1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One Bass Player You Think Is Underrated?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Funk$tar, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Funk$tar

Funk$tar Guest

Jun 8, 2013
    Hey TB People!

I wanted to know if any of you out there know of a bass player you think is underrated and deserves more credit than he/she gets!

For me, I believe Tracy Wormworth of the Waitresses is a very underrated bass player! A big influence being the fact I'm black and a women and I just don't see many women like that up on stage or women of any color at all getting credit! She is one hell of a bass player and an awesome one at that!

And Just for a little bonus there is also a VERY VERY underrated player by the name of Joe Dworniak who played for an English Funk group called," I Level." They had a hit back in 82'or 83' called,"Give Me." Great song but the greatest part was the bass line, PLEASE check it out, such an awesome player!

Link:

Thanks And Please Comment!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    drabbit likes this.
  2. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You're gonna need a serious rethink on the first half of this then. ;)

These never end well. :)

Funk$tar likes this.
  3. Funk$tar

Funk$tar Guest

Jun 8, 2013
    Haha I think your right :thumbsup:
    I changed it up a bit if you can tell haha

4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

Here's a guy you've probably never heard of. Charles Calmese. He played bass on James Cotton's "High Energy" album, and probably others, but that's the only album I have with him on it, and I've otherwise never even heard him mentioned. The bass playing on this album isn't groundbreaking, but the groove is insanely deep. So he's underrated for sure. The music is funky blues and r'n'b.

Completely different genre. Still talking underrated here. There's an 80s-era punk band called The Zero Boys, and they had a bassist named (IIRC) David "Tufty" Clough. Check out their album "Civilization's Dying" and prepare for some of the best punk bass playing ever.

Overrated? Me. I get a lot of compliments, because I play in a band that builds the songs starting (mainly) with the bass parts. So of course I'm playing interesting stuff. Does that make me a great bass player in any traditional sense? Not really. Yes, I can play meat-and-potatoes bass, but I would describe myself as merely average in that role.

Funk$tar likes this.
  5. I'm probably going to end up in black bag for this but . . . I think McCartney is slightly overrated :bag: not that I don't love him or his stuff, maybe I just don't get him (or rather his followers :help: ); someone underrated? Hmmm, I'll give it to whoever this guy is laying it down

danosix and Funk$tar like this.
  6. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    Juan Nelson, and Eric Wilson.

descendent22, thabassmon and LedReign like this.
  7. Funk$tar

Funk$tar Guest

Jun 8, 2013
    Man your not alone! I respect McCartney but I think many people part of the bass community praise him a little too much when there are so many other players that deserve the credit!

Doogal123 and pacojas like this.
  8. How is underrated defined? Does that mean a monster player that nobody's ever heard, or a monster player that doesn't play like a monster, or a guy that does something simple insanely well and goes unnoticed for it? For a guy who's underrated because he rarely played to his ability due to the band he was in, I'd suggest Michael Anthony. He's a much more accomplished musician than Van Halen allowed him to show.

9. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    Ron Benjamin of Midnite

10. I suppose, theoretically, you could have a player that fits all 3 of those definitions.

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Gord Sinclair of The Tragically Hip, although they are only really Canadian famous.

iunno, Signalsdrone, ppiluk and 2 others like this.
  12. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Deoindra I remember Tracy, "boys like me" lol, (I'm old) but as for women not getting their props I think that there are women bassists who have captured the limelight such as Rhonda Smith, Esperanza Spalding, the woman playing for Beyoncé, the woman playing for Prince, Starr Cullers with P-Funk, Gail Ann Dorsey, Bikki Johnson and lots more I'm forgetting (I'm old) lol lol lol. I'm sure someone will chime in on the names of others, oh oh, Paz and Tal better not forget them...someone please fill in the blanks for me hahahaha

the harp unstrung likes this.
  13. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    Erick Coomes

If you don't know who he is, you better ask somebody.

thabassmon and joshmat like this.
  14. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Those of us along the Northern border appreciate the Tragically Hip. They usually stop in GR on their way from Toronto to Chicago.

If we are going with great players no one has ever heard of for geographical reasons, I'll nominate Javier Malosetti.

15. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I'm holding that big black bag - Please jump in...

mcarp555 and bassmeknik like this.
  16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Almost everyday I put on a CD with a bassist I think is underrated, todays edition: Kurt Reeber from the Motet. Tracy also sounded great with Sting.

17. cbrophy

cbrophy

Nov 11, 2009
    Central MA.
    Graham Maby...longtime bassist with Joe Jackson.

18. digmeout

digmeout

Oct 21, 2012
    Arizona

19. hhirbe

hhirbe

Mar 30, 2012
    Athens, Ohio
    Tony Sales. He and his brother Hunt were the rhythm section on the Iggy Pop record Lust For Life, and later were Bowie's Tin Machine. Super solid, great stuff.

chuck norriss likes this.
  20. hhirbe

hhirbe

Mar 30, 2012
    Athens, Ohio
    Tony Sales. He and his brother Hunt were the rhythm section on the Iggy Pop record Lust For Life, and later were Bowie's Tin Machine. Super solid, great stuff.

davy4575 and hover like this.