1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

opinions: 210 and 115 modular rig vs 410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman_al, Apr 7, 2009.

1. 410 alone

46 vote(s)
    36.5%
  2. 210 + single 15

80 vote(s)
    63.5%
  1. Hi all,
    Considering moving from Hartke 410XL to Hartke 210XL + Trace 1518C.

Opinions on the 210/115 set up as compared to the 410 alone?

I play in a wedding band. Jazz, junk, swing, rock, disco, motown.

SVT 3 Pro, Sansamp BDDI, Fender Jazz '62 RI

Thanks!

2. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    really depends on the tone your after but I voted 2x10 + a 15 because I like how they sound

3. ScottB.

ScottB.

Sep 14, 2008
    Devon, UK
    210 + 115

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Stack the 2x10 vertically.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    My favorite amp at home was originally paired with a 410, then I went to the 115/210, and much prefer it now. It does depend on what you want, though, and the Eden 15 will, imo, add to your sound.

6. djero44

djero44

Mar 3, 2009
    Paonia Colorado
    I'm really curious to see where this thread goes, i'm trying to decide between these two setups myself. I'm only familiar with a 4x10 setup and haven't got to try the other.

I read in TB the other day that there can be a phase cancellation potential mixing driver/cab sizes. How big of a factor is this?

The potential cost difference is a consideration for me too, but it could be worth it for the modular element and a (possible) more dynamic sound. My mind would tend to think the variety of cabs could produce a "fuller" spectrum, if you will. Is this true?

7. some have told me that the shorter waves produced by the 10's and the longer waves produced by the 15's can/will result in the sound being very different depending on how close you are standing to your rig. Others have said the 15/210 setup is a great option. So far the poll supports the modular...

I am no physics expert so I have no idea about the wavelength issue...

8. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    small gigs, I drag out one cab, usually the 1x15 (it has a horn). if i need the whole shebang, it is only 1 more cab to cary along. thank god for the shuttle! wowbass.

9. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    2x10s and a 1x15 one of my favorite combinations!

:) ... Gives you a lot of versatility and range

10. kcolyar

kcolyar

Feb 28, 2007
    Moab, Ut 84532
    I have only played through the 15 and 2x10 combo's before. But, it seems to me a bigger factor would be what brand of speaker cabs you are going to get. I am only going off of what I read on thesepages, but brand A 4x10 sounds different than brand B's 4x10 and so on.... So maybe it would be a bigger factor of what brand of speakers you get than the configuration. Again I don't claim to know anything only played through Peaveys in the 80's and they worked fine back then. I think I would be more influence by tone and portability than speaker configuration at my age.

11. other opinions? Poll is heavily favoring the modular still, but not a whole lot of voters total...

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Can you try it out for yourself? That would certainly answer the question.

13. Yup, always a good point. But I am always curious what others have found.

14. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Provided you buy good cabs, the 2x10 + 1x15 is the way to go. Why? Small gig portability. Yes, you WILL be playing small gigs at some point in your life... why not plan ahead?

just make sure you either have a head that can drive 2ohms or you makes sure to buy 8 ohm cabs...

15. Good points Harry. I am soon-to-be 42 and starting to really wonder why I lug around my Hartke 410XL when I already own a 210XL that has sounded great for years. Why not by the Trace Elliot 1518C that is for sale in my neighborhood, sell the 410 for hopefully about the same price and save my back in the process? I am already doing gigs that are smaller, and even for some of the larger ones the 210 would probably work, but the added 15 on the bottom would sound great. I tried them out together last night, and even though its a bit "ghetto" in that the pieces are "mix and match" (Ampeg head, Hartke cab, Trace cab) it sounded good to my ears.

16. Dunno about that, what I do know is that the larger the base of sound the less you can hear the midrange when your not stood infront of where your cabs pointed. As far as I'm aware it's nothing to do with driver size alone, if you stand at the side/above of a 1x10 you will hear the midrange better compared to a 1x15, but if you do the same with a 4x10 you will hear less mids in the same situation then the 1x15, that's my understanding of it anyway.

17. Any other opinions out there? Poll is favoring the modular by more than 2 to 1...

18. so I bought a Trace Elliot 1518C to go with my Hartke 210XL. I'll A/B that rig against the 410 and describe the difference for anyone else who is curious. So far it is as earth shaking as the 410, but I have only played it about 30 minutes in the basement "studio" that I have at my house.

19. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Yeah, let us know how it goes.

20. Another vote for the 210/115 setup. I have Avatars and a GK Backline 600.
    Yeah, I'm happy.