1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official ESP club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkmasterflex, Mar 4, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Rojd

Rojd Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Rocky Mountains
    Yeah, I have the stock pots. I'm looking at the Q parts dome & mini dome knobs with natural abalone. I exchanged emails with ESP and they said they should work fine. I have that black nickel hardware and getting close to matching is hard. I'm finding the knobs in black, gold, chrome(all on Musician's Friend), Q-parts site has dome and mini dome in pearl black. I think the chrome might be too light/bright, the pearl black might be too dark. Thoughts?

pearl black
    dome_shell_natural_abalone_pbk_1.

chrome(from Musician's friend)
    upload_2018-8-7_10-28-28.
    MF has the bigger knobs in black chrome only. I don't really want to put those on the smaller eq pots. maybe that would work?

upload_2018-8-7_10-30-37.

I'm actually leaning toward the pearl black, as I think the regular chrome is too light/bright and will stand out too much and look off. Opinions?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  2. spaceatl

spaceatl

Jun 22, 2018
    Maybe check out AllParts UK...They have what look like real cosmo black knobs (Ibanez) with inlays you can choose from. Cosmo black is close (have a 91 S540LTD guitar), but not exactly what ESP is doing for their black chrome.

Cosmo Black Barrel Knob - Choose your custom inlay!

3. Rojd

Rojd Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Rocky Mountains
    I think the q parts pearl black might be the closest I can get to the ESP LTD black nickel. Q parts doesn't have enough available right now. I need 3, they have 1 of course. Once they have them, I can get all 5 that will match.

mini_shell_natural_abalone_pbk_1.

4. spaceatl

spaceatl

Jun 22, 2018
    That looks nice!
    I ended up with old school black rubber EMG knobs on my 205...I had an old BQS I put in it. Not as nice looking as those blue pearl tops, but it came out interesting looking with DR black beauties and black knobs. lol!

5. Rojd

Rojd Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Rocky Mountains
    This celtic one is pretty nice too.

dome_metal_celtic_weave_black_pbk_1.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  6. Ghoul76

Ghoul76

Jul 23, 2018
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The B-4E had caught my eye and is now on the list as a potential purchase. Seems like a lot of nice stuff for the price.

dbbltime likes this.
  7. AEVAREX

AEVAREX

Jun 10, 2013
    Western Ma.
    I would like to join the Official ESP club! I'm just going to go ahead and assign myself #232 until such time I am given a number proper. As of the last updated list this number was not taken.
    20180928_183151.

C_Becker and pappabass like this.
  8. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Got a LTD D6 on the way.
    Will post pics when I take delivery.

FingerDub and AEVAREX like this.
  9. gebass6

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    And here it is.

Picked it up yesterday.
    I have not played it through my amp yet.
    It's at the practice place.
    Using Vox Amplug.

It has both sounds that I like.
    The deep throaty neck pickup and the punchy burp of the bridge pickup.
    20181101_163633.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    Geri O, AEVAREX, Ggeorges and 3 others like this.
  10. FingerDub

FingerDub Banned

Jan 8, 2016
    VERY nice. I have found the LTD pickups to be more than adequate and especially hot which might be nice for the 6 string.

gebass6 likes this.
  11. gebass6

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    I'm also surprised to find that my bass was made last year!
    I was under the impression that they were a discontinued line.
    The sales must be fairly good to keep on making them!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  12. gebass6

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Good!
    I'm thinking this bass may be a "no mod" bass.
    Normally I would switch out the hardware for gold.
    But the "black nickel"seems to be convincing me to keep it as is.

FingerDub likes this.
  13. AEVAREX

AEVAREX

Jun 10, 2013
    Western Ma.
    I just purchased a new D-4 direct from ESP. Was built just a month before. They made a few changes from the previous iteration.
    The whole neck thru excluding the headstock front is no longer stained to match the merbau of the body.
    The 12th fret marker is no longer an inlay with the model, instead it has the standard 2 dots and the model is now engraved into the truss rod cover.
    And the knob layout is slightly different. The three eq knobs now follow the contour of the body and the volume and selector are moved a little tword the neck.
    LTD D-4 New 2018 Model. LTD D-4 Headstock New 2018 Model.

Personally I would rather they had kept the stain to match the neck to the body. But thems the breaks when you buy unseen. Still an awesome playing and sounding bass!

C_Becker and dbbltime like this.
  14. gebass6

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  15. Just got a decent pic of my LTD TA-600, thought I'd share and join in the fun. USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1537143531489.jpg_1537143535346.

C_Becker, AEVAREX and FingerDub like this.
  16. ty1220

ty1220

Jun 10, 2018
    ESP LTD 2. I bought an LTD F-205 back in August of this year. I have previously had a BC Rich 4 string and an old Ibanez EX 4 string that I loved. I am still a beginner. I was never serious about music back when I had those guitars, I just got half drunk usually and tried playing along to songs, and realizing that I was mostly trying to play along with the guitars, and my playing had little relation to any actual bass parts going on. I never took any lessons and during most of that time there was no internet to turn to for help.

This time I am doing lessons online and making an effort to learn something about music. I am loving this bass so far. I do find that a 5 string bass is a little harder to get to some of the frets with my left hand, and it's going somewhat slowly but it's fun learning and practicing so far. I am 53 now so I find it takes quite a bit longer to really grasp something and to have that knowledge translate to my hands, as opposed to when I was 18 or 30.

In my short experience with the bass, I would definitely recommend an ESP ( or at least this one) to anyone thinking of getting one. The only possible gripe I can think of is it seems rather heavy. Other than that I find it a really nice looking bass and I like the variety of tones I can get out of it and the action feels good.

17. I have a D4 and a Korean made B205 with emg"s 20181117_192202.

AEVAREX likes this.
  18. Rojd

Rojd Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Rocky Mountains
    Hey all,

I have an LTD B-206SM that I love, great bass. It came with D'Addario 30-45-65-85-105-125. I'll be replacing them in the future and am looking NYXL 32-45-65-80-100-130 super long.

Has anyone installed a .130B and/or know if it will fit through the string hole at the bridge? The .125 on there looks real close.

I also have the opportunity to get a La Bella 29-45-65-85-105-128 XL set.

Thanks!

kPGM6pipSRX6c7K5YMBEuTn9LuFcVu87z-AqeH1q1LXl9T2gVov_Fjsr37RxcDclQYigPWJkStuaovgxt0f=w489-h868-no.

AEVAREX likes this.
  19. AEVAREX

AEVAREX

Jun 10, 2013
    Western Ma.
    I use a .130 on my B-55. Went through the bridge and seated in the nut without issue for me. I was prepared to modify if it didn't, purchased a small round file for if I needed to open up the hole on the bridge. And planned on using the .130 string itself to open up the nut slot. Thankfully it just fell into place with no work required.
    Nice looking bass, it's definitely one of the newer builds. Good luck.

20. Rojd

Rojd Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Rocky Mountains
    Thanks, I think it looks pretty good too.

Ok, cool. I'm sure the bridge is a bit different from my 206 (LTD DB-6) , but as long as the string holes are the same size, the 130 should fit fine. If not, then I could go with the 128.

AEVAREX likes this.