1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Octave Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PseudoSpaceman, Jan 4, 2012.

1. MXR Bass Octave Deluxe

53 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. EHX Micro POG

25 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Boss OC-3

19 vote(s)
    13.2%
  4. The EBS one

18 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Other, why?

29 vote(s)
    20.1%
  1. PseudoSpaceman

PseudoSpaceman

Jul 5, 2009
    I am in the market for an octave pedal and I have pretty much rounded it down to 4. The MXR BOD, the Boss OC-3, the EHX Micro POG, and the EBS one(can't think of the name right now). I have chose these basically because they are fairly cheap and because I don't have the scratch for a boutique pedal. What would you recommend if you had to pick one of these and price was a factor?

2. I would look for a used Boss OC-2 or go with the MXR. I got the MXR as a gift and love it. I had the EBS and it was ok, but I traded with a band mate for his OC-2 and I far prefer the OC-2 to the EBS pedal, and for him the EBS "smooth" setting is better than the OC-2, so it's win-win. I also think the MXR is better than the EBS, and cheaper too. Not to say the EBS is bad, it isn't, just that I prefer the MXR and the OC-2.

I would take the EBS over an OC-3, and I am not sure about the Micro POG as I've never tried one, but found I preferred simple analog octave-down pedals over the full-blown POG when I was shopping.

3. PseudoSpaceman

PseudoSpaceman

Jul 5, 2009
    I've heard great things about the OC-2 and almost everyone in PYPB threads have one. I've been looking for one for a while now but haven't had any luck.

4. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    The OC-2 is pretty good and can be had for pretty cheap... I vote for the MXR BOD with the EBS as a very close second because I prefer the big rig analog sound; my main octave of choice though is the Octron.

I tried the Micro POG in stores and own the orig. POG and both don't compare to the sound you can get out of the MXR, but I guess it depends on what you want. Do you want an octave that can provide a subtle, but smooth grunt below your sound or do you want a mack truck like octave that can rumble floors? What kind of music are you playing?

5. I have the OC2 and I love it. You can get one dirt cheap on GC's used site.

6. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    I've had the EBS and the Boss OC-2 in the past.

I just got an Aguilar Octomizer... I LOVE it.

Why? I think the Octomizer has a very synth-y gurgle that's still "BASS" that sounds more like what I want an Octave pedal to sound like. It's closer to the old OC-2's I remember from way back when... I also like how you can set the level of the Dry and the Octave sounds separately... a little more versatile than just a blend knob.

Granted it was a very close race between it and the MXR... but I found the MXR to be better suited/voiced for aggressive music... ESPECIALLY with the mid button engaged.

7. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I use the OC-2 sound almost as much as I use my clean bass sound. 'Other' for me, then.

8. I'd say go for the Octamizer or the MXR BOD. I've had both and they are both really solid pedals that sound great. The tracking is also really awesome on both of them (I haven't heard or owned the OC-2 personally, but I've read thats an issue for some people).

9. Jayhawk

Jayhawk

Sep 6, 2006
    Kansas City
    Another OC-2 user ... great octave pedal!

10. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    The EBS, Aguilar & MXR are all pretty good. I have the Aguilar right now, because I really love that it has low pass filter-So if I want, I can only get the octave effect on the lower notes while keeping my high end "clean".

11. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    I've got an OC-2

12. OC-2 on my board. I use it for the intro on Stevie Wonder's "I wish" to double the the keys with my bass.

13. RFord04

RFord04 Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Flint, Michigan
    Octamizer

14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I have the MXR. I had some trouble getting it to sit in the mix, but after some helpful advice from some TBers, I got it dialed in pretty good. I can't comment on how it compares to the others though because I have never had an octave pedal before.

15. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

I'm not a big octave user, so having 1 pedal for that effect didn't make sense to me. I ended up sellling a MXR BOD, as well returning a loaned OC-3.

I did get the Digitech BSW, which has a decent octaver IMO on mode 7. I also use it for 3 or 4 other functions.

16. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    MXR, with the Aguilar Octamizer in second.

17. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    One thing is that your personal decision shouldn't be based just on what everyone's favorite is, but what you are trying to accomplish sound-wise.

My quick opinion/experiences on some of the octavers:

POG-If you're planning on playing more than one note at a time (though I find the Aguilar & EBS can handle simple intervals like octaves and maybe even 5ths without sputtering) this is the pedal you want. It's the only one of the bunch that is truly polyphonic. One downside is that it does sound a little "clinical" compared to the others, and not quite as deep.

EBS-I think this is the best one if you're looking for a more subtle octave sound-it seems to have very little character on its own, so it blends in with your clean sound really well. Good for making your bass simply get that extra "oomph".

MXR-On the other hand, the MXR probably has the most character. As Funkyebk stated, this is a good octaver for aggressive music as it sounds kind of gritty with the growl voice and punches through with the mid button engaged. Only downside is I think this one tracks the poorest. It isn't as forgiving in my experience as the EBS or Aguilar.

Aguilar-I think this one is the most versatile. With the four knobs, you can get A LOT of sounds. Turn the octave filter fully clockwise and the octave level 100% wet, and you get a nice, synthy octave sound. Fully CCW or maybe a bit higher and blended with the clean signal you can get some EBS kind of sounds.

The above is all obviously IMO, and YMMV.

18. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    With octave pedals YMMV is the name of the game. The bass you use, the strings, and more than anything your technique have MASSIVE influence on how well one unit tracks over another. I tried out both the Aguilar Octomizer and the MXR BOD over the last several weeks at Premier Bass Guitar, and found that with some basses the Aguilar tracked lower than the MXR, switch basses and the MXR tracked lower...

19. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    the Mid switch looks like it helps bring it forward really well on demos

20. PseudoSpaceman

PseudoSpaceman

Jul 5, 2009
    I should have specified this before, I want the pedal to be fairly versatile. I want to be able to play deep synthy sounds and also be able to dial it back a bit and get some other, more subtle sounds.