Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

R&B / Funk Standards?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Gyoon, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Gyoon

Gyoon

Nov 12, 2004
    Toronto, Ontario
    Who woulda thought? I'm just joking here. I come from a jazz guitar background and and know that there are jazz standards. I recently went to a funk jam with my bass. I got there and realized I didn't really know any common funk/soul/R&B standards. I've been told that Cissy Strut, the Chicken, I Feel Good, are some common examples. Can some others name some more? I'm just looking for the most common 10 or so that I can focus my energy on.

PS just checking out Chaka Khan's first solo album "Chaka". Some crazy bass playing. Makes me wanna quit. Or practice. Whatever. "We Got The Love", "I Was Made to Love Him". AJ is just making a mockery of the changes.

2. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I know a lot of guys who make a very good living by knowing the same 40 R&B standards. Funny that it's all stuff that was popular to urban R&B fans in the late 70s to mid 80's and somehow you can make a living playing it at the weddings of people who were born around that time.

3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Yep... it's amazing what you have to play to get paid... The usual suspects...Brick House (Commodores), Let's Stay together (Al Green),Love and Happiness (Al Green) Celebrate (Kool and the Gang), Pick up the pieces (AWB) , Goodtimes/Sugarhill Gang (Chic), For the Love of you (Isley Brothers), Let's Get it on (Marvin Gaye), What's Going on (Marvin Gaye), I wish (Stevie Wonder)

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    R&B standards? Only about 2,000,000, just like in jazz :D

Any of the hits of Ray Charles, James Brown, Temptations, Smokey Robinson, Isley Brothers, Aretha, Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, etc. etc. and I haven't even gotten to the 70s yet :p

I can't imagine picking "the most common 10" any better than picking the ten most common jazz standards.

5. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Well, hey, there are much worse things to do to pay the rent than play an Al Green song. I spend a lot of time at home listening to the Temptations for free, you know?

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Man... if I hear someone request Mustang Sally again on a gig, I'm gonna freak out!

7. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Yo, J-Raj, could you play "Mustang Sally" for us? Puhleeeeeze?

:bag:

8. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    :D

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    but in Db...

:eek:

10. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    on the B string right?

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

;)

all the strings

12. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

*sarcasm*

But really who uses the B string?

:bag:

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I DO!!! (where the heck else would I put my thumb) :ninja:

14. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Hey man, it's where I rest my drink. :smug:

15. hey did anyone mention "Jungle Boogie"? how about anything from the Parliament/Funkadelic, Chic, Average White Band, or Ohio Players catalogs? if you want to learn some greasy funk, come to any funk jam in New Orleans!

from the depths of groove,

Stew

16. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    NOW we're talkin bass!

Add to those: Lakeside, Slave, Cameo, Sly, et al. A lot of these aren't "standard"...but then again it depends on where you're playin'. There have been numerous times we'll pull out "Knee Deep" by Parliament and the floor gets packed with "that's my jam!!!"

17. as we say in the Old Country, BOO-YA!

all great recommends!

I've got some vintage Level 42 playing right now. hardly standards, but some killin' low end!

you ever make it to N'Awlins or the City of Angels, GSPLBASSDC?

18. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Mark King and Level 42 is why I play bass today!!! :D :D :D

19. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    In my vast listening experience, most bass players do not play "Mustang Sally" correctly. I've heard tons of players try to make it "a little hippper" by adding some extra notes and totally destroy the groove.

20. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    I saw Cameo @ house of blues in Chicago. Bass player was great. Runs all over the stage (Drugs??). Most people were about my age 47 now. It was cool I swear the whole biulding was moving in time. Oh yeah I think I was 1 of 5 white guys in the place, but it was all good and cool. Word Up