Not happy at all with this "new" forum layout !!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Forum Usage Help' started by Davyo, Apr 16, 2014.

1. letsrumble

letsrumble

May 23, 2010
    Two thumbs down! :rollno: :spit: Harmony Central is what immediately came my mind, as well. Let me know where the new default forum is when this one crashes and burns.

2. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    It would be helpful if you guys who are experiencing formatting problems would include what browser and platform you're using

thanks

3. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    I did already suggest that ...

... and the reply I got was ....

... Perhaps screenshots AND browser and platform versions might help.

4. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Saw that. I'm very much not a "gearhead" capable of spinning tech wrenches here.

5. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Don't close the orange notice box at the top of the thread unless you never want to see the content again. I haven't found a way to get it to re-display once it's closed. Luckily I had a duplicate of this thread open in another tab and went to that copy to revisit the notice box.

The notice box content is useful to keep displayed because if you can figure out how to navigate to the libraries and find the FAQ's on your own, you are way better at finding your way around the site than I am. Unless you like having to resort to site searches to try to locate content that you know is out there on the site somewhere and sifting through reams of search results to maybe hit paydirt.

At the moment, I'm testing all content that seems important like the FAQ link for navigability. If I can't navigate to it readily on my own, I bookmark it ASAP. As bad as struggling with sudden, unexpected site design changes is, having the process of adapting to those changes turn into a time consuming sinkhole is far more frustrating.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  6. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

I am SO confused. I LOVED the old style. I knew it well. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and it wasn't broken...

7. I have to say how sad I am at some of the changes. I appreciate all the work that goes into it but it really displays poorly on my browser (Firefox). The white is glaring and unfriendly, the yellow buttons are garish. The 'retro' style does help once you find it.

However I've just been to the classified forums and see that they're now 'single post.' This is crazy: the style of the old classifieds was excellent in that potential buyers could ask a 'public' question or discuss the item for sale. I truly don't understand the need or point for this change.

BryanSwift likes this.
  8. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

"You have insufficient privileges to reply here" This is the message I get when wanting to reply to a classified ad. WHY ??? I HATE the new TalkBass. It SUCKS !

PaulMacCnj likes this.
  9. I don't know. I think a lot of you guys are prematurely overreacting just a tad. I admit, I was a little mortified when I navigated here earlier. But after spending just a few minutes with the new layout it's becoming much more comfortable. I do agree that TalkBass Retro needs to be the default, the "2014" is terribly confusing GUI-wise. I understand (and kind of like) that the new layout works by taking you automatically to the first unread post in a thread, but where's the option to have posts sorted newest first? I have never liked oldest first in forums and IMHO it needs to be at least an option. I don't really have any major complaints about the new layout however. It's inevitable, old software dies and new ones supplant it. Why do you think Microsoft stopped supporting XP? When I heard that they finally did it, my only thought was "this didn't happen earlier? What?"

Also, thanks infinitely for allowing everyone an avatar. It is much appreciated.

10. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    I honestly think that there are orders of magnitude difference between the HC change and this one.

Actually ... I've just been back to harmony central ... looks like they changed platforms twice ... once in Feb '13 (to 'BrandNation' or somesuch ) and again more recently to vBulletin 5.0. It was the Feb '13 one I was referring to. EDIT: And it looks like the newest migration is even worse than the one before. No forum or thread search, apart from that they offer site search via google ... and the search results all send you to the forum home page.

I will now shut up about HC ... except to say that nothing else could be that bad.

11. I get why they had to upgrade but couldnt it just have been made as close to the original as possible, why all the added stuff? I had to unclick alerts and there are like 20 of the things, trophys? I am pretty tech savvy and man this new stuff is just a wreck, I miss you old TB.

Those of you who like it must not use the classifieds much, what a mess. Say you have 3 things for sale, a bass, a bass neck in the accessories forum and a amp. You can only bump 1 of these items every 24 hours, instead of bumping all of them, I dont know if its suppose to be like that or if its just messed up. The classifieds are moving super slow its crazy I have never seen adds posted so little, I bumped something hours ago and its still mid page on the first page. You also cant reply to each other in the hot deals section. So many times someone posted a deal and then someone else found a coupon for $100 off that well guess what? they cant reply to that thread anymore.

Also this site gets a lot of revenue from people who pay just for the privilege to use the classifieds, sorry but I wouldn't be a supporting member if the classifieds suck and well they now do. Many people are in the same boat, I have told many people to pay the $20 for membership as its worth it just to sell stuff on here but I cant say that anymore. Unless the classifieds are fixed I am not renewing and selling on eBay like thee olden days.

Also there is no $20 a year renewal its $60 or instead you have to pay $2 every single month, I get it if they wanna charge more but make it $25 then and just let me pay by year making me pay monthly makes it seem like they new many people wouldn't want to stick around .

12. Is there anyway they can turn it back to normal and work out the bugs then retry this? or do the bugs just have to be worked out ongoing?

13. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Feb 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yup. It's Harmony Central all over again.

14. CLJMB

CLJMB Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2005
    North Alabama
    Loved the old format. I'm usually good with change and I have given it some time, switched to retro etc. Don't like it at all, particularly the manner in which the for sale posts show up. Ugh.

15. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    I really don't get it. Do the old colours and the exact locations of the old functionality mean that much ? You can't spend a little time figure out where stuff has moved to and adapt ? Go to the bottom left of the page and if it says 'Talkbass 2014" click on it and change it to "Talkbass Retro". Does that help ?

16. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    There's a video in the FAQ that helped me understand how to use it like I used to. It's going to be okay, but I would really like a blue option again - all this white is too bright for my eyes!

jim nolte likes this.
  17. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Go to the bottom left of the page and if it says 'Talkbass 2014" click on it and change it to "Talkbass Retro". Does that help ?

18. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Nope. Some of the colors changed, but I used to use the blue option before where most of the screen was blue and the letters were white. I want that option back. All this white causes eye strain!

jim nolte likes this.
  19. bassarama

bassarama

Sep 14, 2006
    Toronto
    Yeah I am super perplexed too.
    I know new things take some getting used to,

1. I can't send a PM to an avatar. Completely lost.
    2. tried to respond to a WTB ad as I have the exact bass a TBer is looking for, and the page says I do not have sufficient privileges to respond to the Wanted To Buy Ad.
    3. It would have been useful to give a heads up by TB that a major change and learning curve was on the way, perhaps ??
    4. I can't even search the Classified Page and locate a certain bass brand or MY OWN former ad. LOST LOST.
    5. When I Google a bass in general and a TalkBass reference comes up--that page now comes up blank on the internet. So that connection to what you find on the internet Google Search now DOES NOT HAVE A CORRESPONDING TalkBass page.
    6. The photos accompanying the For sale Basses are very fuzzy and shape distorted. I prefer the old way BY FAQR or if that is the new approach try and make the pictures CLEAR and ACCURATE a la EBay.

I am curious as to how many TBers actually like this new format overall.

I am trying to be constructive here, but I really am not having fun with this new format at all.
    Hope improvements are soon on the way OR maybe back to TB version .01 ?????

My 2 cents anyways.

20. CLJMB

CLJMB Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2005
    North Alabama
    "The worst part is the change to the classifieds. No one can reply to a post…at all. It totally kills the flow and the sense of openness that has made using the TB classifieds a joy. I hope the mods reconsider the decision to have it so stiff and locked-down"

I couldn't agree more. I have spent many hours in the classified section in the past. Don't think that will continue with the new format.

BluesBear likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021