Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Passive P pickup help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Im thinking of replacing the stock pickup in my ibanez TR 50 bass, its passive, and i dont know where to look, will all passive P pickups just sound essentially the same?

Id ideally like something that has a bit of "crunch" with it, but i think im only likely to get that with an active pickup :crying:

2. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    check out the Seymour Duncan 1/4 Pound Pup. MMM MMM MMM. Got one im my MIA Pbass. Great lows and crispy highs with SS roundwounds and great output too.

sean

3. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    +1

4. Dimarzio Model P is sweet too!

I heard Billy Sheehan uses one.

5. hmm, i dunno which to go for, thats the thing with pups, you cant really try before you buy, not over here anyway

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I like the Fender Original 62 P pickup alot. It definately has crunch with roundwounds, and maintains clarity while being super warm. I have a clip directly into my soundcard here. There's some crappy plugin "overdrive" I added again, but the rest of the clip is just the P straight into the sound card. :)

7. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    What's the availability of replacement pickups like in Scotland? I'd usually recommend Bill Lawrence's P-46 but I don't know if you can get them there (or if the cost of shipping overseas would be prohibitive).

A good pickup that's likely to be available is the Dimarzio DP127 Split P. Lots more balls and output than your stock pickup for sure.

Also check out Dr Dimento's pickup shootouts as linked to in one of the sticky threads.

8. Pickups can be ordered into the shops, but usually arent there already, id probably just get them from music123.com or another such US site

9. I recommend bestbassgear.com great service, prices and fast shipping.