1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One cabinet for stoopid loud gigs...options?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Jun 21, 2007.

1. I'd highly recommend the EA Wizzy M. It sounds great and gets very loud when needed. The Wizzy M was noticeably more sensitive in a side-by-side comparison with my VL-208 (the VL-208 needed significantly more power to achieve the same volume as the Wizzy M) and the Wizzy M is a 4 ohm cab, which allows your amp to develop more power and therefore have more headroom available. I've yet to find a situation where the Wizzy couldn't cut it, even with a loud R&B band. The Wizzy M is also quite a bit lighter than a VL-208.

2. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd host again if there is interest.

3. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I really liked that box too. I would buy one at some point if I felt compelled to move away from the 208, but so far the 208s are holding up well.

4. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Chris,

I think Uncletoad is right you could use your current setup 108/208 and not spend additional $$$.

If you do want a single cabinet solution I couldn't speak more highly of the NL210 I have been using it now for a few months on both electric and DB. To my suprise it has handled even the biggest EB gigs with a 12 piece R&B band, PA support or not. In addition I think it has a killer DB sound. I pair it with a lead sled "Glockenklang Heart Rock" so I couldn't speak to the quality and volume with the super light Focus....

Pete

5. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Has anyone compared the Wizzy M line 12 to the NL210?

6. Chris, I have both an M-Line 12 and the Bag End S15's. All three are compact, loud, powerhouse cabs.

Definitely look at an S15-D in the mix also. Those little guys move a ton of air for their size and handle to 800 watts peak. Although two of them stacked weigh 88 pounds, they are so compact and easy to move that the mini 2x15 stack happens easily at a gig. 4 ohms total, way over 1000 watts peak handling, would get louder than all get out.

7. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    In my personal experience I absolutely can not stand the sound of the DB through my S15D/S15XD stack.

IMO of course......

8. It wasn't clear to me, from the OP's first post, if he is playing DB at this gig or EB. If EB, I stand by what I said.

I have no experience playing DB through S15's. I'm sure you're right about that, Peter.

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Back when I played BG regularly, I used a Bag End 15 along with a 210 for most gigs. While the rig sounded great for the BG, it didn't sound too good for DB.

I played last night with one of the groups that plays the gigs that this thread is about, only in a quieter venue. Even there, the style that this group plays makes the VL208 seem too inefficient at times. I'll probably try the 308 thing next time I play one of these loud gigs and see how it goes. One problem with the VL series cabs is that they're so damned inefficient that they can really only pair with each other.

I'm hoping that a belchfest can be put together for sometime this summer if enough people are into the idea. I'm not sure what the best location should be, though, if the Indy guys are into trying to make the hang. Phil's Columbus location was perfect last time, and robgrow was a prince about splitting the driving with me. However, I'm not knowledgeable enough about geology to know if Indy is that much farther from Columbus than Cincy, or if we were to try to do it in Cincy, whether we could find a suitable place. Still, in an ideal situation, it would be cool to compare/contrast the following:

M-line Wizzy 12
    Wizzy 10
    NL210 Epi 210
    VL208
    And maybe even a micro 300 if they're up and running right by then. As long as I'm dreaming, what am I leaving out? If it were to happen, i could bring a digital camera and audio recorder to help document the results. And, of course, the belchage.

If I had a bigger car I could bring both LaScalas, but as it is I'd probably just bring "Julliette". :D

10. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Cinci is a good midpoint between Louisville, Columbus, and Indianapolis/Bloomington. Anybody down there wanna host? Make it on a day with a Reds home game and I'm in pig heaven. Cowlumbus is of course always available for a belching.

11. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I wanna belch. Wait...ah, that's better.
    I think we should entice Andy Stetson to rejoin the discussion here at TalkBass (his reason for staying away is long gone), and then get him to host a belchfest at the new location the Bass Cellar just moved to. Then we could see what an $80K Italian bass with fifteen-year-old Flexocores an inch off the fingerboard sounds like through an Underwood into a stack of VL208s...

12. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I have heard pretty good things about the Epi UL310 on DB but have not tried it...it is not too heavy, likely much lighter than your VL208. I know Adrian Cho and I both use the UL110 for some things and it has a nice DB character. Just a thought if you can get ahold of one. I think the Foci and the Epi cabs work pretty nicely together.

W

13. Are you going to "entice" him?

If that doesn't work out, I can easily find a place in Indy.

If it's early enough in the day, we could probably use the Jazz Kitchen.

14. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    You might check into an Epifani UL 112. It's really light (20-25 lbs) and I've actually never had a volume issue with it (I generally use an Eden head). I've used it for some LOUD gigs and it's always been cool.

15. Cincinnati is about equidistant from Louisville, Indianapolis and Columbus (about 2 hours or a little less from here to any of those cities). I'd be glad to do the leg work and help set things up for here, but unfortunately I don't know of a suitable venue. I will check around, but if anyone else has any great ideas I'd be open to suggestions.

16. I have a Bag End S-15, and it's very nice but very heavy for its size. I never use the S-15, since either of my Wizzy 12 cabs (E or M) will easily do the same work as the bigger, heavier 1x15 cab. Not to mention that the Wizzys really sound great. The Bag End S-15 has lots of grunt, but I get much more clarity and better sound all around with the EA cabs.

17. Phil, Surely you know the Reds suck this year. :( (It's still fun to go to the games though.)

18. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    If I based my sports attendance on the winning records of the teams I watch play I'd have to stay home all my life.

Besides, baseball is about loosing. See my essay on the subject on my blog.

http://fretshop.com/WordPress/?p=10

19. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Very well written! Love the Yankees and hate losing!

20. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Swept by the Rockies? Sorry bout your year.

...well not really. He he....

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021