1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One Control Blue 360 AIAB Preamp Just Announced

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by louisray, Nov 28, 2018.

1. louisray

louisray

Jul 10, 2017
    If you're a fan/user of One Control pedals, I thought you guys might want to know that they just announced a new preamp:

Blue-360-AIAB-01.

According to the Google-translated Japanese site (Blue 360 AIAB), it's based on the Acoustic 360 amps that were well known to be extensively used by Jaco.

They also added an interesting -18dB switch on the side of the pedal.
    Blue-360-AIAB-04.

I'm actually on the verge of buying the Sonic Silver pedal to replace my Behringer preamp so this might be another option for me, especially with the added EQ knob.

Would love to hear your initial thoughts on the pedal!

amper, wmmj, gregmon79 and 4 others like this.
  2. Awesome. Wish they made a Peavey MarkIII/MarkIV but the Acoustics seem to share some common ground with them(vintage SS Amps that distort nicely). I like the 3k treble point and volume being used to distort as well.

Looking forward to hearing/trying this one.

gregmon79 and BrentSimons like this.
  3. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Interested!

4. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    The video that is up (in Japanese) seems decent - the guy plays a bit, then turns it on (I think), and it sounds cool for a couple seconds. Then, excessive wankery ensues, but it may have promise.

dune2k, wmmj and louisray like this.
  5. KokaKola

KokaKola

Jan 21, 2015
    Kalamazoo MI
    Very excited to hear some good demos of this, I've been crossing my fingers for a 360 preamp for awhile!

louisray likes this.
  6. louisray

louisray

Jul 10, 2017
    Here is the said video for those who haven't seen it yet:

Yeah, there's not much to it but it did add to my excitement. Here's hoping more demos will pop up the in the coming weeks.

7. Nick von Nick

Nick von Nick Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I do love these One Control "Amp-in-a-Box" pedals. This is now on my list - I'm total sucker for them.

I have the Sonic Silver Peg and the Crimson Bass Preamp, and I honestly love them both. The Crimson never leaves my board. I've nicknamed it the "dub switch" - if I roll off the Brilliance knob to full CCW, it cuts any boosts to the highs and fattens the low end somethin' fierce! Basically instant Reggae.

~Nick von Nick

P.S. My biggest complaint about One Control is their lack of functional documentation. I wish I knew more about the mechanics behind the knobs beyond the ear-candy results. They sound awesome, I just want to know more! That said, I'm also a technical writer by trade, so I always yearn for more documentation...

louisray, speedball3 and babaseen like this.
  8. speedball3

speedball3

Nov 13, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    None
    The English site has been updated: Blue 360 Bass Preamp

Ironically, their description is actually the most detailed of any OneControl pedal I’ve seen... but I agree the other pedals are sorely lacking in documentation. I will be interested to hear more examples of this pedal!

Nick, what amp is the Crimson Red pedal supposed to emulate? I read through their description but can’t decipher their “classic amp from the 60s/70s” innuendo.

9. louisray

louisray

Jul 10, 2017

Dude, your review of both pedals in the other threads actually got me to decide getting the Sonic Silver UNTIL this Blue 360 was announced. So now I'm holding off on buying til we get some demo/comparison videos out on the net!

Thanks for the update!

10. louisray

louisray

Jul 10, 2017
    Nick, between the Sonic Silver and Crimson, which would you say would come closer to the modern Orange bass amp sound? Just curious!

11. speedball3

speedball3

Nov 13, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    None
  12. Nick von Nick

Oct 29, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Thanks! I am flattered, and I think once the Blue 360 is available, I will probably invest some time to documenting some proper comparisons. I'll definitely need to think about which parameters I will use.

I'm not terribly familiar with the Orange bass sound, but I'm guessing the SSP would be the better way to go. The mid-boost/scoop options can get some solid grind.

My guess would be something like an Ampeg B-15N or similar. It definitely feels like a 15" or 18" speaker.

Nunovsky and speedball3 like this.
  13. louisray

louisray

Jul 10, 2017

Great, thanks for insight!

14. louisray

louisray

Jul 10, 2017
    Guys, there's a new demo out for the 360! And it's a real proper one too with a handful of settings tweaks.

Happy Holidays to all!

CapnSev, amper, P-oddz and 2 others like this.
  15. Nick von Nick

Oct 29, 2014
    Upstate NY
    I just checked their website, and this is the kind of documentation I like!

20181226_OneControlBlue360.

Granted, it doesn't fully capture the tonal characteristics of the circuit, but I have no questions about what the knobs do!
    ~Nick von Nick

speedball3 and louisray like this.
  16. I've got one of these coming from Japan (family travelling there right now) so I'll report here next week once I get it.

17. louisray

louisray

Jul 10, 2017
    Please do! Thanks in Advance!!

Bass Invader likes this.
  18. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    The 360 was the best amp I ever had. I like the tone A LOT in that second video. I’ll be getting one of these I believe.

19. Hello bass friends.

OK, I've just taken delivery of a shiny new Blue 360 fresh from Japan, and here are my initial thoughts.

It's pretty fantastic!! But like the Sonic Silver Peg and Crimson Red pre-amps, it's pretty clear that One Control and BJF made this Blue 360 also with a very specific use case in mind. There's not that much versatility here to be honest, but if the sound of a classic early slightly overdriven solid-state amp is what you're after (like I said... very specific use case!) then this is definitely the pedal for you.

It seems like the overdrive sound is always on. The switch on the side goes between 0dB and -18dB attenuation, but even with the -18dB engaged, when you match unity-gain (which is the volume knob all the way up) you're getting that overdriven sound. Disengage the attenuation and pull the volume down, and you're still getting the overdriven sound. It's extremely touch sensitive, so I find that even at low volume settings (in 0dB attenuation mode) if you dig in, you're overdriving. The only way to get a clean tone here is keep the volume low and play gently.... I guess much like you are running into a really hot amp, which is what it's emulating. So my feeling was it might be better to think of this as less a pre-amp in the traditional sense, and more a dedicated and very specific overdrive effect.

But I have to say... it's a pretty glorious overdrive! It's a sort of warm transistory fuzz, without any harsh grit or distorted noise. It adds just a whole slew of warm driven overtones that results in a strong, compressed, driving presence. Transients and finger attack are clear, punchy and immediate (no sag or lazy pickup like the Sonic Silver Peg's tube emulation), so all in all it really feels like it would command a huge presence in a live mix.

The EQ is very good and I couldn't really make it sound bad! The high band is set at 3kHz which is perfect for increasing clarity of finger or pick attack, and also enhancing the occasional fret zing. The mid band is 600Hz, which I find far more useful than the Sonic Silver Peg's 800Hz... at least for my P-bass with flats. It's great for getting a more scooped "modern" tone for slap. And the bass band is extremely low at 32Hz, so doesn't really do much beyond adding some sub warmth when boosting, but is very useful for removing rumble and mud. Actually I noted that whilst the treble can cut/boost to -26/+20 respectively, both mid and bass knobs only boost to +6dB. They cut to -15 and -26 respectively though, so it's pretty clear that they're more intended for cutting, not boosting. So basically the EQ section can be thought of as having 3 functions I guess: adding attack and clarity, scooping the mids, or clearing up the subs.

So in summary, if you're considering this pedal then take note that it isn't really a pre-amp in the sense of how we know other pre-amp pedals, but more a pedal effect design to achieve a very specific warm touch-sensitive fuzz sound, and it does that extremely well. The EQ is useful for adjusting that sound, but that's pretty much the extent of the functionality here.

I'm definitely glad that I got it, but to be honest I am slightly disappointed because I was expecting that it could be more useful as a general clean pre-amp with smartly placed EQ points. Even though those expectations weren't met, I'm not disappointed in what this pedal turned out to be... and pleasantly surprised at how superbly it does "that" classic early solid state drive tone.

20. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    Loved my 360. This is tempting