Not happy at all with this "new" forum layout !!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Forum Usage Help' started by Davyo, Apr 16, 2014.

1. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Completely perplexed by the negativity in this thread.

Count me as grateful to be here.

Passinwind, Febs and BigBeatNut like this.
  2. wow, didn't realize I was capable of this level of disappointment.

3. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    So we can't search the thread or category we are in anymore?
    Just one giant clumsy search page, taking us away from where we were?

So far this is how I'm feeling.

Sweet Brown said it best, "Ain't nobody got time for that!"

* I do like being able to set the view to thread start time seemingly permanently! Finally!
    ** Actually nope it resets everytime you go to a thread you've set it to start time...Poop!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  4. xaxxat

xaxxat

Oct 31, 2008
    I'm going snowblind trying to read these pgaes.

Maybe I need to put on some sunglasses...

jim nolte likes this.
  5. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    click on the lower left corner bottom page...select talkbass retro.

drumsnbass likes this.
  6. xaxxat

xaxxat

Oct 31, 2008
    Doesn't help.

7. triviani

triviani

Oct 23, 2010
    There is something wrong when a forum has a default all-white background. It is annoying for the eyes and invites you to leave, and it's surprising that the designers don't notice that!

Retro style looks somehow odd, not really pleasant to navigate. I wonder if it's that much trouble to copy the old style.

And yes, people usually don't like changes, specially on things you like and use everyday. Old talkbass was an internet classic, it had the mojo vintage basses have, now it looks like generic electric appliances forum.

I guess we will get used to it.

BluesBear and jim nolte like this.
  8. triviani

triviani

Oct 23, 2010
    Avatars eat too much space on the phone screen, specially on retro mode. And the up/down directional arrows are annoying and not useful.

9. I have been harsh on it but its really just the classifieds that are bonkers, the rest isnt bad. I dont like all the new alert crap but I turn it off. The classifieds though really need to be 100% like they were, the current stuff reminds me of goodwills online auction page and thats not a compliment.

10. CLJMB

CLJMB Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2005
    North Alabama
    Agree. I don't like it but I think I will learn to live with everything but the classifieds. They no longer serve the same function as they did before.

11. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

I regret renewing my $40 membership last month had I known the format would be like this.
    Old TB was comfy & made sense. 2014 TB does not.
    The bumping rules of only one thread per 24hrs makes no sense. Can't respond to ads.
    The "like" is the WORST feature of all. It's going to turn TB into a popularity contest like Facebook is.
    The BEST part is I will save LOTS of money now that I won't be on TB like I was. I guess I will be looking for gear on Reverb.com now.

Update - Thanks Paul for Updating the REPLY function on the classified as quickly as you did. OK, I am starting to get used to the new TB but I miss the old look and the feeling that it was our secret.

Get rid of the STATUS and LIKES. This is a forum, not Facebook. I feel it will "dumb down" the site. I DO NOT CARE what your status is. I want to buy a bass or find info. This is TALKBASS, not FACEBASS...

OK, hopefully I'm done complaining and others see the same obstacles that I do and the bugs will get worked out.

Gosh, I MISS OLD TB !!!!

dannster likes this.
  12. Halvorsen

Halvorsen

Mar 7, 2008
    Vermont
    This feels like trying out a Fender at Guitar Center. You know it's supposed to be good, but the feel is all off.
    Please take the forums to a good tech for a setup.........

jim nolte and Rabidrasbora like this.
  13. You can turn off like's in the alert settings notice how at the bottom of my posts there isnt a like feature? at least I dont see one maybe we cant like our own stuff............dont like me....ha

edit well someone liked it so I guess you just dont see you're own like button and cant like yourself.

BluesBear likes this.
  14. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Very disappointed in this new layout. Not renewing my membership.

15. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    The people complaining about the white background:
    You're noting it because it is Different, not because it doesn't work.

All of Facebook's text is against a white background. How come no one complains about that?
    Because that's the way it has been.

16. Fragile Thunder

Fragile Thunder self-proclaimed

Jan 2, 2014
    Central NY
    It makes a poopy site slightly less poopy.

17. xaxxat

xaxxat

Oct 31, 2008
    A bright white background is not conducive to reading text. This format gives me a headache.

18. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    Well that did t for me.. I like the retro style MUCH better.. The rest of it will take some getting used to but it is functional.. and just a matter of adjustment from here on out... My biggest gripe was the bright background... Thanks!

Now if you could make some of the new features optional ... say only for supporting members you know.. giving them the option to remove some features to declutter their interface.. I don't know how doable that is..

19. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    There are many ways of changing that yourself, at least on a desktop Windows box.

20. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I can't attach screen shots on the machine that isn't working because half of the features are missing, including the ability to respond to messages.
    And as I said, I believe that this problem is happening at the session level on the web application side and isn't specific to any particular browser or OS. Something in the way this new layout handles formatting (probably CSS) is not working with more than a few people's security/proxy settings. Chances are something just needs to get tweaked on the back end to make the application more friendly with different security settings. Since I'm guessing A LOT of people view TB from work, and a lot of businesses have proxies/firewalls, and the application worked just fine before the change, a solution can and should be forthcoming.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021