1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Parallel boxes

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Thunderscreech, Sep 27, 2008.

1. What I am looking for is a box or something that can split the bass signal, run it through two pedals, and then re-unify it. Like two EHX Switchblades, but in one unit, with something to switch between 1, 2, or both. is it an A/B/Y Box? or something different. I don't know what it's called, so I can't really search for it. :confused:

2. Beachcoma

Beachcoma

Mar 19, 2007
    Utrecht
    A ABY box followed by a mixer, or a DIY custom box. Its pretty easy to build for those that have any experience building pedals.

Sorry I couldn't help with a commercial product, just not my territory:D

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Search on "blender", that's the word you want. :) Lots of commercial options available.

4. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Boss LS-2

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Boss LS-2 indeed. As of today, it is the only readymade unit able to achieve this.

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    I use a Rolls 4 channel mixer to split and recombine 4 parallel signals ...

pedal.

7. Jazz Ad

Good idea but with passive mixers, you're lucky not to have feedback issues.

8. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    yes that can happen if I set things a certain way ...

9. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    Could you explain a little bit =O

10. Ric5

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    When I run a passive bass and I turn off the Marshall pedal then it will feed back ...

but if I run an active bass or simply leave the effect on or turn down the slider it will eliminate the feedback ...

But this is a poor mans Geddy type parallel effects board.

11. Jazz Ad

In passive circuits, signal can go both ways.
    Say you run 2 channels with true bypass pedals. If you turn one of them off, the channel becomes a simple cable. Since current follows the easiest flow, if will barely go into the other channel, unless it provides a lot of gain.
    In this case, you may run into another issue. Signal going out of the second channel will travel backwards through the bypassed pedal and feed back at the input of the active pedal.

12. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    But the funny thing is that a Rolls active mini-mixer isn't that much more expensive, especially used.

13. How would this work? the word Input and the S=Send/R=Return got cut off by my scanner.
    BlendPedalSchematic-2.

basically, A[SUP]s[/SUP] and B[SUP]s[/SUP] are the sends, and A[SUP]r[/SUP] and B[SUP]r[/SUP] are the returns. The first switch goes between the A and B channels, and the second one selects Both mixed or switching.

Both Switches are DPDT, and the blend pot I'm not sure what value it should be. I have a Hammond 1590BB project box I plan to build this in, and jacks and switches will come from RadioShack or Small Bear electronics.

Would Diodes solve the feedback problem?

14. Jazz Ad

Your circuit is optimistically simple. Passively blending signals is asking for trouble. You need buffers.

15. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Passive blend is a terrible idea. I may be mistaken, but I think diodes would only solve the feedback problem if your signal was always above the voltage threshold, which is unlikely.

16. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    Is there something like it (passive mixer) but without those issues??

17. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Yes, an active mixer. Or an active blender such as the ones we talk about all the time in this forum, the LS-2, Barge, Xotic, etc.

18. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    Is there any disadvantage with them? like something passive mixers have and they don't?

19. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The only disadvantage of an active mixer is it requires power (battery or other power supply).