1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Orange Amps questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J03YW, Mar 10, 2013.

1. J03YW

J03YW

Nov 23, 2012
    So I recently got a TC Electronic BG250 but I decided I want to go bigger, so I'm looking at orange amps. I like all 3 of their heads- the Terror 500 and 1000 as well as the AD200B. However, I have no idea what sets them especially apart besides price and power, as well as loudness. I'd also like to know which speaker cabs go better with them. Here's some more info- I usually play a precision bass, I play metal and prog rock (think Mastodon, Yes, Rush, Electric Wizard, Dream Theater and Meshuggah) and I love bitey tones. I know that Oranges are quite punchy and bitey without being just stupidly outrageous, and that a 410 would sound nice. Thanks

2. Stevosimpson

Stevosimpson

Dec 31, 2012
    Winnipeg, MB
    I personally love the AD200B, here's a demo of As Blood Runs Black's bassist playing his orange rig. Sounds killer for slap, picking, overdrive, just about anything you can throw at it.

3. J03YW

J03YW

Nov 23, 2012
    sounds a bit muffled, but I've watched quite a few videos and it sounded nice. I'm in high school, so is it worth waiting a year or two to get this god tier stuff?

4. Stevosimpson

Stevosimpson

Dec 31, 2012
    Winnipeg, MB
    Yeah in that video it does sound a bit muffled, his recordings on the album really showcase his playing style though, lots of funk influence.

5. I think the best bang for your buck, would be to pair a TB500 with a fEARless 115. Huge sound, pretty portable to boot.

FWIW Orange doesnt make a cab I would spend a dime on. YMMV.

6. J03YW

J03YW

Nov 23, 2012
    The terror 500 has been speaking to me, but I don't want to cheap out. I want to keep this amp for life.

7. It will really depend on which cab or cabs you choose, to determine whether the 500 or 1000 is the better choice.

8. J03YW

J03YW

Nov 23, 2012
    I want to be able to get a head and like a 410 cab and then later get a 115 or something to get more bass out of it.

9. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Oh boy:crying:

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    It's like trying to plug a leaky dike with all your fingers - then all your toes, innit? But the leaks, they just keep on a springin'... :ninja:

MM

11. Fuzzbassian

Fuzzbassian

Jan 12, 2012
    One of the main features that sets the terror bass and the AD apart is the power section.One is a digital power amp,the other is a valve power section.
    In my opinion,for some of the genres you listed,the AD200b would be a better fit.You really need to read up on tube amps vs solid state amplifiers and decide which one suits you best.

12. vbchaos

vbchaos

Sep 5, 2011
    Groningen, The Netherlands
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Here we go...
    115 != more/lower bass

13. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    The question is, which will handle underpowering better, 410 or 115?

:)

14. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    LOL!!! This is goin' nowhere good, and fast! Luvvit!

15. Despite reading thousands of posts regarding the 'limitations' of the AD200b, OBC 4x10 and 1x15, I still go back to my stack, which is now 4 years old, and LOVE the sound it makes.

I also own lightweight amps and more modern cabinets, and yes they sound great...but that Orange stack is a beautiful tone machine.

Use your ears and try it out at rehearsal.

The TB500 would be a damn good amp instead of the 200b if you want to spend less.

16. vbchaos

vbchaos

Sep 5, 2011
    Groningen, The Netherlands
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    :)

17. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
  18. punisher911

punisher911

Jan 20, 2005
    Clawson, MI
    After you get the TB500 ;) for pete's sake... Spend the $30 and replace the chinese made 12Ax7s that it comes with. Your eq will be glad you did...:hyper: and to save some money, shop used. I picked my TB500 for about 550.

15's bass vs 410... how does this never die? I've yet to find something with "more bass" than my SVT410HLF. That being said, my future plans are possibly including a Fearful 15/6. Would be sooner rather than later had I not just ordered a new Taylor 618e.. (don't hate me for the guitar, I'd rather play power chords on a jumbo guitar over an acoustic bass anyday for our acoustic sets)

19. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I use a TB500 into an LDS 15/6/1 and it simply kills. :cool:

20. oinkbanana

oinkbanana

Oct 20, 2011
    you've come to the wrong place.