1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please help me with routing my mixer

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    Ok so i have RTFM several times but im still confused. Since one of our bandmates didn't bring his headphones, i thought we'd try a live setup in the basement

Here's the mixer im working with:
    http://www.tapcoworld.com/pdf/Blend6_OM.pdf

So im running inputs 1 and 2 are for the Vibraphone

3 will be for Keyboard
    4 is for sax
    5 is for bass

I run the first aux send to my pedalboard, and the out from the pedalboard in aux return 1

The second aux send goes to my loop pedal

the left main mix went to my amp

For some reason even if i do put the out of the loop pedal back in aux send 2 i can't get it to work

What i want to have happen is for me to use my pedalboard and loop pedal independent of each other. So if im playing my bass through the pedals i can do so without interrupting my loop pedal chain

all i got was my clean sound coming though and no effects. and the bass was pretty quiet compared to the keyboard.

what am i doing wrong? I tried turing up the first aux send so i could hear the pedals but i was not sucessful. and i tried isolating the aux send 2 so i could just hear the loop pedal but i couldn't hear that.

Im thoroughly confused. any ideas for me?

2. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    First problem I see is that the mixer is in stereo and you're using it like it's mono. The keys and bass will make it to your amp but the sax won't since it is going to be sent to the right main out and your amp is only on the left. (You'll only hear one of the vibe inputs too)

Second problem is there is no Aux 2 return. Just a single, stereo return, but 2 sends.

You could try finding a way of connecting the looper into the tape input, but I'd be asking whether you need the bass to go to the pedals via the mixer or whether instead you could use the pedals as a preamp.

3. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    could you explain that last part of it? would it just be more efficent to run my looper after my pedalboard but still in aux 1?

also i will probably run my sax separate like you said. why would i only hear one of the vibe inputs if left was in channel one and right is in channel 2?

it would be nice to loop the sax if i wanted but how can it be done?

4. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Oops! Sorry the vibe will work.

I like the idea of taking the pedal board out of the mixer and putting the looper in the aux loop so the sax and even vibes can exploit it. Use Aux 1 or 2 (doesn't matter) and use the left aux return.

You *could* even try connecting your keys into the left tape in, instead of in channel 3. You might need to move the sax to channel 3 to hear it, although I suspect it'll loop okay where it is.

My main advice is to experiment with every input and output on your own, and learn all you can by trial and error. You'll probably enjoy it! Feel free to email me if you have more specific questions.

5. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    so where would the pedalboard go if it's not in one of the aux loops? after the mixer, before the amp/house? and if i did put the keyboards in the tape in, how would i play them? just press the cd/tape to main mix button? what would that do to the rest of the mix?

6. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    also, i don't think the keys would go through the looper if the looper is in the aux, and the keys are in the tape in... is this correct?

7. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Bass - pedal board - looper.

So you miss out on using the pedals for other instruments.

Or you could put the pedal board and looper in the one loop, losing isolation of the two but meaning everyone could use the FX and the looper.

Yes. The tape mix is an uncontrolled channel that will be mixed in to everything else. You'd have to use the master volume and the keyboard's volume, and it couldn't be part of the looper.

Yes. Basically you need a bigger mixer to do all the things you want to do. One channel per instrument (not half a stereo channel) and 2 aux's with individual returns.

One final other possibility was to put the looper back on aux2 but run its return into the tape in. Trouble is, you would lose your keys this way. Sadly, you have to decide which feature you can live without. If you

8. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    ok, so im about to get an amplification system for my vibes. could i put those in 3/4, my bass in 1, sax in 2 and keys in 5? if 3/4 and 5/6 are stereo inputs, does that mean like left and right channels? or is that assuming you are using a Y cable?

what would be the advantage of putting my pedalboard and looper in the aux as opposed to just running all of it after the mixer before the house?

9. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Running the pedals and looper after the mixer will save you some aux's which might mean you can use the left return as an input, like giving you another channel to use.

The only place I see you using a Y-cable well is to use both the Left and Right outs of your mixer and Y-cable them into your bass amp.

Not knowing what you're thinking of as a vibes amp makes it hard to know what to suggest.