1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommendation for Power Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by george7117, Aug 23, 2007.

1. george7117

george7117

Aug 22, 2007
    Hi all, first post.

My question is this:

I am looking for a light, portable power amp. I will be running a sansamp rbi into the front and powering a 2x10 cab.

I want something that is light, faithfully reproduces the rbi sound, and will travel well and last a LONG time. Also, dual channels would be nice but not totally necessary.

On another note, I don't have the cab yet, so if anyone can recommend a solid, light 2x10 that would be great.

Cost is a factor, but just because I like to pay for solid equipment, not overly expensive boutique gear.

Thanks again,

DG

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hi DG, welcome to the forum. Most of your questions will be best answered by searching on terms like "lightweight power amp" or "light 2x10" etc. They get discussed all the time.

That said, your best bets for a lightweight power amp are the Acoustic Image Focus SA and the QSC PLX2 1804. The AI sells for around $900, and I've seen the 1804 as cheap as $600.

3. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I tried this route too. Good luck in your search. Everything I found that was lightweight was expensive. At that point, I just went with a all in one head and used my SANSAMP for recording or as a DI.

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I have a Crown XTI2000 that seems to wrk pretty well with the RBI and a 2X10 (mine is an SWR II). It's a bit sterile but I don't think the power amp is the reason as much as this was what I started using after my SVT (the RBI, amp, rack tuner and rack bag weigh about 45# together, much lighter than the SVT's 80#).

5. Got my QSC PLX 1104 on the bay for around $500.

6. 1804 and 1104 are 13lbs by the way.

7. high mileage

high mileage

Apr 17, 2006
    Rockford IL
    Not the XTI, I have one with an Ashdown thru an 810E and that's what it sounds like. I've also played thru a PA rig with these amps and it sounded great. I'll bet it's the SWR cab, I have one of those too...

And I'd go for another XTI. Actually I'm thinking about building a second/backup rig and will probably buy another one for it. I think there's a used XTI2000 in the classifieds right now.

8. Uziel

Uziel

Sep 2, 2003
    France
    Stewart World... better than the QSC PLX ;)

9. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Peavey DPC

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    How? In what specific way(s)?

11. Uziel

Uziel

Sep 2, 2003
    France
    i found that PLX are not as "bass-y" as other poweramp (i use a CA9)

12. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I think you need to define a couple things:

#1 - what is "light" to you? What weight range is acceptable?

#2 - what price range? Some folks find Sadowskys to be a good value buy, some folks say the same about Squier - where are you in the continuum?

In fine TB tradition I'll spew an answer without knowing your answers to the questions I posed. The power amps I settled on initially were the Carvin DCM series (DCM-1000s for me). at ~25lbs they are reasonably light (compared to say QSC RMX power amps), reasonably inexpensive (compared to say QSC PLX power amps) and very shallow. I bought 2, still have one and sold the other to our drummer and it's still going strong running parts of the PA.

Used QSC PLXs are another option with the PLX04s being very light if you can live with the limitations. I found QSC RMXs to be too heavy for me.

I haven't tried them but Crown XTis and Stewart World power amps are nice and light. The Peavey DPC series can be found used and the Soundtech PS802 is fairly light.

But it all comes down to what weight and price ranges you are interested in.

13. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I use an Ampeg B2RE as a power amp with a SansAmp RBI as a pre. Sounds amazing.

It is a 2U rack unit, but definately not in the 6lb range!!!

14. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    If this is true - it's still nothing a very little bit of EQ would make the QSC as bassy, and save many pounds of weight.

15. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I'm using a Crown XTI 1000 now with my RBI and it's got plenty of power and sounds great.It weighs 17 Lbs and is a one hand carry in my Gator 4 space rack.The XTI 1000 is about $500.I'd also say the Carvin DCM 1000 is a good amp and at $350 would work fine.The QSC 1804 is nice too but pricier at $699.Any of these would be great.

16. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The SWR 2X10 sounded great with the SVT head (older blackface, maybe 80's?). I think what is getting to me is the lack of natural tube compression with the RBI. I've tried compressor pedals but they don't really sound good to me. I haven't tried an actual tube unit like the Black Finger yet. I also have a modded ADA MB-1 that sounds good but is a PITA to dial up tone changes on. I miss my SVT :(

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    If the other power amps had some kind of bass boost (although they probably don't), that could be true, because the PLX amps don't have any bass cut.

18. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    I don't know how any of you guys can actually hear the difference between two power amps?!! One of the few noticeable differences is the input sensitivity between the Crown and QSC amps. QSC amps have a lower level of input and the Crown have a higher level of input. Basically, you have to crank input signals with the QSC up more than you would the Crown amp. Most mid priced to high priced power amps sound the same and there really is no way to tell them apart. It's just: power, extra features, and weight that really change the price around.

george7117 - find an amp you like, read about it and make sure it vents front to back. Side ventillated power amps can be problematic especially in a tight rack case.

19. high mileage

high mileage

Apr 17, 2006
    Rockford IL
    Good point - Crown XTI and QSC PLX amps are fine in this regard, and I think most PA type power amps will be as well. I haven't run into any high powered amps that vent thru the side but there may be some out there - avoid them. It seems more common with bass heads like the SVT4 and more than a few others.

20. george7117

george7117

Aug 22, 2007
    Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it.

As for now, I am looking at a Carvin DCM 600 driving an avatar 2x10. It seems to be the most cost effective solution.

Any opinions ........... ?