1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question About P-Bass Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by p-bass, Sep 29, 2009.

1. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    If you only had one bass and it was a Fender Precision Bass,what kind strings would you string it up with ? I wonder what strings would be considered the most versatile on a P-Bass.

2. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    good strings

3. LaBella 0760M.

4. 8250's.

5. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    What kind of "good strings" ?

6. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    The kind made out of cats.

7. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    these, or 7150's.

8. I like pie- cherry pie, with ice cream. Mmmmm......

9. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    You do ? Wow,can I go to your birthday party...duh. I am really interested in knowing what you guys consider the most versatile strings on a P-Bass.

10. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    If you search these forums you'll find many different answers. A lot of guys like flats, but they don't work for everyone, etc. etc.

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I love GHS Brite Flats on my P. They're cheap, last a long long time, and you can get a lil snap out of them too.

YMMV.

12. I would probably throw on a set of Chromes

13. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    Interesting,I have thought about giving these a try. I have a MIA Fender Precision and am looking for the most versatile string for a P-Bass that can cover the most ground.

14. I currently have Ernie Ball heavy-gauge Slinkies on my Squier P-Bass. For me it would be either those or Rotosound RS66 Swing Bass strings. Never had the Roto's on my P, but they sound really good on my Jazz V, so I want to give them a try. Fender 7250's are also amazing.

15. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    They feel like crap for the first gig or two, but they smooth out very nicely. Give em a shot, they're only like $22.00 from Jack's Music.

16. Fender 7250ML

17. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
    I second this. I used to run chromes on my ibanez pbass and loved the smoothness I got out of them.

18. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    If it was the only bass, it'd have DR Sunbeams (45/65/85/105). If it's the only P-bass and I have my Laklands, it's be Lakland Joe Osborn flats (or GHS Precision Flats) in a similar gauge. That's because if I only had one bass I'd want strings that cover a wider range of tones than a great set of flats. But because I have the advantage of having mulitple basses, my P wears the best flats I've found in over 30 years of gigging.

John

19. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    TI Jazz Flats.

20. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    +1.

The 7250MLs have a nice round sound that just sounds good on a P bass. They are punchy and warm but still with some of that round would bite. And the transition from the A to the D string is smoother than the 45-105 sets I have used.