1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One cabinet for stoopid loud gigs...options?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Jun 21, 2007.

1. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    yea somehow it does not seem right that they could be that loud, light and tight...I've been taking only one to a lot of gigs lately...

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    Cape of New Jersey
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music (retired)
    When I did that blues-rock gig with a Focus over a pair of Wizzy10 cabs I believe it was the first time in my life that I had the smallest rig on stage. :D

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Took the big girl and two Wizzy 10's to the loud pub gig tonight (Jeremy, you know the Nachbar, right?), and the sound was huge. I had to dial out some lows, but once I did that, I was in tone heaven. I was even able to blend some mic into the signal and still have the volume and presence. Wow. Kudos again to the EA guys who built these things. Life is good!

4. triplelutz

triplelutz

Nov 8, 2006
    Aguilar, Elixir, Dunlop
    Hey Fellas,

In my experience, the Schroeder 1210 is a killer upright cab. Not too woofy and extremely punchy. Plus, setting it on it's side "faces" up so you can hear yourself very well. I run that cab with either an AI Focus or a Markbass LMK...depending on the band and style.

5. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    That can be a lovely, clear-sounding room, and I've had the most satisfying experience yet with my Wizzy 12 there on the tile floor next to the sink and towel dispenser. But then the libations get flowing, the room fills up, and good luck. I'm amazed that you could blend in the mic!

I sold my Acme Low B2 to a student who needed it worse than I do, and now I feel stranded without a stoopid loud cab. I wish there was a sub or extension made to be matched to a Wizzy 12 (and also I guess I should wish that the Focus had a lower minimum impedance that 4ohm to make it work). There's always the powered Wizzy, I guess...

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    My Focus is 2 ohm rated, otherwise I couldn't use 2 Wizzy cabs. But I agree that the room sounds surprisingly good. I was set up in front of the heater. later this month, John Goldsby is going to be playing and recording there, and it'll be interesting to sit out front and see what the mix sounds like on the other side of the room.

7. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Your Series III Focus, yes? My Series II is only good down to 4 (although the Series II Clarus heads were safe down to 2). I was brushing up on the manual the other day because of this very topic.

Wha...?

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Ah. Learn something new every day.

He's actually coming in for the jazz fest at the U., but while he's here Jacob and Jason thought they'd grab him and do a recording at the good old Nachbar. John's gonna be borrowing my stuff, so I'm looking forward to listening to my gear with John playing it. I also plan to heckle him whenever he reaches for the bow, otherwise J&J will keep asking, "hey, how come *you* never bring a bow to the gig"? The real answer, of course, is to give damon s. more ammunition, but I'm not gonna tell them that. :)

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021