One Weekend Spent Trading Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ferrport, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Ferrport

Ferrport

Feb 12, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    I had an Ibanez BTB 670 up for sale, because I recently bought the BTB 745 5 string. I explained to my wife that the sale would offset the cost of the purchase. Everybody's happy. IMG_6274.JPG
    Friday: Responder replied suggesting a trade, instead of a purchase. Wife was not impressed. I explained that the suggested trade would be more marketable, would sell, and offset the recent purchase.
    Saturday: Drove to a city 2 hrs away to trade for a 4 string Fender MIM Jazz 70's reissue. He was happy, I was OK with it, but figured it would be easier to sell. image1.JPG
    Sunday: Put the MIM up for sale. Noticed a 5 string I really liked, suggested a straight trade. Drove back to the same city, traded the 4 string Jazz for a 2013 Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass V MIM 5 string. IMG_6408.JPG
    Result: 3 basses in one weekend, no cash changed hands. Everyone is (seems) happy! Now, how to explain...

Attached Files:

2. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    Well, if you still have two basses when you were supposed to just have one, I can't help. My wife doesn't or won't understand that different instruments are needed for different things, I try and say it's the same reason you seem to need thirty different handbags but that makes sense to her.

3. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Whenever I put a bass up for sale, my wife always asks why? And she wonders how I have so many....

Ferrport likes this.
  4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

neat (fun) story about a productive weekend, trading! good luck with your wife! :thumbsup:

Ferrport and RiffwRiter like this.
  5. In my opinion, you're the real winner of the weekend. That is a nice bass.

Ferrport likes this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    There's really only one piece of information left out of the story. And it's really none of my business so it's more of an "ask yourself" kind of thing.

What's your financial situation? Are you guys living paycheck to paycheck? Or do you have an emergency fund and all bills are paid up?

If the transmission went out on your car or hers, would that be a real financial setback?

If you guys are somewhat strapped financially, I'm in her camp. If you guys would have to whip out a credit card to repair your cars or the washing machine because you don'thave $600 laying around, I'm with her. You need to pick one to keep and one to sell.

If you guys are doing well... money in the bank.... no stupid amounts of debt on credit cards.... not worried for a few months if either of you lose your jobs... then she needs to go take a pill and a nap. ;)

Jonithen likes this.
  7. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Shouldn't have to explain

Ferrport likes this.
  8. About 8 years back, I was scheduled for a double bypass heart operation. I spent a month off work waiting for the procedure. To fill the time, and keep my mind off the upcoming surgery, I went on a bass buying/trading spree. Not sure of the exact count, but I bought/swapped somewhere around 14 basses in that months time.

I think my total cash out was just under a grand. I don’t own any of those basses any longer, but they did serve a great purpose in keeping me from worrying myself to death over a pretty damn serious surgery.

My wife , who already knew that I was nuts, just took it in stride and said , try not to spend more than you should. She’s a gem!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    Ferrport and kodiakblair like this.
  9. redwingxix

redwingxix

Oct 21, 2015
    detroit
    good point, twofingers. For the most part my habit is self sustaining. Buy something, play it for a while sell it for a few bucks more, repeat. try and come out a little ahead when you can, take a hit when there's something you want right now.

Ferrport likes this.
  10. Ferrport

Ferrport

Feb 12, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    Fortunately, my wife is quite understanding! She is very supportive of my GA Syndrome.

11. Ferrport

Ferrport

Feb 12, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    She asked about the sale of the 4 string, pointing out that I would now only have fivers. I explained that I am forcing myself to commit to the transition as I learn to play fives

12. Ferrport

Ferrport

Feb 12, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    You're right, I felt like I had traded 'down' with the move to the 70's re-issue, but it was in good shape and I figured that it was more marketable in either a trade or a sale, so I went for it, not intending to keep it. I have recently made the switch to fivers, so when I came home I saw this one advertised. The owner was surprisingly quick to trade. He said that he was not comfortable with the 5 string, and wanted something like it but more comfortable, and that he had initially debated between buying the 5 the 70's reissue, so he was very happy to get me out the door. When I got home, I learned that the output jack was intermittent, which explains his haste, found a bent pin, and it's a terrific bass for me at this point.

MoeTown1986 likes this.
  13. Ferrport

Ferrport

Feb 12, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    You're right, this would be a consideration, but we're solid. To be fair, I mis-represented my wonderful wife in the OP for the good of the story. She is fine with the trading, and has gotten used to GAS over the years, but was just pointing out that I had not followed through on the reason I stated initially. A fair comment on her part, and a fair observation on yours. Thanks for sharing.

two fingers likes this.
  14. Ferrport

Ferrport

Feb 12, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    Great story, and similar situation here. Test results continue to roll in, and my wife understands that bass playing--and trading--is a healthy distraction from medical uncertainty. Thanks for sharing.

15. Ferrport

Ferrport

Feb 12, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    Here's the current electric line up:
    2017 Ibanez BTB V 745, DR Blues
    2013 Fender Deluxe MIM Active Jazz V, DR Sunbeams
    2013 Squier Precision V, LaBella Original Flats

Main instrument:
    1948 Hofner Upright, Thomastik Spirocores

IMG_6465.JPG

IMG_1874.JPG

16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Your only mistake was misleading your wife.

How comfortable IS the couch?

17. Ferrport

Ferrport

Feb 12, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    The dog sleeps on the couch, and I sleep fine, Thanks. Just sharing a humorous story about trading used instruments, is all. By the end of the weekend, all 3 bassists were happy, and my wonderful wife has her own interests which I fully support.

18. tubedude

tubedude

Jan 19, 2015
    Ga
    Too bad we can't trade wives....i think.

19. Ferrport

Ferrport

Feb 12, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    I dunno. Some folks are pretty possessive of their bass gear, can't imagine how that kind of trade would work out! As for us, My wife and I have been together 30 years, and Looking forward to 30 more!