1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange Terror 500w Cab Recommendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassISfckingAWE, Oct 21, 2013.

1. bassISfckingAWE

bassISfckingAWE

Aug 22, 2013
    I'm buy the Orange Terror 500w head for a low price and want to know what you guys think would be a good cab for it. I was thinking a Markbass 2x12? Can I use any cab? On the Orange website they say the options for cabs are:

Speaker Output options (Heads)
    1 x 8 cabinet (impedance switched to 8 ohm)
    1 x 4 cabinet (impedance switched to 4 ohm)
    2 x 8 cabinets (impedance switched to 4 ohm)

Does this mean the head only supports these size cabs? If so let me know because that would suck..

2. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    What other"size" cabs are you looking for?

There are many ways to combine cabs in series/parallel and achieve 4 or 8 ohms.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The Markbass 2x12 is a fine choice, get it at 8 ohms so you can add a 2nd one later, should you need more volume. In fact, unless you get a big cab, like a 412, 810, 215, etc, make sure you get an 8 ohm.

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    With the Avatar B212, you can get it in orange Tolex and it's a very good cab. :bassist:

geowis likes this.
  5. What those specs are telling you is that you can either use one 8 Ohm cabinet, one 4 Ohm cabinet or two 8 Ohm cabinets with the amp. This has nothing to do with speaker size.

For example, if the Markbass 212 can you're after is rated at either 4 Ohms or 8 Ohms, it will handle the amp just fine. Mind you, if the cab is rated at 8 Ohms, you will only be using about 300 watts of the full 500 watt rating of the amp. This is due to the higher Ohm rating resulting in more resistence.
    If its rated at 8 Ohms, you can use two of those 212 cabs through the same amp at 4 Ohms effectively running the full 500 watts of power.

The same rule applies if you're using a 410 cab. You can use either one 4Ohm 410, one 8 Ohm 410 or two 8 Ohm 410's with the amp provided the cabs can handle the wattage output of the amp.

6. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Incorrect, the orange terrorbass can putout the same wattage in either 4 or 8 ohms. Hence the switch.
    But you are correct it has nothing to do with speaker size.

7. punchclock

punchclock

Mar 19, 2007
    Kansas City
    Bass Gear – July 2011-Issue 6

The output power of this amp is where things really get terrifying. At four ohms, the amp was able to crank out 519 watts continuous, with a burst power of 972 watts (cue the theme music from Psycho). The amp handled dynamics and transients well under lab conditions. It does appear as if the non-defeatable limiter can really clamp down on the Signal, and the limiter appears to have been programmed with a relatively long release time, exhibiting a recovery that exceeded one second in our dynamic burst signal. Results from our burst signal test are illustrated in Fig. I.

The amp also performed well in our gain tests. As the input signal was swept over a range typical of bass signals, the output and distortion products behaved predictably and linearly up to the steady state limits of the amp, as illustrated in our plot of distortion as a function of output in Fig. J.

The preamplifier has a lot of gain on tap. With the Gain knob relatively low (e.g., round 9:00), the output exhibited a relatively clean signal with strong second and third harmonics. As the Gain knob was turned up, the distortion products increased significantly, as illustrated in our distortion product plots of Figs. K and L.

One somewhat unique feature of this amp is that the output power is rated at 500 watts regardless of whether the load is 4 ohms or 8 ohms. How does Orange accomplish this feat? Through intelligent limiting. The power amp is definitely capable of putting out 500 watts into 8 ohms, and the impedance switch reprograms the limiter, or otherwise sets an arbitrary peak signal ceiling, when the switch is in the 4-ohm position.

Our tests bear this out. With the switch in the 8-ohm position, the amp output about 500 watts at 8 ohm, with a burst of 637 watts. On the other hand, with the switch at the 4-ohm position, the amp output just over 500 watts, with almost 975 watts burst. The burst output is drastically different for different loads. Also, in our continuous power measurements, we recorded about 62 Vrms at 8 ohms, and approximately 45 Vrms at 4 ohms. Here, you can see that the amp is scaling back the maximum continuous output when the impedance switch is in the 4-ohm position.

http://btpub.boyd-printing.com/ipho..._issue=76122&src=&ref=https://www.google.com/

8. Really? The Terrorbass can do that? Holy crap! :eek:

9. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Yes, it truly is a terror. One hell of an amp.

10. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I have the Bass Gear magazine with the Terror and yes, it's actually tests out with MORE power than it's ratings. I also want to repeat that the Avatar B212 is orange tolex would be a great sounding/looking little half-stack.

11. +1

a TB-500 and a fEARful 15/6 would easily surpass a 410 in volume.

12. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Smaller, lighter, lower, louder, pick four.

13. Yep. Screw you Hoffman... ;)

14. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Jul 11, 2013
    Dimension X
    You can get some serious volume (and tone!) pairing up the TB500 with just a single 8ohm 210 cab. It's a beast of an amp.

15. My only issue with that setup is getting decent note definition and clarity. A 210 is fantastic for smaller gigs and bands but once you throw in a second guitarist and a frantic drummer, a 210 will almost certainly get buried despite the ample headroom from the amp.

16. JB36

JB36

Apr 22, 2010
    Albany, NY
    I owned a Terror wwith an Acme low B 2x10 and the Terror seemed like it could have crushed that cab and it still didn't put out the volume I wanted. I would use a pair of 2x10s or a bigger cab.

17. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Jul 11, 2013
    Dimension X
    I was using a Warwick WCA 211 PRO with that head at first (still have it). But yeah I would say the TB500 could destroy it. I got the SP212 cab a few months ago and that cab can take everything that that amp can throw at it. The bottom end is huge and the tone stays with it as the volume goes up. Seriously loud rig. They make a really good match. I've played it through a few Ampeg 810 cabs too. Great amp with all the cabs I've used.

18. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I use two Orange 1x15 cabs with mine. Make no mistake this amp kicks big time.

19. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I'm going to guess that it seemed like the Orange could have crushed your Acme...only because you expected your Acme to behave pretty much like any typical 2x10 cab - and the Acme Low B2 is anything but typical. :eyebrow:

MM

20. I've played my TB500 through my 8x10, 2x10, 1x15, 2x10 & 1x15, and 2x15. Also played it through a Glasstone a while back. Sounds great through all of them, but I particularly like it through my 2x15. Every cabinet is different though... I'd just take the TB with you and try out a bunch of them.