1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pink Himalayan Salt

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lonesomedave, Aug 11, 2012.

1. alright....so we've started using pink Himalayan salt for most cooking. you can get it in different forms, from carvings to hold candles, to blocks, to coarse and fine grinds.

works wonderfully and tastes great. a little more pricey, but as little as we use, not a problem.

so...my question is. does this salt contain Iodine? or, does it contain enough Iodine?

i mean, i don't think i'm in line for a goiter, but it would be a real drag. i know Kosher salt doesn't contain iodine, but this pink stuff is advertised as having umpteen natural minerals.

any thoughts.

davesignatureII-1.

2. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    i think i once heard that iodized salt was unhealthy. like you say, i don't think iodine deficiency is too much of an issue in modern day america.

i have a few fancy salts i got as a gift once, including pink himalayan. fun stuff. but i don't use it regularly.

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    When I was in Miyako Jima, Japan they had a salt store in the main town. This store sold nothing but various flavors of salt. All different kinds of colors. Pinks, whites, blues, browns, purple. All of it was edible. Pricey stuff though. Different flavors ranged from tangy salt to sweeter salts.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Nope. You only get iodine in industrialized salt. We serve some sashimi on pink himalyan salt block. Walu, albacore, halibut, yellow tail... Very nice... In our kitchen we have Sel Gris which has a really nice mineral content, large crystals, goes with big food taste. My fav on steak. We use flaked sea salt as a finishing salt, Maldon is available all,over the place ... and Fleur de Sel as our day to day cooking salt. They are all cleaner tasting than the Kosher salt that was our old standby.

As far as iodine in your diet, if you eat procesed foods or eat out at all, you're getting plenty...

There is a shop in Portland that has many different salts available. They are on line as well. Name is The Meadow. Mark Bitterman is the chef/owner. Nice resource for several things I cook with, salt and Bitters among them.

5. The different colours are caused by the different impurities in the salt. Pinks/reds/browns are often caused by iron (oxide) in the salt, though the others impurities factor in too.

Never really tried fancier salts personally though.

6. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    I have a huge chunk of it in my living room. I drilled a hole in it and stuck a light bulb in it. Makes a cool light. Fun when you have guests over and you try to get them to lick the rock.

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    It's sea salt, although the sea in question was at a whole lot lower elevation than up in a mountain range a few million years ago. I don't think sea salt is a great source of iodine, but I can't speak as to what the iodine concentrations may have been a few millennia ago......

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Great....salt snobs now too. :)

-Mike

9. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Whats the best salt for metal?

10. what's the best salt for metal?

:D

davesignatureII-1.

11. man, talk about great minds thinking alike!

davesignatureII-1.

12. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Indeed. How do you feel about fretless salt?

13. BATH SALT.

14. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Blawm mwawm mwawm... YUM!! Can I get a sample??? :hyper:

Where's the sushi thread?

I imagine a salt encrusted fish using the pink salt would be a special thing.

15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

It is rock salt, which is typically the result of a dried lake bed rather than coming from the sea.

It comes from Khewrah mines that barely touch Himalaya at all. I guess Himalayan sells better than Pakistanian salt.

Il is very poor in iode compared to sea salt, which doesn't matter much.
    Salt shouldn't be your primary source of iode anyway.

16. Jazz Ad

If you get into unrefined salts and fleur de sel, they indeed all have different tastes, colors and textures.
    It doesn't come from the salt itself, which is a very simple compound, identical in composition and taste in all places.

Differences come from associated minerals and algae that grow inside the salt. These are specific for each salt facility.
    These subtleties completely vanish when you cook the salt so to cook your noodle you'd better use the cheapest possible salt available.

17. We had a candle holder (for those small "tea light" candles) made from a chunk of this stuff. It looks interesting when lit from inside.

The problem is that it seems to absorb moisture from the air, then drip it onto the table top in a big salty wet spot! Maybe it's more of a problem in high humidity?

Also there is no best salt for metal, it causes corrosion.

18. ok, makes sense...but what about putting it in dishes?

like, eg, biscuits, or sauces, or burgers.

i know there is not a heck of a lot of difference, but we have found that we like it. maybe psychological? don't know, but hey.

davesignatureII-1.

19. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The flavor differences are very real, because the "impurities" (extra minerals etc.) are very real. As Jazz Ad said, the different colors are an indication of what else is in there besides sodium. Iodine is usually not high on that list of inclusions though.

The ideal is to sprinkle them on right when the food is served, after cooking, or use them in uncooked dishes.

20. Jazz Ad

Exactly.

[​IMG]

cookies-chocolat-fleur-sel-L-qrIcvj.