1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Remove this cat urine from my strap!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Nov 1, 2013.

1. So,

I love my cats.

But i do not love it when they mistake things that aren't thier litter box for a litter box.

Last week, i guess two of my bass straps looked like litter boxes to them. Of course i didn't know until i got to practice and slung on my bass.

It was gross.

So, how do i remove it? I'm really just worried about degrading the leather-y parts on the end.

One is one of those standard nylon(?) types:
    [​IMG]

and the other is a Fender strap:
    fender-monogrammed-guitar-strap-blk-yel-brn-0990681000-87-p.

Thanks!

2. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I hope you get some good replies. I use the same kind of generic nylon straps and it would be nice to know what to do in the event they get sprayed.

3. madrob

madrob

Aug 22, 2006
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    I would just throw them out.

4. tekhedd

tekhedd Tone chaser Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    Owner/operator of BYTE HEAVEN
  5. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Had it happen to my 3" wide Levy leather strap. Cost way to much to just toss. I just hand washed it and after shaking out as much moisture as I could I let it air dry. Was about 3 or 4 years ago this happened and I still use it. You'd never it ever had any issues. I think I used either regular laundry soap or Murphy's oil soap. Can't remember which. My strap is 100% leather btw.

6. wolffire99

wolffire99 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2013
    St. Louis
    Vinegar soak. 1 part vinegar to two parts water. Let sit overnight, scrub had rinse.

7. hotrodjohn

hotrodjohn Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2009
    i say rock'em - now they got lots of MEOW-JO!
    :bag:

8. That's what my Pintrest-addicted girlfriend recommended. I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't hurt the leathery bits.

Thanks, all!

9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Regards leather after through wetting or scrubbing with soap and washing out the natural oils leaving it stiff and prone to cracking. Get a bottle of neatsfoot oil and apply it (sparingly) to the leather and it will soften it right back up. It's also good if you want to increase the water resistance of your leather footwear. You can also use mink oil but having used both I found neatsfoot oil to be the better of the two when I was keeping up my constantly filthy work boots.

Saddle soap is an excellent leather cleaner that will get the crud but won't leach too much of the natural oils while doing so.

10. Itzayana

Itzayana

Aug 15, 2012
    Oakland Ca
    Cat piss is forever.
    Buy new straps and take the cat for a ride to the next county.

11. kikstand454

kikstand454

Sep 28, 2012
    After using any of these great ideas.....I suggest you air it out outside in a sunny area as long as you can.
    fresh air and UV rays will kill ALOT of odors.
    this is the best way to get rid of mothball/mildew smells off of stored clothing/ military surplus.

12. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Along with the cats.

13. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    +1

Unless you like the cat piss mojo. I hear that's the new thing.

14. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
  15. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Most likely it wasn't a mistake.

If they find their litterbox too full, or they have some other complaint, they sometimes pee on our things out of protest.

Male cats will "mark" things to establish territory (even after they're neutered if the habit has already set in). The liquid they spray is not urine but still has a foul odor.

Unfortunately in either case it's a signal for them to keep peeing in that spot so it's important to get the straps cleaned or at least move them away from the rest of your gear right away.

16. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Cat pee, the gift that keeps on giving.

17. Woofer

Woofer

Sep 24, 2008
    OBX
    Just get new ones. (Straps, not cats)

And stop leaving your stuff out for them to pee on! They can't destroy what they can't get to. Learned that one the hard way.

18. Yango

Yango

Apr 14, 2008
    Earth
    Personally, as Woofer suggests, I'd just throw the strap out and buy a new one.

19. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Heyyyyyy Ohhhhhh!!!!!!!!

20. LakeEffect

LakeEffect

Feb 21, 2013
    Denver
    Step 1.... lure cat closer, step 2.... remove cat outside the dwelling