1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Past & Present: Your dream bass at age 15 & your dream bass today...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Jan 7, 2012.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    I was just reflecting with a friend of mine about how much my tastes have changed (or more likely, developed and discovered) since I first began playing and now.....and how much popular music and trends may or may not have affected that....

Lets see your DREAM BASSES from childhood and today!!

Here are the objects of my bass-lust from various points in my past:

AGE 15:

[​IMG]

I loved that "Honey Violin" natural finish.... in the early 90's the world was dominated by slim Ibanez Soundgears and pointy neon basses... this just screamed unattainable luxury to me....

l.

I thought the BC Rich wave bass was the most unbeliveable thing I had ever seen. I stared at pictures of it for hours after smoking really bad grass :D

[​IMG]

To my fevered young mind, the all-maple Spectors were the ultimate insane luxury... the total perfection of bass. One of the very few Dream Basses that has remained beyond my financial reach. Still one of my favorites.

Age 25:

kingstel1.

s_MLB_v_O_f_192626975_3220.

At this point in my life I was OBSESSED with progressive rock and metal... and was going gonzo for headless, ultra-modern basses. I would have killed a hobo for a real Kubicki Ex-Factor

TODAY:

If I could own any 3 basses today they would be:

[​IMG]

exfactorblk.

[​IMG]

Show us yours!!

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    When I was fifteen, my dream bass would have been an Alembic. I'm not sure I have a dream bass anymore. I just appreciate a good bass period. I guess a really nice Streamer, a Ken Smith, or some sort of boutique Jazz would be ideal for me today.

3. Don't have the pics to show but at age 15 mine was a Jazz Bass and I acquired one in LPB at that time. What's funny is that over all the years wandering off in all kinds of different directions it's what I always come home to and what I play today only this one is Olympic White. Everything I want to hear out of my playing I can get from a Jazz Bass.

4. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    At age 15, an Alembic, definitely.

Today, at age 52, I would just really REALLY love to have back the Turner Renaissance fretless 5 that I had to sell after my divorce. Damn, I miss that bass so much....

5. I want a Warwick Streamer LX

6. When I ws 15, I was more into cars/choppers, but I did want to play bass like Mel Shacher (sp?) or maybe Geezer. Didn't really have a "dream" (or any) bass. :D
    Now, many, many years later, my dream bass would be anything that plays and sounds well.

Well, maybe this:
    :D

Attached Files:

7. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    a left-hand version of jason newsted's 5-string alembic Elan. now, it will only be a dream bass because it's not even an option from them, but it would be a 5-string G&L SB-2 with an alder body, black, tort pickguard, quartersawn maple neck with a rosewood fretboard, clear satin finished neck, stainless steel vintage frets, 4+1 headstock.

8. age 15 (5 years into learning bass guitar)
    0146202332-f6daec55981448050b39885920f1b46c.

age 24 (present)
    [​IMG]

i now own my dream bass :)

i've owned a sterling, owned a spector, played warwicks and an alembic, been lent a tobias... and the only bass i would recommend to anyone would be the sterling.

i really didn't like any of them, they were soulless.

9. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

Apr 28, 2010
    O'Fallon, IL
    As a teenager, I enjoyed fishing, so my dream bass at 15 was a 6-8 pound smallmouth.

Now, it's my Lakland DJ4.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    At 15 my Dream bass was an Alembic Exploiter... currently any of my 3 main basses, but the Worker Bee at the top.

11. LowNotes1

LowNotes1

Jun 8, 2008
    Back in the 70's, my first dream bass was a Gibson Ripper. Bought it and then sold it for my next dream bass, a Rickenbacker 4001. Eventually sold that too. Nowadays, I wouldn't mind having a Ric again. I always wanted a Sting Ray as well, but the longer I wait the more expensive they get.

12. 15: Fender Jazz Bass

Now: (21) Musicman Classic Stingray 5

13. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Beatle Bass was it. A close friend had one and was in a band, so I got hooked from that point.

14. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I didn't start playing till age 16 I think...

Back then I liked:

[​IMG]

A few years later I was all about:
    corvetteBubinga.

I've been through several brands. Including EBMM and Spector as well.

I'm pretty happy with my Lakland and want a 35 inch scale Jazz V in green burst. :)

15. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    at age 15 ( which was 1968 for me), i had two that i really wanted, a hofner beatle bass and a fender precision in sunburst/rosewood.

in '69 i got the p bass (brand new), and in '71 i got the hofner (used), while i have quite an assortment of basses now (35 of them, ranging from many fenders, a few rics, to an alembic to a gretsch, to mulitple gibsons), my P bass and hofner are still two of my favorites.

73pbass-1-w.

beatlebass-2-w.

16. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    15: A black/maple '70s Jazz with a BAII
    Today: Same thing.

17. I don't think I any one particular model of bass as a dream bass, but I wanted to find out what other brands of basses (and amps) existed besides what my local music shop carried (Fender and Peavey). I sent off for all kinds of brochures from companies like Ken Smith, Pedulla, Carvin, Kubiki, and several other companies.

My main interest was getting my hands on a 6 string bass like a Ken Smith. Six string basses were not common place in 1987. :D Neither were five strings . . . ;) (at least not where I lived.) :meh:

18. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    At 15, an old Fender Precision. Today, an old Fender Precision, Jazz, or Stingray.

19. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    +1

We must be the same age...

20. Can I get in on this ?

At 15 I was a huge Duranie. The Reflex was topping the charts, I had just got my first bass (a cheap P-bass copy) and I totally aspired to a top notch Ari Pro II. I picked up a lesser Aria in my late teens and then finally scored this one a few years back.

[​IMG]

By 25 it was the 90s, I had graduated college and gotten a real job so I could afford my new dream bass - the one that all the UK bassists seemed to go for at the time. A Warwick Streamer. This is one of the first batch of bolt-ons.

[​IMG]

By 35 I had moved from the UK to the US, gotten married and had some kids. Having grown up in Essex in the UK, I wanted to get back to my roots and so began my affair with Status-Graphite.

status-s2-classic.

This isn't mine, but I have owned 4 of them (3 of which I still own).

I am happy where I am at in life now, so both the Aria and the Warwick are up for sale (am I allowed to plug my own TB classified?) ... to fund another Status purchase naturally.