1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peavey IPR 1600 - INTERNAL PHOTOS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gastric, Jan 13, 2010.

1. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Mr Brown delivered my Peavey IRP 1600 just now. I unboxed, marvelled at how light it was, shook it (nothing rattled), peeked through the vent holes and noted the chassis was pretty empty, then proceeded to take the top cover off to take these photos.

I haven't plugged it in yet or tested it, nor do I have any way to scientifically validated it's performance, NOR the space to totally open it up and drive some massive load for hours to see if it causes a nuclear meltdown.

So you'll have to simply enjoy the photos and note this guy REALLY is super light as advertised.

Two things to note:

1. There's a little piece of cardboard press fit near the exhaust fan, apparently to help focus the cooling on whatever the component is under the cardboard. I'm sure one of you will know what it is. :) The cardboard is the only questionable engineering I happened to notice.
    2. There are some seemingly unnecessary "handles" on the front of the unit that stick out nearly 1 full inch. The knobs on some of my other rack gear stick out that much so it shouldn't be an issue. But it's not like you're trying to remove a 40lbs boat anchor so I'm not sure why they're even there. ;)

UPDATE 01/14/10
    * Added some photos of the front bezel while receiving AC power, and while powered on
    * Briefly tested unit, it works fine, no odd noises or artifacts, appears to have plenty of power
    * LEDs are extremely bright, not unlike most current products (Genz Benz Shuttle) that use ultra bright LEDs these days
    * Fan blows back-to-front like most power amps
    * Fan runs constantly while on. At low bedroom volumes (trim to -30) it noticable, but not obnoxious. Low 50's in the dB range as measured with a digital dB meter. At practice volumes the fan quickly ramps up and is noticeably louder, though I'm guessing you'd probably only notice it if you stand near it and listen for it while playing. I'm testing this in a small 12x12 home office all by myself.

I personally installed an ultra-quiet aftermarket fan ($12) in my RMX as the fan was obnoxiously loud in my office even at bedroom volumes. That's a distant memory at this point, but I'd guess the Peavey fan is close to that loudness when you start to really push it.

UPDATE 01/18/10

Had the opportunity to use the amp a bit more today. It seems to have a ton of power, I can barely turn the gain trim to around -20 in my home office before my kids come in from outside and tell me to turn it down. It seems agressive and punchy, though I can't say it's any more so than the QSC RMX it's replacing. Again, I can't easily A-B them, and I'm sure the gain trim cannot be compared apples to apples due to difference in input sensitivity, etc. But the amp doesn't seem to suck. :)

The only gripes I currently have are that the gain knobs are extremely easy to turn, there's very little resistance, and no detents. If anyone has a Chunk Systems pedal you know how easily those knobs turn. These turn easier. :)

The bump-out "handles" on the front make it slightly difficult to install rack mount screws on a SKB Flyer Roto style case due to the way the rack rails are recessed into the molded area of the case. Wouldn't be an issue with a non-Roto case since the rails are flush with the front edge of the case on the other models.

Internal photos
    peavey_ipr_001.jpg
    peavey_ipr_002.jpg
    peavey_ipr_003.jpg
    peavey_ipr_004.jpg
    peavey_ipr_005.jpg
    peavey_ipr_006.jpg
    peavey_ipr_007.jpg

Powered off, but connected to AC. Fairly dim, but the power and logo are lit.
    peavey_ipr_008.jpg

Power on, not receiving a signal which generates even more LED.
    peavey_ipr_009.jpg

LED array in back right corner really lights up the box.
    peavey_ipr_010.jpg

Showing how tight it is to get screws between a Roto Flyer rack and the bump-out handles on the IPR. Minor inconvenience, but I kept dropping the screws as I couldn't fit my man fingers down in there.
    peavey_ipr_011.jpg
    peavey_ipr_012.jpg

2. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I got a flashlight with more parts in it than that.
    Very cool; I sure hope it sounds good; love the idea of low parts count, high power, low weight, and killer sound for cheap!

3. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    Would anybody happen to know if these are available in Europe yet?

4. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I'm not sure I'd consider a PCB with 2,000 microscopic surface mount components "low parts count". :)

5. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    I can't see the pics :O

6. Looks pretty slick! The inside looks quite a bit like the Walter Woods Ultra amps. I recognize some of the 'pieces'.

I think the handles are put there for knob protection as much as for lifting. Your rack lid should fit over with no problem.

7. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    I like the cardboard. Screams "Quality"...

8. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    That looks like some high quality specialty use cardboard...

To me...

=wr=

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    These days, a circuit board is a "part."

But I wonder... all that empty space is screaming to have a bass preamp put in there. :D

Bill Whitehurst likes this.
  10. Very cool. Tiny transformers but some big ass capacitors.

What's the part number on those power devices soldered on the main
    board? U1620G?

Is there a part number on those green things on the back of the case?

Does the fan blow in or out? I'm wondering about that cardboard myself.

Nice amp. I'm holding out for the IPR 3000.

11. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    I love my Peavey CS-800S amps. I'd love to have 22 more of them. This thing? Send it back.

Sorry, BOB

Bassist 2 likes this.
  12. Ditto. The "cardboard" looks to be a high quality non-conductive material commonly used in high-end compute servers to direct airflow to the hottest components ie mem and procs.

In this case it looks like its in place to increase airflow directly over the power transistors and around the caps.

Nothing cheap or questionable about its use. Sound (no pun intended) thermal engineering.

13. Progress Bob ;) BTW kept looking for a PM in December, you not make the trip to Az?

14. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Wow! That is sparse. I like it.

How deep is the chassis? I can't tell from the pictures.

15. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    How are they heat sinking the output fets? There must be a big aluminum plate under that center of the board. I'd like to see them do a better job with heat sinking and dump the fan. That would be more expensive, but the only thing that's going to fail in that is the fan.

Nice Power Suppy!

Only wish the DSP version had USB.

16. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Any link to a manual?

I am wondering how much it will push Bridged at 8 ohms... if it will do that.

7LBS right?

17. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
  18. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    My thoughts exactly. Well, my first thought was "holy crap, why on earth did they design it with so much empty space?" But right after that I thought "hey, there's room in there for a whole pedalboard's worth of tone shaping and pregain stages!" :)

19. lem8r

lem8r

Jan 6, 2010
    Ukraine
    It seems that empty space is for DSP board in higher models..

20. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Rated Power (2 x 2 ohms) - 800 watts per channel @ 1 kHz at <0.1% T.H.D. both channels driven.
    Rated Power (2 x 4 ohms) - 530 watts per channel @ 1 kHz at <0.1% T.H.D. both channels driven.
    Rated Power (2 x 8 ohms) - 300 watts per channel @ 1 kHz at <0.1% T.H.D. both channels driven.
    Rated Power (1 x 2 ohms) - 1000 watts @ 1 kHz at <0.1% T.H.D.
    Rated Power (1 x 4 ohms) - 600 watts @ 1 kHz at <0.1% T.H.D.
    Rated Power (1 x 8 ohms) - 320 watts @ 1 kHz at <0.1% T.H.D.
    Minimum Load Impedance - 2 ohms
    Maximum RMS Voltage Swing -55volts

It's impressive that they got the amp weight down to 7 pounds and the price to $300, new! If you already own a nice preamp, this is a low-cost ticket to good (not great power). Just MHO; I would've liked to see 1Kw @ 4 ohms and do away with 2ohm capability. The IPR1600 is 1/3rd the price of a PLX1802...1/3rd the power as well.

IMO, the price is the main selling point of this amp, not the power it produces. Thanks, Gastric for posting the photos; I've wanted a peek inside these things since they were announced! My inner geek is happy now. :)