Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Removing Chrome?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassturtle, Apr 13, 2005.

1. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I've got some pieces of metal with a cheap layer of chrome on 'em. Any thoughts on how to get the chrome off?

2. No... but I love your avatar!

3. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    :D

You can thank Mr. BenjaminStrange for that. The only time I put up a different avatar is when he makes one for me :help:

4. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    sandblasting it should do the trick...

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Who? :confused:

brad cook

6. Isn't there a biker song about Chrome?

Brad - love your avatar. Spongebob is the best. :D

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Thanks. I got it from Embellisher in the thread about searching for TBer names in Google Picture search...so I guess my point is props to embellisher. :bassist:

brad cook

8. Suck it off?

9. Say... I know of this girl...it's been said...

10. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Barring that a Dremel should work fine.

11. I'm fairly certain that chroming something is not a process that's reversable.

12. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I think he's talking about chrome paint. Chrome paint will always chip off in time.

13. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I work in an electroplating shop. We have chemicals that can remove chrome. Depending on what the base metal is it can be a very simple process.

Check your phone book to see if you have a local electroplating shop. I'm sure they'd do it for a small fee, or maybe even for free.

14. Yes, it can be reversed. Dechroming is a common process and is often used in the street rod industry on old original parts that need restoration work done on the base before the top layers are reapplied.

When chroming steel and other other ferrous metals, copper is the common base metal used under the chrome.

15. Ah, I'm used to dealing with chrome on like aluminum stuff, where I've always been told that once you chrome something, taking it off is nigh-impossible. And when it IS done, it boogers with tolerances.

16. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Removing chrome is usually done with a strong HCL solution (30%-50%). Problems arise when the chrome layer has been removed and the HCL comes in contact with the base material.

If the base material is steel with a thin layer of copper between the steel and chrome you should be OK. The copper/steel will take some time to dissolve. Once the chrome has dissolved you should have enough time to remove the parts before this happens.

Aluminum is a different story. Aluminum is very reactive in HCL. A small piece of aluminum will completely dissolve in HCL in a matter of minutes. BTW, this is a neat process to observe.

If you have access to HCL solution you could try doing it yourself. Just be very careful with acids, and follow safety precautions.

17. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    That's what I was looking for. Thanks :D

18. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I'm surprised that it took 8 posts for someone to say this lol. I thought for sure I left myself wide open :oops: