1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One cabinet for stoopid loud gigs...options?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yes, but just a smidge - just enough to add some air and balance a bit more toward the G string. The hybrid is my gigging bass for everything.

2. The reason I ask is that sometimes the plywoods are easier to amplify at high levels. Another thought - a pickup with a higher output could be a less expensive solution. I know you like and are used to the FC, but you never know - I was surprised to find how usable a Shadow (Underwood style) is on my LaScala. It has an extremely hot signal. I use the notch filter on the Focus to tame the high end. Actually the best sound I get is when I blend it with the FC. Go figure! Neither one by itself is great, but combined they work pretty well.

3. You could use the Eden D410XLT box. It has wheels and it has everything that you are going to need for that kind of gig. :)

4. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    I play loud gigs on DG and/or doubling on slab alot. Since buying my pair of Wizzy M-line 12's back last Oct. '06 they're all I use anymore for except for my small combos for almost acoustic gigs. Don't worry Phil, I won't start hurling superlatives again. Safe to say you can check my gushing posts on the subject on other threads.

Tonight I palyed a private party w/ the WM lines. I used one w/ Focus 2rIII for the Jazz quintet cocktail hr and left the other on stage where the full band would be later. Great sound in a crappy dead sounding rm. For the main event I stacked the Wizzy's and the Focus. Doubled on DB and slab w/ 10 piece dance band playing crazy loud world-beat, Klezmer and swing. Hard hitting drummer in a very long large room. The bass was not in the PA and I think I had enough headroom to drown out the entire band if I wanted to. The slab w/ the low end pushed just a tad was big and fat and clear. The DB w/ just a little of subdub stuff notched out w/ the HP filter sounded as big as a house, lush and clear. I play w/ this same band w/ one WM in medium to mdium -large rooms and it always surprises me w/ its largess. (ok maybe just a bit of hurling)

When playing at these loud volumes I never bother w/ a mic, but when playing Jazz I'll often convince a leader to let me put my Audix into a PA channel. This helps to avoid feedback as opposed to putting it thru my rig.

Does the Wizzy 10 come in 4 ohm version? I bet a Wizzy M 12 + a Wizzy 10 stacked would be neat if they were both 4 or both 8 ohms. However, I think part of the biggness of thw one WM 12 sound is the fact that it is a 4ohm cab.

BTW- any of you mid west guys know of a decent DB I can rent in Cleveland for a Aug. 5th concert gig? The presenter has a small budget for a rental for me. PM me w/ any suggestions. THANKS, Brian

5. The 10 is only available as a 4ohmer. The WM - line comes in 4 or 8.

6. Tell me about the LaScala. I have a buddy that has built those before, and told me he would build me one to play my bass through.

Johnny

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Not quite sure what you mean - the LaScala is a New Standard bass built by Arnold Schnitzer and Wil DeSola. Jack has the same model bass as I do, and his played great. The New Standard basses are remarkably consistent.

8. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Are you thinking of the LaScala speakers made by Klipsch?

If so they'd be awful for live reproduction of a DB.

9. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I think the newer AI amps sound quite a bit like the old Woods amps, and especially so if you bump up the bass on the AI and cut the treble a hair.

10. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I haven't found that with my AI amp. There is a sweetness to the sound of the older Woods amps that nobody has been able to get at yet. Part of the AI attraction for DB is the lack of coloration. I like that about them. I like the tone of those Woods amps too.

I wish I could get the function of the AI amps in the Woods tone.

11. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Hey Phil-

At least with my setup, there is a certain pleasantness to the old Woods high end that I can hear solo but I couldn't hear it at all on the bandstand. In fact, and this seemed like more of a difference....the Woods was maybe just a little to fat and tubey for my tastes where the AI seems to stay a little tighter. I'm talking about the old MI-100, mid 80's. This was even more palpable with the slab.

I give it up for Walter for doing it 20 years ago though.

And...back to Chris ruling hell with an iron fist...

W

12. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I'm with you on that. Hence my using the AI head as well.

13. yes i was talking about a klipsch LaScala.

He swears they would be good for bass. He said they have really high efficiency and flat response. why wouldn't that be good????

14. Actually the first WW mini amp with the same class A, FET-based preamp design used through the 80's came out around 1970.

15. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    They aren't really all that flat. The low end is truncated and the high end is brash. They have a horn for uppermids and highs and they have a 15" Woofer. Horns and 15's are not very useful in reproducing the sound of a double bass live.

In addition they are big and heavy.

There is significant difference between studio recording replication (home audio) and live instrument reproduction. Using home audio designs to amplify live instruments rarely works on a gig in the real working environment.

LaScalas were used years ago in sound reinforcement on a small club scale. To my knowledge no professional sound company is using them any more. I have not heard of any instance of use of that design for bass instrument amplification.

16. Big and heavy is the part that scares me most. I want LOUD and flat in a 5 pound lunchbox :)

17. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Amen on that.

18. Hi Chris, have you tried a Bill Fitzmaurice cab?

I've just acquired an Omni 10.5 and this thing gets super loud. The trouble is, it doesn't sound loud as the volume is so clear! ;)

19. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've never had the chance to try one, but would be happy to!

20. Cool!

Roll on down to Wellington and i'll fire it up! :hyper:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021