1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Paul McCartney and his Basses

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JD Supernatural, Feb 21, 2012.

1. bbjonz

bbjonz Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    Yes, I remember that story. And yes, I think that does qualify. I can't imagine that Paul would have purchased rounds on his own. So assuming the '66 Jazz arrived with flats, maybe Paul instructed Mal to cut the corresponding strings from the Steinway in studio 1. Hilarity ensues when, a few weeks later, Van Cliburn plays a low E on the Steinway but there is no sound. Same for the A, D, and G...

terr0rgasm and nixdad like this.
  2. Van Cliburn: "@#$% McCartney!"

(studio engineers twiddle their thumbs, whistle and look up at the ceiling...)

terr0rgasm likes this.
  3. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    I see what you mean with the string noise on this track, I think the bass probably already had rounds on it as I cannot see Macca asking for rounds to be fitted

nixdad likes this.
  4. terr0rgasm

terr0rgasm

Oct 8, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
    giphy.

12BitSlab likes this.
  5. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Acoustic Bass Amp in this picture.

6. Nick named "The Beatle Bass".

7. Me Too and I agree.

8. 36 years apart. The 2012 band is very good with excellent videos all over YouTube.
    But this 2012 performance finds Pauls voice not very good. Age? Maybe a cold?

RedVee likes this.
  9. Take Paul’s voice and bass (rick) sound from ‘76 and put it with the modern band, and then.... perfection!

Of course, IMHO

10. Paul's voice in the 2012 version sounds pretty good for a guy his age. His pitch control isn't quite what it used to be, and his voice isn't quite as strong as it once was, but lots of other vocalists have sounded worse at age 70 (Ian Anderson and Frank Sinatra, to name only two).

The 2012 band sounds great, though -- way better than Wings ever did.

12BitSlab likes this.
  11. Yeah, I mean, c'mon; he's 68 in that second video. Of course his voice isn't what it once was, but what do you expect?

Here's the same song from 2017; the sound quality isn't as good as the other clips, but his voice does seem to be slightly better than in 2012:

12. 70. That concert was in December 2012, and he was born in June 1942.

13. And... as I’m sure most of you know, today’s his 76th Birthday!!!
    Happy Birthday Paul!!!!!

ICM and terr0rgasm like this.
  14. Yes, I realized later I was having a senior moment or something. My bad! And yes, today he's 76 (or 74 in my limited mental vision of the world...).

terr0rgasm likes this.
  15. terr0rgasm

terr0rgasm

Oct 8, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
    And I dont care how shaky his voice is now....

WHO else knows any other 76 years olds who are NEARLY in such performance condition???

Stones are still killing it as well!

They dont make 70 year olds like they used to! They make them better!

16. I went to one of his concerts last summer, 2.5 hours nonstop. All of his bandmates got a break here and there, but Macca never left the stage.

I wonder how many of those saying he doesn't have it anymore could do what he does, at their age, much less at 75.

Concert was awesome, BTW, one of the best I've ever attended...and that's a lot of concerts.

ICM, 12BitSlab and Craig4003 like this.