world together. There is only one TalkBass and nothing else compares!!

20. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods!

I tried to change to the "Retro", but this website just looks virtually like unformatted HTML. I believe that the browser here at work is behind the times and this TB site no longer a usable resource. Damn.....what to do. If this doesn't get back to a reworked, usable format, I have never seen such a successful forum implode like this, I need to go elsewhere. This is an absolute terrible waste of communication and resouce. DO SOMETHING QUICK!

BryanSwift likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021