Once again, a 410 + 115 thread.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by el murdoque, Jul 28, 2021.

1. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Hi good people of Talkbass.

I'd like to ask once again why, even in this educated age we live in, the 4x10 + 1x15 cabinet stack is still a thing.

I always thought this came from the dark ages. "The 410 is for punch while the 115 brings the lows" was what was rooted in the minds. My thesis was that this came from the fact that everyone had big a$$ hifi speakers at home back then - where the big woofers did just that while the smaller speakers in the middle did the mids and the weird contraptions on top were somehow producing the highs.
    Since HiFi speakers are not a thing any more and those that still are usually look part modern art part speaker and have woofers in unusual sizes in unusual places, that can't be an influence any more.

What else makes people choose the uneven couple?

xJasonSmithx, Ellery and MattZilla like this.
  2. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    76436672.jpg

bajaandy, lomo, sloppy_phil and 37 others like this.
  3. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    I guess sometimes people just like how it sounds. There's no arguing with that, if you like it, than it works for you.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I could be wrong here, but maybe it has something to do with the specs manufacturers are printing? I'm on the market for another cab to pair with my Ampeg PN210, so I'm just going to use the PN series as the scapegoat. On paper, the PN115 is rated at 35 - 18. Their PN410 at 45 - 18, so it appears the 115 gets more low end. Just play whatever you think sounds best regardless mixing and matching.

lomo and BassFalcon like this.
  5. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    What makes you think we live in an educated age? The number of bass players that frequent talk bass is highly overestimated; I'd also guess there are many members here that never go to the amps section, read info about power distribution, and never pay attention to frequency specs. If you're not a fellow amp nerd, it likely holds no interest to you.

6. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Our backlines have nothing to do with education and everything to do with our preferences, what we hear and the playing situation we are in. I have mixed 210's and 115's and 112's and 210's. I've been told on TB that those combinations won't work!! I was there. . . . they did. Those rigs sounded very good.

If cabs were designed to be mixed then that's OK. Mesa Subway and Bergs definitely fall into that category. My guess is that there are others.

7. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    To be clear, I don't think anyone has said that mixed cabs "won't work." The clear consensus seems to be that mixed cabs (which were not designed to be used together) might or might not sound good together. The advantage of choosing matched cabs is that they will almost certainly sound good together.

Coot, Stevorebob, lomo and 15 others like this.
  8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    When that combination is designed to work together, it works. Go with whatever sounds good.

cassanova likes this.
  9. WillyW

WillyW l’art pour l’art, fonction de baise

Dec 10, 2019
    And the nice thing about the interwebz is you can pick and choose your own truth.

lomo, BlueTalon, covermego and 12 others like this.
  10. 6thplanet

6thplanet Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2019
    Indiana
    Wait....Hifi speakers aren't a thing anymore? Lies!!!

Ampslut, OOD, Bass Jones and 8 others like this.
  11. 31HZ

31HZ Glad to be here Supporting Member

I thought that Leo perfected the 410/115 stack in 1956, no? Why mess with perfection?

12. While the numbers say the 115 cab will produce more low, more than likely the 410 cab will create more decibels, assuming the similar cab efficiency, which may over power the 1-15 cab to the point you can’t here it. Of course, if you have a stereo power amp that would not be an issue.

cassanova and Rip Van Dan like this.
  13. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    You can't over power the pro neo series. It's impossible.

dbsfgyd1 likes this.
  14. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Suspended

Why, in the educated age we live in, do people still smoke tobacco? ;)

15. slagbass

slagbass Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Canada
    Here - hold my beer.......

mikeswals, MYLOWFREQ, JoePP and 14 others like this.
  16. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    (looks at 410/115 stack)
    (looks at college degree on wall)
    (walks away from troll thread, puts el murdoque on "ignore" on the way out)

sprag, Meghans Dad, 2112 and 3 others like this.
  17. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Okay, I'll keep it safe for you. You're probably gonna need a drink when you finally give up.

And an aspirin.

mexicanyella likes this.
  18. 31HZ

31HZ Glad to be here Supporting Member

I initially went straight to the cheap snarky answer, but the real answer is, "because some folks like the sound of it."

And that's the only reason that anyone ever needs to justify their choices in gear. :thumbsup:

Rockinscott69, murphy, Holdsg and 3 others like this.
  19. coyote1

coyote1

Mar 23, 2012
    Yep. Exactly.

On a tech level, I can see the argument against putting one amp into those two cabinets. But if you bi-amp, and set each amp-cab as its own thing and then blend them together to taste, well…. Aren’t you then doing what every PA system does?

In any event, this is music. And in music, sound has to rule everything else. So with any/all bass rigs, if you like the sound and your band likes the sound and your audience likes the sound, the “tech level” is meaningless.

20. jdthebassman

jdthebassman play to live live to play Inactive Suspended Supporting Member

I used to have that setup but I got sick of lugging around all that heavy gear so I bought a audiokinesis 1505 cab nothing else compares.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021