1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Period-correct pre-amp to pair with Crown DC 300A?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chris 'Wighat' Jordan, Jun 1, 2014.

1. What are some early pre-amps? Late 60's early 70's. I'm not even sure there were any.

2. Alembic F2-B

svtb15 likes this.
  3. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    +1

4. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Yup Alembic F2B.... That is exactly what i used in the 70s... And just got back to using it again.. I bought mine in 77.. Still sounds great after a recent Recap of the PS.. Its Glean, fast, tight and you really cant get a bad sound from almost any setting. .and it matches a DC300A well

5. subbasshz

subbasshz

Aug 11, 2012
    phoenix az
    Im addicted to punishing volume.
    acoustic 360?

6. audiorep2

audiorep2 Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Yamaha PB1

zon6c-f and interp like this.
  7. Mid to late 70's I had an IVP.

8. sowilson

sowilson

Jul 5, 2013
    I use to use an Ampeg B25 as a preamp for a rack of DC300A's. Kept a TL606 pluged into the B25 to keep it's power amp happy

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Period correct Crown preamp:

crown IC150

I used to have one of these, pairing it with a D150A at the time.

Just like this, but with no broken switches as on this one. :)

crownpair_face.

zon6c-f and synaesthesia like this.
  10. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Furman made a 3-band parametric equalizer with instrument-level input that got paired with a DC300 fairly regularly back in the day...fugly green thing that was the predecessor to their PQ-3.

zon6c-f likes this.
  11. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    I had a greenface PQ-3 I bought in '78 that I used with my D150A in a bass rig back in those days. At one point I had a Furman crossover that ran the two channels of the Crown into a large EV midrange horn and an Acoustic 106 cabinet with EVM15s.

In the mid '00s I had a blackface PQ-3 that I used as a DI/preamp for recording and gigging with.
    Jeff-800-0009.

zon6c-f likes this.
  12. I had a PQ 3 I used with a BGW 300 back then with hame brew dual 1-15 JBL Clone. Then I got the Yamaha PB-1 which was a huge improvement over the noisy Furman. Actually if read up on the PB-1 some people compare very favorably TO the Alembic. I still own the PB-1 and it's on semi permanent loan to a friends studio and they love it!

13. Thanks, all. Happy to hear more suggestions.

14. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Ashly SC-40.

15. 83_Silberpfeil

83_Silberpfeil

Aug 15, 2011
    +1 on the Alembic F2B and Crown DC300a combo. That is my live and at home amplification. Sound is very clean and tone is very vintage. Bonus --- looks great in the rack. Modern sound guys at gig venues (GenY/Millenials working the soundboard on an iPad) get a kick out of it whenever I open up the rack case.

16. F2B and DC300A are a classic combination.
    I'd be curious about the Crown IC 150, as well.
    They seem to be rare.
    I've never seen one.
    Safe to say it is what Crown would tell you use
    and it would be well matched to the 300s input sensitivity.
    Plus, it would just look so very intentional and thought out.

17. Type-55

Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    I used to work in a Hi-Fi store, that's what audiophile stores were called back then.
    Sold Crown, McIntosh and other audio gear. The crown stuff to was very brittle and hard sounding.
    The IC 150 was brutal to listen to even on vinyl. The DC 300 was a workhorse but had a very hard sound to it as well.
    I would recommend the F2-B as well. It helps warm up the Crown amps. Even the Crown amps that were used for PA stuff in the early 90's
    can't remember the models had really deep bass but the mids and highs were like running your fingers down a chalk board. I went for the Hafler
    Pro 5000 amp instead. Not the low end heft of the Crown but so much sweeter in the mids and highs. If you want vintage with a good tone go with McIntosh.
    Just my opinions.

18. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I'm the one guy that couldn't fall in love with the Alembic that I owned that would be period correct.
    Agreed that Ashley & Furman units are also period correct.

19. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    :nailbiting: just thinking about the idea of moving that around :nailbiting:

20. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    I had an IC 150 back in the early '80s. I don't recall how it sounded but I used it with my D-150A in my old stereo system. Since the late '80s I have an Aragon 24K along with an Aragon 2004 that drives a pair of Magnepan MG-1c speakers with a mod added to the crossovers via the jumper terminals on the back of the Maggies. Sounds glorious but I never had the nerve (nor will I do so) to run a bass straight into the system. I do have a Definitive Technologies Super Cube II running, also, so the system gets down to about 14 Hz, great for those into low F# basses!