1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Post your Studio! <Talkbass Edition! v.01>

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by mz91, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Bonafide

Bonafide Rodney Gene Junior Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin
    Endorsing Artist: Carr Amps, FTT, Custom Tones, BIAB, Nick Silver, Many others...
    Aw, thanks man! Focal and Dynaudios (Through Dangerous D-Box). I am a low-volume listener and that setup is working for me.

2. Iofflight

Iofflight Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2018
    I had a feeling it was those two. How do you feel they compare against one another? (Low volume is the proper mixing method imo).

I have DSM3 but have been looking for a really excellent nearfield.

3. Bonafide

Bonafide Rodney Gene Junior Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2002
    Austin
    Endorsing Artist: Carr Amps, FTT, Custom Tones, BIAB, Nick Silver, Many others...
    Gosh man, you can find the BM5as for $500-$700 a pair nowadays! They used be really expensive back in the day. Forget their age if you find older ones, speakers just get better as they age. They cover the mid detail for me (6" driver) and the Focals (2 x 5" driver and side ports) are equal to 8.5" and offer greater low end definition. Honestly, I switch between the two without thought. The greatest change for me after years of audio work, was getting the D-Box. That is a true 'cotton out of the ears' piece.

4. Iofflight

Jan 21, 2018
    I've heard that about the D box. Thank you for your input!

Bonafide likes this.
  5. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    Apple iMac
    Garage Band and Amplitube 4 software
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
    Pair of KRK Rokit 8 monitors

I haven't figured out the recording functions yet. I mainly to play through when not using my amps.

6. Mannyinnewyork

Mannyinnewyork

Sep 28, 2016
    New York
    But you’re doing it. And that’s what matters most.

Hawaii Islander likes this.
  7. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    B0CC7393-A39A-43F7-B90C-FB2DF2359270.

8. mexicanjesus

mexicanjesus

Nov 28, 2018
    OKC
    Several guitars, 1 bass, Peavey system with speakers, sub and mixer, drums, effects board(gnx) and a bunch of amps.

Ha eafew pieces of sound deadning meaterial, it's super insualted and we don't sing.

All recording is from my brother and he uses audacity and reaper. It's mainly just playing around but he's wanting to get into it more seriously.

Edit: 2 midi keyboards and our usb to midi interface.

Attached Files:

Mannyinnewyork likes this.
  9. bass-studio-04.

10. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Just got a new desk the output platform. Very happy with the amount of work space i have now!

homestudio.

DirtDog, Iofflight, gscroggin and 2 others like this.
  11. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Thinking of getting some led's to light up the back of the desk, where do most people get their Led's for their desks?

12. Iofflight

Jan 21, 2018
    bassjamn likes this.
  13. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Thanks for the LED link i will check those out.

I had a snafu in my order as i got 2 of the 3 boxes within 5 days, the missing box took another week.
    The response i just got today from support(very late reply) is that they were backed up during black friday.
    hopefully you dont run into the same delays, I think they are a relatively small company for the amount of orders they are getting.

Iofflight likes this.
  14. Iofflight

Jan 21, 2018
    They didn't have a deal on the desk on black friday did they? I've never seen a discount or coupon code...

15. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    I dont think they had a sale, no

16. Iofflight

Jan 21, 2018
    Thank you! It's been bought as my xmas present.

bassjamn likes this.
  17. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

Good morning everyone. I am acting under command of SWMBO as my office / studio space design has been changed and this is causing a need for different furnishings. I am needing a small kiosk type computer desk, that is wide enough to handle a 32" monitor, with plenty of room for an ergonomic keyboard and mouse. I need a shelf for a mixer (Behringer XENYX X2442USB) and a all in one printer, scanner, copier, fax machine (HP Photosmart 7520e).

Can anyone recommend a good desk / workstation that will accomodate these needs?

Attached Files:

18. First post of 2019 ;)

Moving into a new place and my new ' studio' is tiny.
    I'll be using it as a dedicated practice and composition space. Tracking and mixing will have to be done elsewhere unfortunately.

New set up is built around an audient id4 and a pair of KRK Rokit 6's. Im running Protools and logic X on a macbook pro.
    It's a massive downsize from my motu rig but it's all I need at the moment.

For tracking bass I have an Avalon U5 and a GT's Brick. The DI on the audient is JFET and sound superb too.

19. Iofflight

Jan 21, 2018
    Hey a word to the wise about the leds, I just went through a box of em and blinkered it because I cut the lights and used the connectors. It was a disaster, the connectors just don't work well and it was a massive exercise in frustration. At the second pass I didn't cut the strip at all. I instead tried to fold the strip at the cutting points if possible at the corners and used tape to hold it in place. Also It won't stick to the sides of the wood where there is no shellac. I ran mine over the entire bottom portion of the main desk over the key tray as well as the back of privacy slat and up across the area behind the racks up to the monitor.
    F5A77820-1C9A-42AA-AA84-6E4F82A401F5.

7DC32073-7F8E-4509-9D9B-08D54CEF0866.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    bassjamn likes this.
  20. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Ellicott City, MD
    Endorsing: Spector Bass Guitars
    Doing a ton of writing.. all I need at the moment :D

B777CDD5-C504-486C-9B82-7394ECAB368A.