1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Parametric EQ/LPF+HPF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IronMaiden, Mar 7, 2010.

1. I'm looking for a parametric eq with at least 3 bands. One with an option for the high and low band to do shelving and bell shaped with Q. Is there one like that? I don't care if it's discontinued if there are at least some floating around being sold used.

It would also be nice if there was a sweepable LPF and HPF on it. Or would I have to get those separate?

Rack mountable or with a rack mount kit would be nice for both devices.

2. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

3. Nice price range too.:D

Anyone have any opinions about the Symetrix 551E, PreSonus EQ3B, Nady PEQ-5B, and the Rane PE 17?

I heard good things about the Nady and some bad things about it. I think the price is too good to be true.

Are there such things as 1u rack HPF and LPF strips?

4. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    With Parametric you may find the 4 or 5 bands more to your likeing. I have not heard any pedal parametrics. So I can't be of any help. But as a rack mount the TC Electronics 1140 is a great mono parametric. You can get a good deal on a used one.

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    an Ashly PQX-571 has everything you're asking for and more (7 bands, high/low shelving,and all of them adjustable from 20hz-20Khz. i have a Presonus EQ3B as well, and while its a decent unit, the Ashly is superior. i paid $150 for a mint Ashly 571 (used). its not a pedal, but rather a 1U mono rack eq.

6. Thanks for the info guys!:D

I think I've narrowed it down to the Ashly PQX-571 and the Rane PE 17.

My decision is going to be weighed on whether or not I decide shelving is more important than having a HPF and a LPF. If there is such thing as a 1u HPF+LPF strip I think I'll go with with the Ashly hands down.

So would buying both give me what I want perfectly or would it be best to stay with just one?

7. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    If you have shelving the effectively you could have a HPF+LPF,

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    all you'll need is the Ashly. IMO, two would be way overkill.

here's a pic of the Ashly:

[​IMG]

9. Orban 642. Really good EQ's that are still relatively cheap as they were marketed more to the broadcast industry than the recording industry. 4 band parametric with sweepable HP and LP filters. Sound great.

10. Good point.

Thank you johnk_10 for showing me the miracle cure!

11. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1 for Ashly. I have owned several pieces by them, both old and new, and every one has been world-class. Their para EQ is noiseless and natural-sounding.

If you can find one, their discontinued (and kinda rare) DPX 200 combines a full-featured para EQ with a very good compressor and a surprisingly good mic preamp, in 1 RU.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020