1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Elrick Club Thread!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. Majestic, Mar 1, 2008.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Majestic

Mr. Majestic Majestic Wood Supply Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2005
    From Louisiana/In Arkansas
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    Help me out guys, I am trying to decide on a few things. #1. Bolt-on or Hybrid, #2. 5 or 6 string, #3 Bart. soaps. or AERO dual coils, #4. What pre on the Barts, OBP-3 or Bart, #5 If I go with the AEROs then Active or Passive. Any help would be appreciated.
    I talked to Rob the other day and I am about to send him the flamed ash for the body. I have also been on the look-out for some highly figued ash for the top. I have some amazing birdeye maple coming in this week. I am not sure how great it will be, but it is possible that the neck and FB will be birdeye maple.

2. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Oh,
    I missed this thread. I'll get some new pics of my basses.

I recently put some Nord DC's and an Audere pre into my 6 Classic Bolt-On. And a custom Audere pre with 2 Z-mode switches for my 6 Classic Neck through that has the original Bart J's, along with Nord J's along side of them.

Going to put in some Fat Stacks in another... was pondering trading them for Big Singles, but think I'll keep the Stacks.

Hey, Bryan, hope you and your family are well.

3. Mr. Majestic

Dec 3, 2005
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    You are definitely going to have to post some pics of that 6 string!

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey Kori- we're doing pretty well- hope all is good with you.

Majestic, it sound like you might not be ready for a custom yet :D Those are some big decisions to make, and you don't want to go into a $2500+ bass without knowing exactly what you want first. It seriously might be worth the $100 you spend in gas to drive to Bass Central in Florida to try out the different models there to see what attributes you like best; better to lose $100 on gas than to lose $1000 on resale.

Also keep in mind that Rob uses 19mm standard for both his 5 and 6 string basses, so his 6s are pretty wide. If I get the opportunity to order another from him this year to replace the 6 I had to sell, I'm going to order it with a somewhat tighter spacing at the bridge and nut.

5. nalapit13

nalapit13 official player and catcher of bass Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Middlesex, NJ
    call before you go to bass central if you decide to make the trip, they advertise alot of elricks on there website, but they only had two in stock.

i popped in there when i was on my honeymoon.

6. Mr. Majestic

Dec 3, 2005
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    Thanks for the help. I guess I need to clarify what is going on. I guess what I'm looking for is your experience with these different options. What do you guys prefer. I have pretty much settled on everything except bolt-on or hybrid. I love wide spacing and 19mm is no problem on a 6.
    I live in rural north Louisiana and I have nowhere even close to put my hands on an Elrick, or any other custom bass for that fact. :bawl: It would take more like $500 in gas to go to Bass Central and the drive would take over 12 hours, plus a hotel room. So, I have to depend on recomendations, to fine tune my decisions. I am currently having 4 custom basses built, for my business, and I want this one to be perfect.
    Plus I am trying to get you guys to talk about your Elricks.:hyper:

7. I'm personally not a fan of the Aero's, but that's based mainly off other basses with Aero's and one soundclip of an Elrick with them.

I would seriously go Nordstrand without hesitation, but the Barts are nice as well. I really like those Bart slim-soaps the best of all the Elrick Bart pickups.

For me, I like the Aggie pre, but the Bart/Bart is a very nice combination too. Either way will yield a good tone.

8. Mr. Majestic

Dec 3, 2005
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    Rob doesn't offer the Nords, but I have decided to go with the AERO dual coils and the Aggie pre. I do like Carey's pick-ups and they could always be retro-fit in the future. I think I will be satisfied with the AERO's, though. I was leaning toward the AERO's mainly to get the wooden pick-up covers. I plan on playing and displaying this bass and the AERO's look very classy and sound great.

9. i changed out the bridge pick up and added the ramp.

10. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Here are my Elricks

Can I have no 18?

old pic of all 4:

front
    [​IMG]

back
    [​IMG]

after mods
    l_c75072f0e608a109e1ffcbca5a494bfd.

configuration Bart JJ, Nord JJ, Audere custom Pre: neck vol nord/bart, bridge vol nord/bart, bass, hi mid/lo mid, treble/true treble, series bart switch, series nord switch, Z mode barts, Z mode nords.
    l_8679709634c3bca08e57d45883ec6ccf.

nord DC's with Audere Pre
    l_f8f9a52f6f54aead93811d67c3b3dee1.

waiting for mods
    l_ac88e75c03bf100e1b291c16a43cd2d9.

11. Mr. Majestic

Dec 3, 2005
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    Here's the updated list. I plan on allowing the Elrick/Cort members in but I haven't had the time to assign them a number.

Elrick Club Members:

1. Bryan R. Tyler
    2. blowinblue
    3. imjammin
    4. John Damstra
    5. fretlessspence
    6. brianh
    7. membranophone
    8. jdombrow
    9. espositod
    10. 55-02
    11. Halftooth
    12. OneMan
    13."reserved"
    14. Mr. Majestic
    18.C-5KO

12. Mr. Majestic

Dec 3, 2005
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    That's a mighty nice herd ya' got there! What settings do you prefer on the mods?

13. Somehow I was left off the list...I believe I was #11 on the last count.

14. Mr. Majestic

Dec 3, 2005
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    Taken care of. I had copied an old list.
    Sorry!:crying:

15. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    With the Nord DC's, I like the bridge parallel, with the neck series. Dialed in favouring the bridge about 70/30.

With the JJ/JJ, it get's pretty confusing. I don't really have a favourite setting yet, but I do like the Nords in series, with the Bart bridge J soloed and in Low Z mode.

Another thing I found with all the mods, I've had to change my strings. Originally, I used DR Fatbeams on the JJ, now it has Sunbeams, and on the Nord DC I'm using Sunbeams also. The Fatbeams are just a little too bright for my taste.

I may start using Elrick Stainless Steels though. For SS, his strings are the warmest IMO. When I got my Singlecut, he strung SS on it. I had to call and confirm that they were SS, and not Nickels. I find SS last longer than Nickels for me.

The pickup covers for the DCs were crafted by Nateo. I'd like to publicly thank him for an amazing job. I asked a bunch of people (well known luthiers) to fit the 19mm DC's into the same spacing as the original Barts, and everyone said it couldn't be done. Leave it to a fellow Canadian to grind them out!

16. Mr. Majestic

Dec 3, 2005
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    I think he has some new nickle strings that he is coming out with or has come out with ,but not yet put on his site. I have not had the opprtunity to play his strings yet, but I do know the story of how much research went into them.
    Very interesting combonation of pick-ups and electronics you have there.

17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Kori, are the pickup covers that Nateo made radiused? They look like it- I've wanted radiused pups for my Elrick for forever now. Nateo is a great guy- he purchased one of my paintings a while back :)

18. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Oh, and Mr. Majestic- I forgot to answer one of your questions. I don't believe I've tried a Hybrid, so I can't tell you the difference between it and a bolt-on. One thing that's very cool about the Elrick bolt-on design is that it gives better access than pretty much any other bolt-on out there, and even better access than most neck-throughs (even the Elrick neck-through/hybrid design is thicker in the highest registers than the bolt-on is).

19. Mr. Majestic

Dec 3, 2005
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    Hey Bryan, just checked out your site and wanted to compliment you on your work. There are several paintings I really dig, but my favorite is the charcoal "Dinner For One".
    Are these works that are for sale?

20. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I'd be interested in hearing about the research. Can you PM me?

The SS are great strings. If I didn't get such a good deal on DR strings, I'd be using his. In Canada DR's run for $50+ a pack (6'ers). I got them on TB from another member for about $30 a pack. I'm running low now, so I'll be considering going Elrick strings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.